Breeding chickens requires compliance with certain rules. Even before purchasing poultry, each owner must take care of arranging a chicken coop with the right perch for chickens.
The chicken coop itself can have different shapes and sizes, but the perch must always meet certain parameters. It is important to provide a chicken house with good thermal insulation, ventilation and proper feeders, because these factors are of paramount importance for the health and productive life of poultry.
Chicken roost dimensions
Before you build a perch for chickens, you need to decide on the size.
According to the standards, it should be half a meter above the floor level. This primarily applies to perches for laying hens. For one chicken, about 20 cm of perch is required, which means that 5 chickens can be placed per 1 meter. The size of the perch bar should be 50×50 mm or 40×60 mm. So that the chicken does not get injured when bending the fingers, do not forget to round the edges.
It is not worth making a vertical perch of several crossbars even for a small chicken coop, otherwise the chickens on the lower perches will be constantly covered with droppings.
How to make a perch for chickens?
- Our perch will be the most primitive. We fasten 4 boards of the required size into a rectangle, and sew the bottom with any sheet material that is available (thin plywood, tin, hardboard, boards or any sheet panels).
- We attach the bars around the entire perimeter of the inner wall of the structure. They will hold the net through which the droppings fall. The mesh must be large and strong so that the chickens walking on it do not fall through. We will attach racks to the manufactured box, on which a removable perch will be installed.
- We will make the perch removable so that it can be easily cleaned and washed. The crossbar (perch) is made of a bar with sharpened edges.
- Pour some sawdust into the tray. Cleaning such a tray should be done once a week. By this time, sawdust soaked in litter begins to emit an odor. Sawdust can be lightly sprinkled with layers of litter.
- If chickens walk outside during the day, the roost boxes will only be filled when the bird sits down for the night, which means that they will have to be cleaned less often.