If you want to get a pet and add bright colors to your life and good mood, it’s time to think about parrots. A lory parrot can become a cheerful friend, but first you need to study the characteristics of the species and the rules for keeping these birds.
Feature and description
Its plumage strikes with its iridescent colors. The “clothes” of this amazing bird may contain blue, red, green, orange, yellow. Their bright color helps in their natural habitat to camouflage themselves among tropical flowers and plants. Its body length can be 20–40 cm. There is also such a variety as lorikeets, and they can be much smaller than their counterparts in size. In total, there are about seventy species of Loria.
The lory parrot has a long tail, which is almost half the length of the body. The bird’s beak is small and flattened on the sides. Some species of this family are distinguished by a brush at the end of the tongue, others by a papilla. These adaptations are necessary for parrots to eat, they help to facilitate the absorption of the liquid that parrots naturally get from the exotic fruits they eat. In addition, insects and their larvae, flower petals, and berries become their prey.
The most common species is the sharp-tailed loris. The back, abdomen and wings are green, the head is blue on top and purple on the back; the breast is red and blue, there are white and yellow spots on the wings. Popular species also include the rainbow lorikeet, brilliant loris, and red loris.
The name rainbow lorikeet speaks for itself. The color contains red, yellow, green and blue colors, there are black feathers. This species is often kept at home. Shiny lorises look interesting and cardinal lorises are especially distinguished from this species. Bright red plumage has unusually beautiful overflows.
red loris Plus, in addition to the main color (red), it also has blue and black shades. Any species of lory parrots is characterized by a weak beak, their food is mostly soft and juicy, but not hard.
These parrots are very noisy, so you need to be ready for this, they love to play, communicate, and attract attention. Able to imitate human speech and memorize up to 70 words if given time.
A distinctive feature of their behavior is slovenliness. Therefore, the owner must be prepared for the fact that care will take time, as with any other pet.
Before buying a chick, you need to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision. With the acquisition of a feathered friend, life in the house will change and you need to be prepared for that you will have to face certain difficulties, as it should be in the upbringing and maintenance of any pet.
- When buying a chick, you need to pay attention to its appearance. He should have healthy paws, without cracks, damage and any growths. The beak should be smooth, even, without the slightest sign of damage. Feathers should be clean and bright.
- It is worth paying attention to the eyes: they should be clean and clear, without any hint of cloudiness.
- A plump, well-fed chick is a good sign; its breast should be full.
- And, of course, the parrot must be clean. If he is even slightly soiled in litter, this indicates that he has health problems. Maybe he’s not being fed properly.
- The chick should be active, mobile, showing interest in everything that happens around. A calm and quiet parrot should alert, it is better to refuse such an acquisition.
- The optimal age of the chick for purchase is 1-1.5 months. These babies are easy to train from the very beginning.
If you regularly communicate and engage with them, they quickly begin to repeat the words after the owner.
Features of care
There are no such pets that could take care of themselves and not cause any trouble to the owner. And the parrot is no exception.
- The lory has one feature – its droppings are liquid, since it mainly feeds on the pulp of fruits. So you will have to clean the cage often, as well as clean up the space around it. So that the cage does not have to be cleaned too often, you can place sawdust on the bottom, which will absorb excess moisture and get rid of the unpleasant odor for a while. But this does not mean that the cage can not be cleaned – it just does not have to be done every day. You can put a paper cover on the bottom, but put a grate on top, otherwise the parrot will tear the sheet. This will also help in cleaning the cage and speed up this process.
- A parrot of this species is quite large, so he needs a large cage to be comfortable. In addition, it will need to be released periodically, because the bird needs to fly from time to time, even if it lives at home. It will be just an ideal solution if you manage to organize an aviary for him, where he can live and fly.
- Lori needs to be kept in a warm climate, so a comfortable temperature for him will be +25 degrees. He needs high humidity and the presence of water nearby. Therefore, he definitely needs a container of water where he will bathe.
- Do not place the cage near radiators and heaters, as well as on windows where cold air can come from. It is not recommended to place the cage where extraneous odors or loud sounds are often present.
- A feeder, a drinking bowl, a bathing container are necessarily placed in the cage, they are supplied with all kinds of perches and other devices such as a swing and a mirror so that the parrot is not bored. For a comfortable pastime inside the cage, you need to install a small house where the pet wants to hide at night.
- The cage should be chosen with a retractable tray – this will facilitate cleaning and allow you to do it as often as the need arises.
- A lory parrot will like fresh juicy fruits, such as grapes, oranges, apples, pears, bananas, you can give grated carrots. Since loris need to be fed liquid food, and he loves sweets, he happily absorbs porridge with sugar or honey, he will like baby fruit food. Dry food, consisting of cereals, is given rarely and in small quantities. You should always check that there is clean water in the drinker. The bird will also not refuse fruit juices.
- In order for the health of a parrot to be in order, you don’t need so much: take good care of it, feed it properly, regularly clean the cage and wash all the equipment that the parrot uses. Otherwise, there is a danger of catching some kind of disease. It is not difficult to determine that a bird is sick. It is worth being alert if the pet refuses to eat, is sad and behaves quietly; if he has cloudy eyes or feathers fall out, difficulty breathing or coughing. If there is at least one sign, you should contact your veterinarian, who will determine the disease and prescribe treatment. Self-treatment is dangerous in this case, since an exotic bird, with the wrong intervention, can simply die.
- If you want to have offspring, you can have a female and a male. They will have more fun as a couple. They breed well, but for this a cozy nest must be equipped in the cage.
It should be located at a height and have a depth of at least thirty centimeters; sawdust mixed with turf is usually placed on the bottom in order to protect the chicks from moisture.
Learning and communication
Such a pet eventually becomes almost a member of the family. With proper care and good nutrition, a parrot lives up to twenty years. The parrot loves to play and fly. He needs to be let out of the cage, but at the same time control his walk. Remove all objects that he can accidentally break or stain, as well as those that pose a threat to him – heating devices, sharp accessories.
In the family, he will definitely choose a pet for himself, whom he will obey and treat with love. A parrot can be taught to speak by repeating the same word several times during the week, giving it a certain amount of time. When the parrot learns to speak it clearly enough, you can move on to another. And so gradually complicate the task. In the end, it will be possible to move on to phrases. And then – to whole phrases.
Of course, a feathered friend feels when he is loved and treated well, so you should not forget to praise the bird, talk to him, comb his feathers, play, pamper your pet with treats.
Of course, both when caring for a parrot and when raising it, you need to be patient. Over time, cleaning the cage will become a habit, and activities with a parrot will bring joy. A bright, cute bird will delight with its presence for many years.
In the next video, you can take a look at the black-capped lory parrot.