A parrot is an interesting and intelligent bird. The owner of such a pet should understand that it is not enough just to close the parrot in a cage – you need to provide him with an interesting pastime so that the pet is not bored.
You can choose toys in the store, or you can make them with your own hands.
How to understand that a parrot needs a toy?
These birds are quite active and talkative. They love attention from the owner and yearn alone. It is worth taking a close look at the behavior of a parrot in order to understand whether it needs a particular toy, what shape, size, etc. it should be.
It is worth buying a toy if the parrot:
- loves to climb curtains;
- can hang on the chandelier upside down;
- often gnaws, chews or tears something;
- likes to look in mirrors and preen;
- examines his shadow and plays with it;
- likes to drag this or that object from one place to another, or even hides it;
- takes things out of a box, drawer, etc.;
- likes to look at something shiny;
- he is attracted by ringing and rustling sounds;
- holds various little things with his paw;
- holding and throwing objects;
- likes to roll round things;
- untangles knots.
With the help of such observation of a pet, you can choose the right toy for him that will satisfy all his needs.
Types of toys
In order not to get confused in the range of stores, you should know what this or that toy is focused on – for the development of intellectual abilities or for sports pastime of a pet. The main types of toys.
- Forage or developing. These are kind of puzzles that parrots love to solve. Often some kind of treat is hidden inside such toys, and the bird must use its ingenuity to get to it.
- Training apparatus. A parrot needs such toys so that he trains his wings, legs and other muscles. These birds, as a rule, skillfully cling, balance, so it is better to provide the cage with a swing and ladders.
- Gnaw. Parrots often gnaw or chew something, so it is better to add special toys to the cage so that the bird does not spoil furniture and other household items. Such gizmos are usually made of wood and contribute to the development of the pet’s jaw joints. But the period of use of such a toy is short. For budgerigars, you can, for example, choose a chewing gum from an apple tree or a pine tree.
- For outdoor activities. The parrot will definitely like all kinds of reels, for example, the “penguin on wheels” tumbler, which the bird will be happy to roll. Parrots are very active and they need to show their sports skills.
- Musical. If the owner is not embarrassed by periodic noise, then you can please the feathered pet with a bell or rattle. And for large parrots, special toys that sound when you press a button are suitable.
- Mirror. This accessory is already considered an inseparable element in the cage. It is believed that the parrot is interested in spending time with his reflection while the owner is not at home or he is busy with household chores. Some experts believe that the reflection in the end can replace the parrot with human communication, but the owners of these birds do not agree with this statement. In their experience, the mirror only contributes to the development of communication skills in a parrot.
- Cozy toys. To make your feathered friend feel comfortable and safe, you can add tunnel pipes, various winding rings, and even entire houses to the cage.
- Game stand. Some owners, in order to please their feathered pets, acquire a whole play complex, where there are ladders, swings, crossbars and other toys. Typically, this design is installed on top of the cage or on any surface in the apartment. With a playground, a feathered pet will definitely have no time to be bored.
General recommendations for choosing toys
To make the toy not only interesting, but also safe, ornithologists advise the following.
- Pay attention to the manufacturer, composition and material. The main thing is safety. A bird can chew on a toy, and it is necessary that it does not contain harmful dyes. It is worth paying attention to the quality of plastic (if the accessory is made of it). A parrot runs the risk of choking on plastic if it bites off a piece of a toy. If the product is rope, then it is worth checking if there are any protruding threads. It is important to pay attention to the size of the holes in the toy, otherwise the parrot’s beak may get stuck in them. It is better not to purchase toys with small parts so that the feathered pet does not inadvertently swallow them.
- Don’t limit yourself to one toy. She will quickly get bored with a parrot, so you should buy a variety of accessories. You can periodically change one toy for another or place them in new places. Then the bird will remain interested.
- In the pursuit of diversity, you do not need to strive to fill the entire cage with toys. The parrot will simply have nowhere to turn around and flap its wings. The best option for the cage will be two or three accessories.
- Toys must be selected taking into account the size of the feathered friend. If the parrot is small, then it will be difficult for him to play with a large object. And toys for large parrots should not be too small, otherwise they will easily break the little thing without even having time to really play with it.
- You also need to take care of the toy. The owners regularly wash and sanitize the items so that organic residues do not accumulate there and mold does not appear. If the toy is already pretty battered, it is better to throw it away.
- If you immediately hang the accessory in a cage, it can cause fear in a feathered pet, so it is better that he first get used to the new toy.
- It is important to show the parrot what to do with the object, how to play with it. It is easy to accustom a bird to a new toy – parrots are excellent imitators, so the owner only needs to demonstrate the sequence of actions once. But it is important not to scare away the bird. For each attempt to show interest in the subject, the pet should be encouraged with a treat.
Parrots are, in fact, small children, they are interested in playing around and they will be happy to play with the owner, for example, with a ping-pong ball.
Toys for medium, small and large parrots can be made from improvised means. But when choosing materials and manufacturing, it is worth remembering safety.
How to make a swing.
- It will be necessary to stock up on wire, a perch, beads or buttons.
- The length of the wire is calculated taking into account the mounting hole.
- After that, two holes for fasteners are made in the perch.
- Beads or buttons are put on the wire, and the ends of the wire are fixed in pre-prepared holes on the perch below.
- Then the wire with beads strung on it is given the shape of a circle and the structure is fixed in the cage. The swing is ready!
How to make a bungee with a bell.
- You need to stock up on a rope (five millimeters thick), beads, a metal bell, a perch.
- It is necessary to put on a bead on the rope, then make a knot, then put on the bead again.
- A perch is fixed below and the bell itself is attached.
- The rope is attached to the top of the cage. A musical toy for a feathered pet is ready!
How to make a spiral ladder.
- You need to take a plastic bottle (half a liter), sand (river or sea is suitable), rods – five millimeters thick – with pointed ends, a few nuts, a colored wrapper.
- To begin with, the sand is thoroughly washed and calcined in a pan.
- The bottle is pasted over with a bright packaging wrapper so that it arouses the interest of the parrot.
- At the bottom of the bottle there should be several nuts for the stability of the structure.
- Next, sand is poured in, and the bottle is tightly wrapped with a lid.
- Then several holes for twigs are cut in the bottle, they should not fall out and turn.
- You can make a rope ladder using a rope and some wooden perches. Parrots really like to climb ladders to the top and go down.
How to make a rattle:
- such a little thing can be made from improvised items, for example, from a plastic container where there used to be a toy from Kinder;
- several buttons or beads are placed there;
- feathered pets really like the sounds that rattles make, so with the help of such a simple toy you can keep a bird busy for a long time.
A toy for a feathered pet should be useful and interesting. Then the parrot will play with it with great pleasure!
How to make toys for a parrot with your own hands, see the next video.