In cat forums, discussions about whether to feed a pet “natural” or prepared food are as intense as disputes between meat eaters and vegetarians or political debates. However, more and more owners are leaning towards ready-made industrial feeds with a balanced composition, in which vitamins and microelements necessary for the animal are added.
Pet stores offer such a variety of foods that it is very difficult to make a choice without understanding the composition. Among the presented range there are complete balanced diets and frankly useless food. To help you choose from this variety, here is our cat food rating.
The best economy class cat food
Inexpensive, but arguably the best in class Purina food. It has a good composition, close to premium products. But in the first place in the list of ingredients are still cereals. Meat and its products are in second place, that is, there is a lot of animal protein (20%), but its origin and quality are unknown. Also contains vegetables, vegetable and animal fats, unspecified antioxidants and preservatives. You can’t call a good composition of food – they definitely should not be fed to British, Scottish and other thoroughbred cats with a sensitive digestive system. The meat base is most likely offal. But some users emphasize such advantages of the feed as low cost, a fairly high content of minerals and vitamins. But veterinarians recommend considering better quality feeds, and using economy-class brands in extreme cases and not for long-term feeding.
- Affordable price with a good composition
- Quite a lot of animal protein, about 20%
- High content of vitamins and minerals
- Popular food, lots of user reviews
- Cats willingly eat it, they feel good
- Not recommended as main food
- Not suitable for cats with sensitive digestion
- Contains unspecified antioxidants and preservatives
Under the Purina ONE brand, a wide range of food is sold – for kittens, adult and old, sterilized cats. There are balanced foods for pets with special needs. At first glance, the composition seems to be quite good. On the example of feed with salmon: in the first place is salmon – 15%, which is rare in feeds of this class. Also in the composition there is a dry protein of fish and poultry. Wheat fills the need for carbohydrates, vegetable proteins – corn, wheat gluten. Complementing the nutritional value of the feed are animal fats, fiber, vitamins, minerals, yeast and antioxidants. It’s bad that the origin of the flavor additive and antioxidants is not indicated. Of the advantages, veterinarians and pet owners indicate the content of meat ingredients in the feed, and not just offal, and a relatively low cost. Of the minuses, one can assume not the best quality of raw materials.
- High protein content – meat, fish
- Balanced composition for economy class feed
- Like cats, they eat it with great pleasure
- Good for hair condition
- Less pungent odor compared to other budget foods
- Not the best composition, a lot of cereals
- Poor packaging, doesn’t close well
The food is produced by the German company Mars, but is produced mostly in Russia. The manufacturer offers a wide range of feed. If we consider the composition of the food using the example of the In-home line for domestic cats, we can see that animal protein – poultry and salmon – is in the first place. But its exact origin is not indicated – it can be assumed that it is made from offal. Next come vegetable proteins from cereals. Also in the composition there is a dried liver containing vitamins of group B. Dry beets are indicated as a source of fiber. What preservative is used is not written, which is not very good. As advantages, users in the reviews call low cost, the presence of a large amount of animal proteins, and availability in stores. Veterinarians are not happy with the composition, so the food is acceptable, but undesirable for the constant feeding of breeds with a weak digestive system.
- High content of animal proteins
- Affordable price, sold in grocery stores
- Good taste and smell, pets eat with pleasure
- Contains fiber, vitamins
- Causes no health problems
- There are negative reviews from veterinarians
- Not recommended for continuous feeding
The Best Premium Cat Foods
Hill’s Science Plan
Hill’s Science Plan
One of the most popular, actively advertised premium feeds. It is not cheap, but it captivates cat owners with good reviews and the widest range of diets. In fact, you can’t call him either bad or good. The composition is based on 40% poultry flour, the protein content here is not bad, but it is clear that not only meat, but also offal could be used in production. Next come corn and rice. The first component is even useful in a small amount, but here it acts as the main source of carbohydrates, in fact, being a cheap filler. The deficiency is compensated by a well-balanced content of vitamins, minerals, natural preservatives and antioxidants.
- Balanced composition, lots of protein, vitamins and minerals
- Sold at any pet store, wide range
- Lots of positive feedback from cat owners
- Pleasant smell, optimal granule size
- Sometimes recommended even by veterinarians
- High price for premium food
- There are inaccuracies in the composition, a lot of corn
The domestic manufacturer offers a fairly wide selection of feed. For example, for breeds with a problematic digestive system. The main component is a good source of protein – 30% dehydrated poultry meat (mainly chicken). Other sources of protein are egg powder and animal proteins. To fill the need for carbohydrates, valuable cereals are used – rice and barley. The composition also includes chicken fat, beet pulp, sunflower oil, vitamin supplements and natural antioxidants.
The food is of good quality and balanced. Reviews about him are mostly positive, cat owners did not notice a deterioration in well-being, condition of wool, gums with constant feeding. Of the positive aspects, one can single out the content of real meat, and not just offal, a sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals. At the same time, it is quite inexpensive even compared to other premium brands.
- Affordable price comparable to economy class
- Good composition, high protein content
- Lots of good reviews from cat owners
- The aroma attracts cats, eat well
- Not sold in all stores
- The origin of the flavor additives is not specified.
A popular brand that even veterinarians leave good reviews about. The choice is large – there are dietary foods for sterilized cats prone to allergies. The owners write that their pets eat this food willingly. For a premium grade, it contains a good amount of protein. For example, chicken feed contains 40% poultry – 20% chicken flour and dried chicken. There are almost no vegetable proteins, but this is not a minus. The need for carbohydrates is replenished by rice. Also in the composition you can see chicken and fish oil, brewer’s yeast, chicken liver, dried beet pulp.
According to veterinarians, this is the best premium food, as it contains the highest percentage of meat components, a lot of vitamins and minerals. Vitamin E derivatives are used as a preservative. At the same time, compared to many other feeds of the same category, the price is significantly lower. With all that said, the food can be safely recommended for feeding even capricious thoroughbred cats.
- A wide range of feeds – basic, dietary, special needs
- Pretty high protein, no wheat
- Cats like it, pleasant meaty smell
- Balanced composition, suitable even for purebred cats
- There are positive reviews from veterinarians
- Not all proteins come from meat, there are offal
The best super-premium food
The manufacturer offers dry food for pregnant, sterilized cats, kittens, as well as universal options. The composition is good – dehydrated meat, hydrolyzed protein, chicken liver and eggs, that is, the protein content is high. In addition to rice, corn is used as a source of carbohydrates, which is considered not the best option. Fiber – dried apples, beets, corn stigmas. It also contains chicken and fish oil. Veterinarians note a good set of additional supplements – probiotics, Yucca Schidegera to reduce the smell of excrement, seaweed, vitamin E. Breeders and just cat owners note that when switching to a permanent supply of Blitz feed, the condition of pets improves markedly – the hair stops falling out, activity increases, there are problems with digestion.
- Good sources of animal protein
- An excellent combination of useful supplements and vitamins
- Natural preservatives and antioxidants are used
- Affordable price compared to other super premium foods
- A lot of good reviews, including from veterinarians
- Not the most common, not sold in all pet stores
- The composition contains corn – a cheap filler
Super premium quality food that meets AAFCO standards. This means that real meat ingredients are included in the composition. For example, chicken meal can only be made from meat, skin and bones – no by-products are used. Sources of carbohydrates are very healthy – brown rice, peas, oatmeal. Added chicken and salmon fat. The preservatives used are natural. To enrich the feed, minerals, vitamins, as well as Yucca Schidegera have been added to reduce the smell of excrement. Veterinarians speak quite well about this dry food. It is balanced, enriched with useful substances, while it is cheaper than many analogues. Cat owners are also happy with this food. According to them, with constant feeding, their pets look good, are active, and there are no problems with stools.
- Cats like it, good for their health
- Quality sources of animal protein
- Healthy carbs – brown rice, oatmeal, potatoes
- Good reviews from veterinarians and cat owners
- Balanced composition, many useful additives
- Not sold in all pet stores
- The line has a limited number of diets
Another little-known Spanish brand offers really high-quality feed, perfectly balanced in composition. If we look at the example of one of the main diets for adult cats, you can see that the source of protein here is dehydrated duck meat. Rice and dried vegetables are indicated as a source of carbohydrates and vitamins. Vegetable protein is also present in the composition, but it is obtained from peas – not the worst source. In general, the food contains all the substances necessary for cats, there is nothing harmful, so it can be safely recommended as the main diet. But some owners noticed an undesirable reaction – loose stools.
- Quality sources of protein, their high content
- No wheat and corn, good sources of carbohydrates
- Good combination of quality and affordable price
- Natural composition, many useful additives
- Not available everywhere, uncommon brand
- Some cats are reluctant to eat at first
- Sometimes owners notice softening or thinning of the stool.