In the middle of the 20th century, stately long-haired descendants descended from beautiful Abyssinians, who later became the founders of a new breed. The Somali cat is very popular on all continents, not only for its appearance, but also for its affectionate and playful nature.
Somali cat – description of the breed
The breed of the Somali cat got its name in honor of the country next to its native Ethiopia – Somalia. These are direct descendants of the Abyssinians, possessing all the standards of the mother breed, with the exception of the length of the coat:
- Animals of small size, the average weight of which is 3-5 kg.
- A graceful muscular physique, giving the impression of fragility with regal grace.
- The Somali cat breed has a small, wedge-shaped head with large, wide ears.
- Expressive almond-shaped eyes, as if summed up with a black pencil, have a green or golden color.
- The chest is developed in proportion, and the back is slightly arched.
- Long tail in the form of a full-fledged brush.
- The coat is long and soft to the touch. The so-called sideburns, collar and panties stand out.
Somali cat – colors
The coat of pets has an unusual ticked color, which means that each hair is colored in several shades with dark stripes crossing. Initially, only two colors were recognized in Somali, at the moment their number has increased to five:
- The wild color of the Somali cat is considered the most sought after. The main shade is red, and the ends of the hairs are painted black or brown.
- Sorel – similar to the wild color. The main shade is bright copper, darkened by dark red hair tips.
- Blue color combines smoky blue and cream shades.
- Faun is represented by the main creamy tone interspersed with a lighter milky shade.
- Silver has a basic shade similar to blue, differing only in a white undercoat.
How much does a Somali cat cost?
This breed is very popular with both breeders and ordinary owners. The description of the Somali cat, both in character and color, does not leave indifferent even the most demanding buyer. The cost of a kitten in a good cattery consists of its color, pedigree and possible show awards. The average price of a baby is about $160.
Somali cat – character
It is very interesting to observe what kind of Somali cat is in everyday life:
- The breed is distinguished by a lively mind and indefatigable curiosity. A pet can rarely be found sweetly dozing in his house. Most of the time, these cats spend playing and exploring the territory, so they need to be given space to run and climb.
- The Somali cat is easy to train, happy to follow the commands of the owner.
- Cats are moderately affectionate and gentle. They have inner tact and will never be pushy. Especially if the owner is not in a good mood.
- The breed is suitable for families with children who will become full partners of Somalis in games. However, even if the child crosses the line, the cat will not use its claws and teeth.
- Cats of this breed do not get along well with other pets, constantly competing for the attention of the owner.
Pets of the Somali breed need standard care:
- It is worth combing the coat at least once a week, increasing the number of procedures during molting.
- They bathe the cat about once a quarter.
- Hygiene of the claws and ears is carried out as needed, but daily brushing is important.
- Cat nutrition should be balanced, with sufficient content of animal protein and vitamins for coat health.
- As a preventive measure, it is necessary to regularly show the cat to the veterinarian and take general blood and urine tests.
The Somali cat has a beautiful appearance and a docile playful character. A pet can become a true friend for any owner and a partner in children’s games. By purchasing a healthy kitten from a trusted cattery, you can be sure that a smart comrade will settle in the house, who will never bother the owner, independently finding activities for entertainment.