Caring for your pet starts with care. If the dog began to lose hair sharply, and the molting period is far away, you should pay attention to the state of his health. Hair loss is a symptom of several diseases, a signal of disorders in the body.
Why does a dog’s hair fall out?
Only a specialist can answer the question, but not without the help of the owner of his patient. The reasons why a dog’s hair climbs are conventionally divided into two categories: hormonal and non-hormonal. Hormonal diseases accompanied by loss of coat:
- a lack or excess of estrogen leads to a gradual depletion of hairs, and then the dog’s hair falls out;
- significant hair loss is observed in Cushing’s syndrome, when there is an excess of a certain hormone in the dog’s body, there is a sharp weight gain and constant thirst;
- when the dog is actively gaining weight, the hairs on the body begin to break off and all this is accompanied by lethargy, there is a possibility of hypothyroidism;
- there is a whole list of breeds that are characterized by a deficiency of growth hormone, it causes baldness in a young animal during puberty.
A dog can also lose its hairline for other reasons that have nothing to do with an excess or lack of hormones:
- many breeds begin to lose hair too actively during molting;
- stress or a strong shock quite noticeably affects the appearance of the dog, her hair falls out after moving or a visit to the veterinarian, many pets react to a change in food or shampoo;
- bald patches in certain areas are sometimes a problem of a particular breed, for a dachshund a black acanthosis is considered a typical disease, a color mutational alopecia is often found in a Doberman;
- allergic reactions are diagnosed in the vast majority of cases, in such a situation, hair loss is accompanied by scabies or dandruff;
- for a young organism, parasites become the cause;
- The dog’s hair falls out due to bacterial and viral infections.
Dog is losing hair on its back
The back in the withers area is always more prone to baldness, since vaccinations and insect treatments fall on this part of the body. When the dog’s hair falls out strongly in these places, you need to examine the wound:
- The area of the croup and sides of the back after baldness appears when affected by eczema. These are the so-called weeping wounds. If the combing of wool during molting was of poor quality, parasites appeared, or the animal did not accept new food and shampoo, such reactions are quite expected.
- If the hormonal background of the dog is normal, but the bald patch is located symmetrically, it may be adenitis of the sebaceous glands. This disease occurs in poodles, dangerous infection of the hair follicles.
Dog losing hair on neck
- It is not uncommon for a dog to lose hair on its neck after buying the wrong collar. The parasite collar becomes the cause of the problem if the body perceives it as an allergen or the preparations turned out to be highly toxic.
- Violation of the production of thyroid hormones manifests itself in the neck area.
- If the breed is short-haired and the neck area is wrinkled, this is a possible site for a yeast infection. The formation of bald spots is accompanied by the appearance of an unpleasant odor in places with diseased skin.
Dog losing hair on ears
- If hair has fallen out on the ears of a dachshund dog, it is worth checking the diagnosis of black acanthosis, typical for this breed.
- Solar dermatitis in breeds with low pigmented skin has become an urgent problem. The main danger is the appearance of ulcers in the affected areas.
- An ear mite in the warm season is a likely source of the problem, because its appearance gradually depletes the hairline until hair loss.
- The dog has lichen, but the incubation period is long. Ringworm is not always accompanied by severe itching, therefore, it is not possible to recognize the problem in time.
- Lack of vitamins A, E leads to a deterioration in the condition of the skin and coat. The problem will manifest itself faster in a thin and vulnerable part of the body – on the pet’s ears.
Loss of hair on the tail of a dog
- The secretion of sebum is a source of nutrition for the coat, and when a dog’s hair falls out in places, this may be a signal of a failure in this very nutrition. If the gland secretes too much fat, it leads to baldness. Experts even gave the name to the problem “shabby tail”. Everything is solved by using salicylic acid and tar soap to remove excess fat and disinfect.
- Lice and fleas for a dog become a source of infection with helminths. Even after a single treatment and destruction of parasites, egg laying may remain on the dog, and this is again a bald tail after a while. Therefore, control by the owner is the first and most important point on the road to recovery. Additionally, if the dog’s hair falls out, a course of vitamins is prescribed to restore the coat.
Loss of fur on dog’s belly
- Sometimes the dog’s hair climbs in shreds and this is normal for the molting period. When the undercoat is difficult to shed, skin diseases sometimes occur.
- When an animal literally gnaws its fur on its own, it is worth checking it for parasite infestation. Vlas-eaters feed on blood and the upper layer of the skin, gradually cutting off area by area. The dog will scratch his stomach when fleas appear, then lick the wound, and this process is endless until the appearance of open wounds.
- The dog’s hair falls out in large areas, the wound with a characteristic pink tint – all indicate infection with ringworm or herpes zoster.
- Dermatitis of any origin leads to extensive bald spots in the dog’s abdomen. Here, the reaction to food or mixed nutrition, the presence of parasites in the hair follicles, even shampoo or floor cleaner can cause a reaction and baldness.
Dog is losing hair on its head
- Often the reasons due to which the dog’s hair climbs strongly in the muzzle area are parasites. Bald areas appear in the region of the eyelids and lips, the skin looks painful, the animal strives to comb the wound all the time.
- Solar dermatitis affects not only the ears of the dog, but also his face, even to a greater extent. Without intervention, the animal is in serious danger, and it is far from being in ulcers on wounds, but as a result, in autoimmune diseases.
- If the dog’s hair falls out symmetrically, this is a sign of adenitis of the sebaceous glands.
- Less commonly, vitiligo is the cause of hair loss on the face. As with solar dermatitis, hair loss occurs due to a decrease in skin pigmentation.
- If the skin is rough, covered with scales, these are signs of zinc deficiency. A characteristic pattern for arctic and northern rocks.
Dog losing hair on chest
In the chest area of many breeds, the coat is dense and the hairs are long. During the molting period, the dog’s hair falls out in clumps if the undercoat goes badly. A similar picture is observed for the period of pregnancy. A bald chest is the result of a number of reasons:
- hypothyroidism or a violation of the hormonal production of the thyroid gland will make itself felt by the gradual transition of bald patches from the chest to the sides and back of the pet, the dog becomes lethargic;
- a collar from parasites and treating a dog with drugs may well cause a reaction not only in the neck area, but also in the chest;
- Shampoo changes or poor nutrition remain likely and commonly diagnosed sources of the problem when a dog is shedding its coat.
Dog has dandruff and hair loss
The hereditary condition of increased oiliness of the skin is the reason that the dog’s skin is flaky and hair falls out. There are two forms of this disease: oily and dry, often both of them occur simultaneously, which makes treatment difficult. The dog actively licks the hair from the affected areas, scratches it, this leads to the formation of crusts and secondary infection.
The dog itches a lot and the hair falls out
In the vast majority, this combination of symptoms indicates an allergy or the presence of parasites. If we are talking about a young pet that has begun to actively itch, lose hair, you should check it for demodicosis. A tick that causes baldness and scabies can ruin the life of a dog of any breed, but it is more common in chapreys and bull terriers. Another reason why a dog itches and hair falls out is an infection with a scabies mite. If the bald spots are colored in a characteristic pink color and covered with a crust, the animal is infected with ringworm.
Dog hair loss after childbirth
It is believed that baldness after the appearance of offspring is quite a normal situation. Almost always, intervention from the owner is not required, the coat gradually grows back and the dog has enough quality food and vitamins as prescribed by the veterinarian. Even when the dog’s hair fell out and did not have time to grow back in a couple of months, there is no need to rush with the preparations. Some breeds lose their hair after they finish feeding their puppies.
The dog has hair loss and redness of the skin
Weeping wound with a red tint – typical of eczema. The source of the problem is parasites, allergies to food or care products, sometimes this is a consequence of poor-quality combing of the undercoat. The reason why a dog has a lot of hair from the genital area is hormonal abnormalities. Redness is often the result of constant scratching of the affected area or licking wounds.
Dog hair is falling, what should I do?
The first and main thing that the owner should do is to contact a specialist. When a dog’s coat is very strong, only a veterinarian knows what to do. The longer the trip to the clinic is delayed, the more dangerous complications can be.
- After the examination, the doctor will prescribe tests or scrapings if there are suspicions of parasites or infectious diseases. When there are no visible reasons, they turn to the list of hormonal ones.
- If this does not work, suspect allergies or stress in the dog. Here you will have to look for the source of the allergy by elimination, switch to good food with special additives, resort to the help of veterinary products for skin treatment and bathing.
- Against the general background, it’s good to take care of the dog’s immunity, resort to the help of vitamins and preventive drugs. But everything is exclusively for its intended purpose and under supervision.