When a person chooses a dog for himself, he rarely thinks about what difficulties he may face if a dog with fragile health and frequent diseases is chosen. A pet illness is accompanied by household anxiety, and veterinary services and drugs are expensive today. Therefore, there is nothing strange if a person chooses a puppy for himself from the standpoint of assessing his potential health.
Which dogs are in good health?
The health of a pet largely depends on its breed, but its belonging to a particular breed is by no means the only criterion that allows you to predict how strong and hardy a dog will be, how long it will live, and what the quality of life will be in the end. Dog care, proper nutrition, adequate physical activity – these are the three principles on which dog health is based. Therefore, you should not “write off” everything only on the breed. As for certain breeds, the healthiest dogs are animals in whose evolution humans have not interfered at all, or have done so infrequently, little and delicately. Bred “artificial” dogs get sick more often than others, which is quite normal. The state of health of a dog determines its heredity (in your case, also the decency of the breeder). If there was no related mixing of blood in the family (sometimes this is how puppies are obtained for the sole purpose of enriching themselves), if both the male and the mother of the puppies are perfectly healthy, then the likelihood that you will get a puppy with strong immunity and reliable health is always higher.
Small but strong – rating of animals for the house
Small dogs, representatives of small breeds can also have excellent health, despite the fact that many of them appeared due to human selection.
- One of the longest lived bichon frise. This is a small, very lively, active and charming dog. It is unpretentious and can live up to 22–24 years. The coat of the dog requires careful care, as it is very thick.
And also with a representative of this breed it is important to walk a lot.
- Another “pocket” long-liver – shih tzu. This dog is very cute, very sociable, contact. His only “weak point” is the skin. With inadequate care, it can become inflamed, peel off, problems with the condition of the coat may appear.
In general, the dog is picky, rarely gets sick, lives for about 15 years.
- Renowned for good health mini schnauzers. This is a great option for a small apartment, because such a dog does not require a lot of space. He gets sick infrequently, lives for about 15 years. And if you meet such a dog in a veterinary clinic, then with a high probability it can be argued that the owners themselves ruined its health. Representatives of the breed are very fond of food.
If you indulge this tendency of theirs and overfeed the animal, chronic pancreatitis may develop.
- Maltese (Maltese) many consider it to be something artificial, bred to decorate the interiors of pampered beauties. No, this dog is a very ancient breed that has long been used to hunt one of the most dangerous creatures on the planet – rats. Therefore, the little white Maltese is a representative of the canine family with excellent health and strong immunity. Of the minuses – character. He is rather nasty, capricious in lapdogs; Maltese do not like the company of children.
- yorkshire terriers is another great option. They are healthy, hardy, adequate, do not suffer from allergies, rarely get sick, but at the same time they are quite curious. They can get hurt because they often climb out of sheer curiosity into places they shouldn’t.
- Chihuahua – These are quite strong dogs, although they give the impression of greenhouse plants. For them, it is only important not to overcool. If the owner will dress the dog warmly in the cold season, then there will be no other health problems for the pet.
Choosing Medium Animals
Consider the brightest representatives of medium breeds of dogs.
- The healthiest among medium-sized dogs are poodles. They are active, inquisitive, very fond of children, quite smart. And with all this, they practically do not create reasons for visits to the veterinarian. The only vulnerability of this breed is a weak pancreas.
If the poodle, due to an oversight of the owner, overeats fat, indigestion may occur, and with constant malnutrition, pancreatitis.
- In second place in terms of health among dogs of medium breeds are dachshunds. These stunning pets, with adequate care, rarely see a veterinarian, except for routine vaccinations. And they don’t have health problems. The weak points are the elongated spine and the endocrine system. In the first case, injuries are possible, and in the second – obesity, because the dachshund will never refuse to eat, even if the piece is clearly superfluous.
- blue healer – a breed that, until old age (and such dogs live for more than 16 years) will delight the owner with activity and mobility. Weaknesses – the hip joint and the retina of the organs of vision.
In old age, dogs often begin to see worse, and pelvic dysplasia may develop.
- One of the healthiest representatives of medium breeds is beagle. These dogs live for more than 15 years, they do not have any significant health problems. The only thing that can shake their condition is obesity if the owner overfeeds the pet.
If you don’t allow too much beagle, then you can save a lot on veterinary services.
Large animals in good health
Among large size dogs, there are a lot of those who have excellent characteristics in terms of immunity strength.
- The undisputed leader is Turkmen wolfhounds (Alabai). These dogs perfectly tolerate heat and frost, can eat both natural and dry food, while they do not suffer from allergies, intestinal problems, and obesity.
- In second place – caucasian shepherd dogs. They also do not require anything specific, they practically do not get sick. But both Alabai and Caucasians require adequate training, otherwise mental health problems may arise.
- On the third place – blue-eyed husky. These beauties come from northern latitudes. Sled dogs are able to tolerate extremely low temperatures, they are hardy and do not require gastronomic delights. Therefore, nature itself helped them to become stronger and healthier. The only problem that owners of such dogs may face is behavioral problems.
If the dog does not have long walks and normal physical activity, then it will smash the apartment, house, gnaw at everything that comes within reach.
- Persian Greyhound (Saluki) she just looks thin and miserable. In fact, it is difficult to find a stronger and more enduring creature that is capable of developing tremendous speeds while running. If you can provide the dog with a lot of activity, jogging, hunting, then there will be no health problems.
If not, then there may be problems with the joints.
Opinion of veterinarians
Canine health professionals (veterinarians) do not take into account the origin of the dog, but the frequency of visits to clinics. And, of course, there are certain statistics that show which breeds are more likely to come to the reception with problems, which less often. Experts tend to believe that all terriers have excellent health. Whichever representative of this dog family you choose, you will not lose – the pet will be healthy.
When choosing a puppy, be sure to evaluate the appearance of the father and mother of your future pet, inspect the tongue, teeth, coat condition. In a healthy puppy, the coat is shiny, it is soft, the mucous membranes are moist, the teeth are white, of a uniform color. The health of the puppy is also indicated by his behavior. Experts advise to watch the puppy – active and mobile dogs are usually healthier than drowsy and lethargic ones. Finally, do not hesitate to ask the breeder for veterinary documents for the puppy and its parents.
You can learn how to choose the best puppy in the litter by watching the video below.