Corella is an amazing bird of the cockatoo family, whose homeland is Australia. The feathered one has a good disposition, sedateness, an extraordinary attachment to people and longevity. Corellas do not tolerate fuss, they are playful, quick-witted. Therefore, the cockatoo cage must be appropriate. Before purchasing a product, you need to consider where it will stand, whether an additional light source is needed, whether the interior surrounding it will be safe, and much more.
To avoid any injuries, you need the largest possible cage. If the space is limited, the pet will become indifferent, he will have apathy. When a feathered depression begins, problems with the body are possible, and the bird may die. Therefore, you need to select a cage, knowing all the recommendations of a specialist. Corella has a wingspan of about 31 cm, so the width of the cage should be about 62 cm. The parrot loves to hang on the cage with its tail up, which means cage height should be 61 cm.
But it must also be normal length of the dwelling, so that the cockatiel can move freely inside the cage without touching the walls.
If the feathered one exists in cramped quarters, it will get damaged, obese and mentally ill.
Currently, there are various forms of cells: diamond-shaped, oval, square. Your pet needs to be comfortable. A cage that has a cylindrical shape will look beautiful. But such a cage has a minus – it has no corners, and because of this, the parrot may feel uncomfortable. If the parrot moves around the round cage, then it will slide down everywhere. The best, most successful and comfortable option is a rectangular cage. This option has an oblong shape, there are corners here, and the top cover is flat.
For Corella, comfortable conditions are an abundance of corners, an oblong shape, a flat top of the roof, which will serve as an additional playground.
There are no exact dimensions. But there are small cages that are designed for one parrot: length not less than 82 centimeters, width about 42 centimeters, height about 62 centimeters. Corella needs to be kept not only in a cage, but also allowed to walk around the room so that the freedom-loving bird enjoys free soaring. An important element of the cage is the width of the bars. The distance between the rods should be about 2 or 3 centimeters.
If the distance is large, and the parrot decides to get out, then his head will get stuck. If the rods have a distance of less than two centimeters, then the parrot will feel uncomfortable.
An important element is the wicker walls of the cage. If the weave is vertical, then the parrot will always slide.
An excellent option is the horizontal position of the rods. But the most useful option are lattice walls.
Corella has a powerful beak. And the bird is also incredibly curious, so it loves to nibble, everything that it comes across. For this reason, when choosing a cage for a parrot, you must first study the material from which it is made. The material must be safe and environmentally friendly for the life of the pet. The cage must be strong so that the parrot does not get out of it. Painted products or cages made of zinc and copper are strictly forbidden to buy. Small crumbs of zinc, paint, sour copper can cause poisoning in cockatiels.
A tree cannot be used as a cage, as its parts will be difficult to wash and clean. The tree can swell from water and lose its original appearance. And in the cracks that appear, dangerous pests will start. The best material is stainless steel. Its surface should be homogeneous, smooth without roughness. The cage itself should not have too sharp corners, internal metal reinforcements.
An excellent cage for a cockatiel will cost a lot. But if you have patience and any skills, then it is possible to make a cage for a parrot yourself.
To make a cage with your own hands, you will need some elements:
- jigsaw, electric saw or cutting machine;
- a sheet of paper for making a diagram;
- pen or pencil;
- piano furniture hinges made of stainless steel;
- a hammer;
- wire cutters;
- construction stapler;
You can only buy a plastic tray at the pet store.
Consider the manufacturing process.
- You need to start with cell drawings. On paper, you need to determine the dimensions of the elements of the cell – pallet, walls, roof. If you already have a pallet, then you do not need to do it. Using a jigsaw and an electric saw, you need to cut a rectangle out of plywood, three edge elements of the pallet (1 elongated and 2 shortened, having a width of 11 cm). You need to cut three strips to install the grid; planks should be the same length as the sides; height should be about 3 cm.
- The plank on the side has the smallest width compared to the other three. The small width will allow you to easily and quickly clean the cage. Using glue, you need to fasten the base of the pallet with three sides. On each inner side of the board, you need to glue a bar to install the grid.
- Now you need to cut out the racks that are on the sides. To do this, you need 8 boards, having a width of about 7 centimeters. Next, you need to glue the racks in pairs. Using wire cutters, it is necessary to cut 4 walls from the grid. Use a pencil to mark holes on the walls. Use a drill to drill holes.
- On both sides, you need to insert the mesh rods into the holes. Glue the side walls to the base of the pallet. Using a hammer and nails, nail 2 horizontal planks to the top of the long walls. The ends of the mesh should remain outside.
- Now you need to nail the 4th side of the pallet so that its top coincides with the other three sides. The bottom part should be 4 cm above the bottom (using this slot, debris can be removed from the cage).
- Using horizontal strips, side walls must be fixed from the outside of the pallet. You need to insert the 2 remaining parts of the grid (the short walls of the parrot’s dwelling). Using nails, side slats need to secure the mesh from the inside of the cage.
- Now you need to decorate the ceiling. It is necessary to bend the protruding edges of the mesh walls to the sides. Using a construction stapler, they need to be fixed to horizontal slats. The wall must be nailed to the side planks of the ceiling.
- Now you can make the top door. Using wire cutters, you need to cut a piece of mesh and attach its ends to two wooden planks with a stapler. A furniture loop must be attached to one plank. Using a screwdriver, you need to fix the second half of the hinge to the prepared opening on the ceiling of the cage in order to install the door.
- The second part of the ceiling must be closed with a grid. Using the door on the roof of the cage, a person can change the perches or other things that are inside.
- For a parrot, you need to install a door on the wall. The door can be made from a grid. On the wall of the cage, you need to cut a hole and insert the doors for the parrot there. This door is easier to fix if you make hinges from the bars of the net and bend them.
- You can make a pallet. You can take a sheet of fiberboard and fix a transverse bar on one side of it. This plank will be able to close the bottom slot, and the cockatiel will not be able to get out.
If everything is done well, the cage will be reliable. Feathered will feel the care of the owner.
How to arrange?
If the owner of the cockatiel cannot sit next to his pet all the time, then you need to think about arranging the parrot’s cage. Necessary items are a drinking bowl and a feeder. So that the water cannot dry out and become contaminated with debris, you need to purchase an automatic drinker made of plastic or organic glass. These containers help the liquid to keep its freshness. If you use open drinkers, then you need to change the liquid daily.
The liquid should be at room temperature, if the water is cold, then the parrot will have indigestion, and the warm liquid will not be able to quench its thirst. You can not use liquid from the tap, it is better to use purified water. Feeders are best purchased wide, deep and smooth. The feeder should be made of materials such as plastic, plastic, porcelain or ceramic. You do not need to purchase earthenware and wooden utensils, because they will not be cleansed.
It is necessary to purchase a bath so that the parrot can bathe. But you do not always need to keep the bath in the cage. For the most part, birds like to bathe when it’s hot. As soon as the cockatiel has finished water procedures, it is necessary to remove the bath so that the parrot does not drink from it. The cage must have perches and perches. They should be placed at different heights. Perches should be made of soft wood. You can equip the cage with soft ropes. The perches should have different thicknesses so that there is excellent gymnastics for the cockatiel’s paws.
The perches must be well reinforced so that the cockatiel does not injure its wings and tail when swinging. The perches are consumable, cockatiels can nibble on them, and this is beneficial for the bird’s digestion. Sometimes parrots will not have enough calcium, so chalk must always be present inside the cage, which must be purchased at a special store.
You can place various toys inside the cage, for example, a small mirror or a bell. But you don’t need to get too carried away, because the cockatiel needs space.
Where to install?
A house or apartment is not a natural habitat for cockatiels. And because of these conditions, various dangers can lie in wait for the bird. For this reason, it is necessary to select not only a good cell, but also correctly determine the area where its location will be.
You can not install a cage in distant rooms, that is, where people rarely go. The kitchen is always preparing meals and there is a lot of steam – this place is dangerous for cockatiels. Noisy rooms where electrical appliances are located are a bad place, as the cockatiel may be frightened. You can not install the cage where there is an effect of an electromagnet and radio waves (computers, routers, etc.).
Places where there are heating devices are also dangerous for cockatiels. The warm air will irritate the feathers of the parrot. Birds will be able to endure cold air, but if there are drafts, the cockatiel will get sick and may die. You can not put a cage on the window sills, because in these places it is very cold in winter and very hot in summer. And if you open the window, then there will be a draft, or extraneous noise can frighten the cockatiel. According to the psychological characteristics, the cockatiel should be on the same level with the face of a standing person. If the cockatiel is below the person, then the bird may feel depressed, and if it is higher, a feeling of dominance will appear.
Corella is a sociable bird, and she must observe the events taking place. The parrot cage does not need to be placed in the middle of the room. If both parts of the house are well pressed against the wall, then the parrot will feel safe, as he needs a protected corner.
Lighting must be balanced for the bird; it shouldn’t be too bright.
How to care for a cage?
Before populating the cockatiel in a cage, it is necessary to thoroughly disinfect the future feathered home. You can lightly scald equipment with boiling water. You need to clean the cage twice in 14 days. Bowls and drinkers are always dirty with droppings or leftover food. This can lead to mold and mildew. They can provoke complications in the health of the bird: infectious diseases may appear, or the parrot may be poisoned. Therefore, you should always ensure that all items inside the cage are clean. There must also be cleanliness around the parrot’s home. It is impossible for the parrot to smell extraneous odors, this may cause skin irritation.
To easily clean all items, you need to purchase a design that has one or two retractable plastic trays. These pallets must not be forgotten to be covered with clean paper. Thus, the cockatiel is a smart, cheerful bird, so it needs good care.
A cage is of great importance for a bird. The home of the parrot must meet the needs of the feathered one.
How to choose a cage and what should be inside, see the next video.