Seeing mini-pigs, it’s hard not to fall under their charm, so many are eager to have such animals. However, before buying, it is recommended to read information about such animals: a detailed description of the breed and appearance, as well as the rules related to keeping.
How were mini-pigs bred?
Decorative piglets owe their appearance to the Vietnamese breed of pigs. Breeders liked them for their playful and gentle nature, as well as their charming appearance. The first pygmy pigs were bred in Germany. Since the middle of the 19th century, scientists from different countries have jointly obtained a new breed – dwarf mini-pigs, the main highlight of which is size. The weight of adult animals on average ranges from 30 to 50 kg, in addition to this, they have good immunity.
Mini pig breeds
In the modern world, there are several dozen breeds that differ in exterior and weight. The following mini-pigs are considered the most popular:
- vietnamese bellied. Ancestor of the first pygmy pigs. Average weight 100-140 kg.
- Göttingen mini pig. The breed was bred in Germany, outwardly similar to the Vietnamese. Weight 70-90 kg.
- Wiesenau. A small domestic pig mini-pig without wrinkles on the muzzle. Weight up to 30 kg.
- Bergstresser knirt (another name is karapuziki). Popular breed in Europe. Weight up to 15 kg. Its cost is very high.
- mini maialino. The smallest breed in the world, included in the Guinness Book of Records. The weight is 12 kg. The breed was bred in Italy.
How much do mini pigs cost?
Having decided to get yourself such a pet, it is important to understand what the average cost of a mini-pig is. Depending on the breeder, it can range from $ 300 to 2 thousand. You need to focus not only on the price, but also understand where it is better to buy a thoroughbred animal. In the poultry market, professionals do not recommend making such purchases, because in the future the mini-pig can turn into an ordinary pig. It is recommended to choose catteries with a good reputation.
Mini pig – pros and cons
Decorative pigs, like other animals, are endowed with positive and negative qualities. Many who want to purchase such a pet are interested in how large mini-pigs grow. It all depends on the breed, so the largest animals grow up to 120 kg, and the small ones weigh about 10 kg. In addition to weight, this type of pig has other advantages:
- the minimum amount of wool;
- ease of care;
- easy character;
- energy and playfulness;
- the possibility of training;
However, in addition to the positive aspects, the pygmy pig also has some disadvantages:
- males are sexually active even to surrounding objects;
- manifestation of an allergy is possible;
- weight gain from overeating;
- loves to chew on everything;
- aggression without training is possible;
- a large amount of noise;
- high price.
Mini pigs – care and maintenance
Small pigs can live in a house or apartment; for convenience, they need to be provided with proper care. It consists of certain nuances that you need to know before you get such an animal. Decorative pigs mini-pigs need to comply with the following rules:
- Daily walks to release excess energy.
- The pet must have its own place.
- Immediately after the animal enters the room, it is accustomed to the tray.
- Bathing several times a week.
- Once every few months you need to grind the hooves.
- It is important to clean your ears once every three weeks.
Mini pig – character
Studying the behavior of small pigs is a fascinating activity. The main character trait is a strong curiosity. A mini-pig pig, being in the house, will definitely be aware of everything. Such animals easily open doors and move objects.
- When walking on the street, they are obedient and extremely attached to the owners. Walking a pig on a leash or without it is the decision of the owner.
- Animals have a good memory and will easily find their way home.
- When a pig is in a good mood or has a joyful moment, she can squeal with happiness. During interesting games, it can grunt funny.
- Mini-pigs are peaceful, it is important for them to be in society and be sure to be in the spotlight.
Mini pig bites – what to do?
Pigs are very smart, unfortunately, in addition to this, they can also be aggressive, especially in the absence of education. Aggression can also manifest itself in the habit of biting. Although this does not mean at all that the pet is angry, in this way he is trying to show his leadership in the family. Mini-pig at home shows aggression as follows:
- lowers his head and looks from under his brows;
- bares his teeth and gasps for air;
- lunges and steps back;
- shakes his head to the side.
Some are afraid of such aggression, and they are trying to find new owners for their pet. Although proper training after a few weeks will significantly change the situation, the main thing is not to give up. To combat bites, you can try the following techniques:
- Keeping the mouth closed, stroke the pig.
- At the moment of aggression, you need to close the mouth of the animal and hold it like that for several seconds. After saying a firm “no”, and letting go of the mini-pig.
- Each time, tighten the action, increasing the time to capture the mouth by a second. The main thing is not to push the animal away after punishment and continue to communicate with it as before.
- If these actions do not help, although the hold time has increased to 15 seconds, try adding punishment and raising the front hooves of the pig so that they do not touch the ground.
Mini pig training
To raise a pet, regular training is needed, and it is important to do this immediately after he has settled in a new place. Mini-pigs are easy to train, but for motivation, you need to stock up on “goodies”. Professionals have developed some recommendations, following which you can achieve the desired result:
- Any luck should be accompanied by encouragement.
- Failure should not lead to raising your voice.
- All commands are voiced in an even and calm tone.
- The sooner classes begin, the faster the mini-pig will achieve results.
- Training should be systematic, but short in time.
- You need to move from simple to complex.
What to feed a mini pig?
Little pigs grow up to two years, and then throughout their lives weight gain begins. Beginner breeders are interested in what mini-pigs eat and what they are forbidden to avoid obesity.
An approximate diet of an animal should look like this:
- Hearty breakfast. It is better to choose steamed porridge on water with the addition of milk or yogurt.
- Dinner. The recommended food for this reception is fresh and boiled vegetables and fruits. In addition, you can lean meat and fish without bones.
- Light dinner. In the evening, you should limit yourself to fermented milk products with germinated cereals.
On average, a cup of feed should fall on 10-15 kg of animal weight. The mini pig will be healthy and develop well if fed the following food:
- Fruit. Every day it is worth including apples in the diet, and you can also bananas, pears, peaches. Sometimes you can give melon and berries.
- Vegetables. The main products for the mini pig menu are pumpkin, cucumbers, tomatoes and zucchini. In addition, you can give beets, carrots and turnips. Greens, broccoli and cauliflower are also allowed.
- cereals. For good growth, buckwheat, barley and pearl barley are useful. Boiled peas and beans are allowed. To prepare porridge, you just need to pour boiling water over the cereal and insist for a while.
- Dairy products. Kefir and yogurt should be free of additives and low in fat.
- Meat and poultry. The amount of protein needed by a piglet is approximately 10% of the total diet. Meat and poultry must be boiled.
- Vitamins and minerals. In order for the animal to receive useful substances, it is recommended to include fish oil, sprouted cereals and black bread in the diet.
How to potty train a mini pig?
In order to keep a normal smell in the room, the first thing the owner needs to do is to accustom the animal to the tray. Pine shavings or old newspapers are poured into the bottom of the container. Do not use cat litter because the mini-pig can taste it and get poisoned. The place for the tray is chosen once and for all. This should be a secluded area so that the animal can be left alone and not be frightened by someone approaching at the most crucial moment. Limit the movement of the mumps to 6 months, because until this age she still has poor control over her body and may not be able to restrain herself in the wrong place. Toilet training includes the following activities:
- The selected space should be small so that the animal gets used to the place.
- It is not necessary to reward the animal, because this is its natural behavior.
- At first, bring the pig to the tray every two hours so that she does not forget about his location.
Cage for mini pig
Such a dwelling is not suitable for these animals. They do not like when their freedom is limited. At the same time, the mini-pig pig needs the proper organization of personal shelter. It can be a wooden house or a soft foam rug. In addition, be prepared that the pet will want to communicate and will ask for a sofa or bed. It is important to minimize injury due to falls by covering the floor with carpet or other soft material.
Diseases of mini pigs
Decorative pigs are warm-blooded animals that are prone to various diseases, and the common cold is in the first place. To avoid this, feed the pet only warm foods and do not give cold water. In addition, to maintain immunity, small and adult mini-pigs need regular vaccination against the following diseases:
- and other infections.
How long do mini pigs live?
Decorative pigs are kept in premises where the owners control their health and what they eat. Creating favorable conditions for life, the right diet and regular check-ups at the veterinarian will allow the mini-pig to live a long life. On average, this figure can reach 15 years, sometimes there are even centenarians who have celebrated their 20th birthday.
Nicknames for mini pigs
One of the first questions to decide is what name to choose for the pig. This is important for interacting with animals. There are many options for how to name such a pet. When choosing a nickname for a home mini-pig, you need to consider the following nuances:
- The baby can grow up to a weight of 40 kg.
- The nature and disposition of the mini-pig.
We offer you to get acquainted with some popular options for nicknames:
- For babies who will not grow much: Bead, Millie, Kikki, Babe, Piggy.
- For well-fed mini-pigs: Glafira, Lola, Dusya, Zephyr, Cupcake, Pie.
- Serious options: Isabella, Dusya, Isolde, Abelard, Hamlet, Socrates.
- Funny names: Zhileyka, Carrot, Paraska, Breather, Hryun, Lace.
Mini pig – interesting facts
Decorative pigs are popular as pets in many countries. Today, the following interesting facts about mini-pigs are known:
- Pigs can imitate the voices of other animals.
- Mini pigs do not sweat or shed.
- In terms of intelligence, these animals are only ahead of primates and dolphins.
- In Europe, this is one of the five most popular pets.
- These animals have a high pain threshold.
- There is no allergy to the bristles of mini-pigs.
- In England it is forbidden to walk these animals without a proper license.
- In some countries, they are used by the police and military to search for weapons and drugs along with dogs.
- The intelligence of mini-pigs is higher than that of a 5-year-old child.