Japanese dog breeds belong to the smallest group. These pets are mostly smart, quick-witted and friendly. All representatives of Japanese breeds have certain similarities and common features. If you look at them a little more closely, you can see a large number of differences. This applies not only to the nature of animals, but also to the characteristics of their content.
All four-legged “Japanese” have many similarities that unite them. Let’s take a look at their list.
- Most of the existing Japanese breeds have soft, triangular ears.
- These dogs often have intelligent eyes that are close to each other.
- Purebred “Japanese” have a clean and beautiful coat.
- Most thoroughbred pets have a charming muzzle, which is distinguished by a wedge-shaped structure.
- Japanese breeds have fluffy tails wrapped in rings (directed towards the back of the animal).
- The lion’s share of purebred “Japanese” are distinguished by a very nice and attractive appearance. They do not look aggressive and vicious, which attracts the enthusiastic looks of many people.
- All Japanese dogs are characterized by incredible devotion and loyalty to their owners. That is why the inhabitants of the Land of the Rising Sun call their pets samurai dogs.
The number of Japanese breeds of dogs includes pets that differ in character, external characteristics, and size. The color of the coat of different pets can also vary. Let’s take a closer look at some of the most popular and well-known Japanese breeds.
The most famous large Japanese dog is the beauty akita inu. This breed was bred over 2000 years ago. Its representatives in weight can reach 45 kg, and height at the withers – 71 cm. From the very beginning, Akita was a very good guard of the imperial family and the Japanese nobility in general. These dogs are insanely devoted to their families.
The appearance of the Akita, like most other Japanese breeds, is peculiar. It is characterized by a large head, triangular eyes (they are very small). The body of a purebred Akita is always strong and dense. These animals are distinguished by sufficient strength and power, which turns out to be the main argument in their conflicts with other animals.
Akita Inu is a wonderful four-legged friend for humans. She will be faithful to her master throughout her life.
Akita Inu simply cannot bark for a long time, but it is capable of making unusual snorting or grunting sounds. At times, it seems to people that thoroughbred Japanese pets at these moments are mumbling something under their breath, as if talking to themselves. This is one of the interesting features of these animals.
Akita Inu loves to lick his own body. In this case dogs very similar to representatives of the cat family. In hunting, the Akita is used to behaving like a tiger. She is very quiet, without unnecessary sounds, like a cat, she tracks down and pursues the victim, and then at the right moment she rushes at her.
Consider the main characteristic features of these charming and loyal animals.
- Akita Inu reacts very badly to an evil and aggressive attitude towards himself. It is necessary to raise such a pet patiently and calmly, without resorting to physical punishment and screaming.
- Mutual understanding with the owner must be complete.
- Akita will always stand up for his beloved owner and family members. This is a great defender you can rely on.
- In general, the Akita Inu is unpretentious in care. You don’t have to spend huge sums on this.
- Like most representatives of other breeds, this dog needs the earliest possible socialization.
- This pet requires exceptionally proper and balanced nutrition.
- Akita Inu needs daily impressive physical activity.
Representatives of this breed should be given a lot of attention. Without special care, such a pet can cause a lot of problems. Akita Inu should live under the same roof with the owner. This dog usually treats other animals calmly and adequately.
Another large view american akita. These are large animals with a strong and strong body. Their character is just as serious and strong. They are incredibly devoted to their owner. In order for such a dog to treat a person with respect, it must be brought up correctly and in a timely manner. The person himself must also monitor his behavior and treat the animal appropriately. The use of force in training and education is unacceptable here.
Pets of this breed should be educated and trained from an early age. Otherwise, such an Akita will grow up uncontrollable and completely naughty, and after all, no one wants to deal with an uncontrollable 50-kilogram big man. It is advisable to discard boring and monotonous workouts immediately. Often the owners of these pets turn to professional trainers.
The American Akita gets along well with younger family members. True, too noisy children are often perceived incorrectly by such a dog. In such a situation, the animal may try to restore order. Leaving an Akita alone with children is not recommended – parents should always keep the situation under control.
The American Akita has a very heavy skeleton. For this reason, small puppies are not recommended to be subjected to too severe physical exertion. Before you start training with a dog, you need to wait until its joints, ligaments and muscles become strong.
Consider the main features of the representatives of this breed.
- Although the coat of these dogs is solid and thick, they do not need frequent combing.
- During periods of molting, you will have to resort to regular grooming.
- The American Akita should be taken out for walks more often, as it will be very boring and dreary for her within four walls.
- With other relatives, such an Akita gets along extremely rarely. If she was in the same company with her own kind, she would behave like a leader.
- Representatives of this breed need competent socialization from puppyhood.
Tosa Inu or Japanese Mastiff is another large Japanese dog. Initially, this breed was bred to participate in battles. Japanese mastiffs are exceptionally resilient, strong and can quickly attack at the right moment. These dogs make excellent watchdogs. Tosa Inu are aggressive by nature, so their upbringing requires a lot of attention.
This breed is small. Not every person agrees to have a Japanese mastiff, because this is not a mini pocket dog. The weight of an adult can reach up to 70 kg. There are also larger, powerful animals that weigh 100 kg or more.
Tosa Inu can demonstrate their fighting qualities in relation to strangers. To avoid such consequences, the pet needs to be properly educated and trained in all the necessary commands. If everything is done correctly, a thoroughbred puppy will make a wonderful companion and faithful companion.
The Japanese Mastiff is not the best option for people who have never encountered representatives of fighting breeds. Such a pet is not suitable for a family with children.
Consider the main features of these animals:
- they are characterized by a large, strong and massive head and the same muzzle;
- the ears of dogs are hanging, large and fall on the cheekbones;
- the look of the Japanese mastiff is serious and very smart;
- the physique is strong, powerful, proportional, the muscles are well developed and clearly visible;
- the skeleton is strong and large, a wide loin and chest are characteristic;
- the back is flat and taut;
- legs are straight;
- the woolen cut is short and dense.
In the list of Japanese dog breeds, there are not only large and massive, but also medium-sized individuals. Many of them can be kept in an ordinary city apartment.
So, the average ones are charming kai-ken. Males of this breed weigh up to 21 kg, and females – up to 18 kg. The growth of the first is 46-59 cm, the second is 46-55 cm.
These pets are distinguished by a very balanced, calm and friendly character. On average, representatives of this Japanese breed live 12-15 years.
Kai are active and energetic dogs. They do not show excessive aggression, but they need attention from a person. These animals suffer if they do not spend the accumulated energy. As a result, this results in bad behavior of pets.
The color of the kai-ken is not a simple yellow or red. Representatives of this breed have a spotted coat (brindle tricolor, in which there are red, brown or black stripes).
Kai has hunting roots, but modern representatives of the breed do not show even slight aggression in behavior. Such pets will need minimal care, since they have a thick, but very short coat. For a long time, kai do not lose their visual appeal and look neat.
Dogs are also medium in size. Hokkaido breeds. They were originally bred for hunting. The second name of pets is Ainu. For a long time, these dogs have been bred to be strong, resilient, courageous, sensitive and ferocious. For his family, the Ainu is a good protector and bodyguard, affectionate, playful and sociable. This dog will treat strangers with great wariness or aggression.
The appearance of Hokkaido is very attractive and original. They seamlessly adapt to life even in mountainous areas. It was under such conditions that their main characteristic qualities were developed.
Hokkaido is a primitive breed. Its primitiveness lies in the fact that the formation of the species was carried out under conditions of natural selection. Consider the main features of representatives of this interesting breed:
- Hokkaido have a large skull of great width, the forehead is flattened;
- the structure of the muzzle is wedge-shaped;
- the jaws are very powerful, the bite is scissor-shaped;
- the eyes of the representatives of this breed are large, the shade of the iris is often dark brown;
- the neck is strong, strong, with well-developed muscles;
- the language of the Ainu has characteristic spots;
- pronounced withers;
- the stomach is tucked up, it never hangs;
- the back is well developed, the posture is always correct;
- the limbs of the Ainu are powerful, especially the hind limbs;
- paw pads and claws are black.
Ainu can be both very affectionate and gentle, and ferocious. Their main distinguishing feature is selflessness, courage. They can easily navigate in any conditions. Ainu are self-confident animals. Act decisively and boldly.
This pet it is recommended to start only strong people, leaders in character. The nature of Hokkaido is not the easiest. Most often, these pets are kept in an aviary. As needed, they need to be combed using a special brush. Long walks should not be neglected.
Shikoku are representatives of one of the oldest breeds in Japan. Their homeland is the island of Shikoku. Adult dogs at the withers can reach 52 cm.
The coat of the Shikoku is short, there is a dense, solid undercoat. Thanks to this feature, this dog does not need frequent and regular combing. Grooming is simple and inexpensive. These pets have a sickle-shaped tail, as well as a strong body with well-developed muscles.
Shikoku has an active temperament. They are of medium size, so they can live in apartment conditions, but they will need to provide constant physical activity. Even if such a pet is in a closed environment, he needs to pay a lot of attention.
Every day with such a dog to walk alot. From birth, representatives of this Japanese breed have a well-developed hunter instinct. With very great attention and slight caution, the owner should approach the upbringing and training of such a dog.
The best place to live a purebred energetic Shikoku will be a cozy and spacious house outside the city. Here the dog will be able to play enough, to run. Shikoku have an independent nature. If such animals are brought up according to all the rules, they can easily get along in the same territory with their relatives and other animals.
The service category includes dogs of the Japanese breed. sanshu. They also make excellent companions and even guards. The color of their coat can be pure white, fawn, red, gray or piebald. The growth of males at the withers reaches only 46 cm, and females – 40 cm. The average life expectancy of these animals is 15-17 years.
Sanshu are very strong and hardy. They are distinguished by their beautiful appearance, good disposition. These pets can easily live in a city apartment. They are relatively easy to train and train, but it is important to be tactful and patient. The learning process should be consistent and gentle.
The sanshu’s coat is thick, so these dogs are allowed to be kept not only in an apartment, but also in a country house. It is required to engage in combing this animal weekly. This procedure is especially important during molting.
Representatives of small Japanese dog breeds are very popular today. These animals are distinguished by their attractive appearance and compact size, so they are often started by people whose living conditions do not allow keeping larger or medium-sized pets.
Four-legged beauties have a special charm Chin breed. Their weight rarely exceeds 3.5 kg, and their height is 26 cm. These pets are recognized as the best companions for humans. They differ in that they have a large number of habits inherent in cats.
Chin can live without problems in almost any room. It may even be a small closet. On the street, representatives of this Japanese breed will not be able to survive, so enclosures for them should not be equipped.
Lovely chins have small ears, a beautiful fluffy tail and a thick coat. Many people think that such a furry-headed dog sheds a lot, but in fact, if the chin is brushed regularly, there will be no problems with molting.
Training these little dogs is easy and simple. They are very happy to carry out the commands of the hosts. If the training turns out to be too boring and monotonous, the animal may refuse to complete the tasks. You have to be prepared for what Chin needs a lot of attention from the owners.
Very popular today dear Japanese Spitz. They are recognized as excellent companions for humans. Sometimes these dogs can be found in circus arenas. They have a characteristic pointed muzzle, like a small fox. The forehead is rounded, and the ears are erect, having a triangular shape. These pets differ in tail with chic pubescence. He lies on their back. According to the standard, only snow-white coat color is allowed.
The nature of these dogs is very cheerful and lively. They are strongly attached to their owners, demonstrating devotion throughout their lives. The purebred Japanese Spitz treats other people with distrust and caution, often breaking into barking. For this reason such pets are allowed to be kept as watchmen.
Raising a Japanese Spitz should be persistent. Pay attention to the fact that the cowardice of the animal is considered a serious disadvantage. Such pets are immediately excluded from further breeding.
Representatives of the breed also differ in miniature sizes. Shiba Inu (Shiba Inu). Initially, this breed was bred for hunting small forest game. At the withers, their height reaches only 35-43 cm, if it is a male, females are even smaller – 33-41 cm.
The faces of these plush pets are very cute. From the side it seems that this is a smiling dog. In fact, the character of the Shiba Inu is fighting. These are independent, strong animals that need proper education and training. A well-bred and socialized pet will be infinitely loyal to its owner. The trademark of these dwarf dogs is feline cleanliness.
Recognized as an excellent hunter purebred Japanese terrier. This animal can hunt not only on land, but also on water. Currently, most people keep these pets solely as small and productive hunters. This breed is rare as the population is quite low. Breeding Japanese terriers began in the 20s of the last century. Purebred individuals boast an unsurpassed sensitive scent and hearing.
The physique of these dogs is proportional and graceful. They have:
- flat skull and narrow muzzle;
- medium-sized eyes with a dark iris;
- straight back;
- different coat colors.
The Japanese Terrier is not the most fluffy dog. The very structure of her coat is such that she simply will not be able to stay at low temperatures for a long time. Although this is not a hairless dog, but the compact terrier is only suitable for keeping in a warm city apartment. In such conditions, representatives of this Japanese breed will be excellent companions.
Experts advise walking with such pets in separate forested areas. If you went for a walk with a Japanese terrier in the winter season, then it is advisable to “dress up” him in comfortable overalls in which he will not be cold.
Try to protect such a dog from the negative effects of drafts. Otherwise, the terrier runs the risk of becoming seriously ill.
Japanese Terriers are incredibly attached to “their person.” They are able to quickly catch any changes in the mood of the owner. These pets just love when everyone around them is happy. Terriers always want to be the center of attention in the home. If these dogs are not played with and left alone at home for a long time, they can make a serious mess. Try to give these dogs a lot of attention. Don’t make them miss you.
Experts say that purebred Japanese terriers in no case should you accustom to the food that a person usually eats. This is especially true for sweet foods in any form. In the “Japanese” diabetes develops rapidly – this should not be forgotten.
How to choose?
The choice of a puppy belonging to the Japanese breed must be approached with all responsibility. Decide in advance what exactly you want to get a dog for and in what conditions you can keep it. If you do not plan to equip a home for a pet in an apartment, then a breed with short hair or a weak undercoat should not be taken. Miniature, dwarf dogs are also extremely rarely suitable for keeping outdoors.
Purebred pedigreed puppies are best purchased in special nurseries with a good reputation. This is due to the fact that most Japanese breeds in our country are poorly distributed. Unscrupulous breeders may offer you a mestizo or just a non-purebred pet.
Before buying, you should look at the puppy. He must be active and healthy. Sluggish movements, a painful look should push you away from the purchase. Take a closer look at the eyes, ears of the animal. They must be absolutely clean, without suppuration and other secretions. It should also be clean under the tail.
The puppy must have all the necessary documents. When purchasing a thoroughbred pet in a nursery, you should immediately ask the specialists all your questions. Ask what to feed the dog, how to properly care for it, if you yourself do not know this yet.
Useful tips and tricks
Four-legged representatives of Japanese breeds are insanely popular in our time. They are bred both as wonderful hunters, and as watchmen, and as good-natured companions. Having such a faithful and intelligent friend, it is worth considering a number of tips and recommendations from experts.
- If you keep a small chin, you need to make sure that in hot and sunny weather it does not overheat, does not stay outside for too long under the scorching sun. Under such conditions, the pet may begin to suffocate.
- It is impossible to leave representatives of Japanese breeds without movement. These pets are not lazy and do not like to lie in four walls all day. Be sure to provide the “Japanese” with serious physical activity, walk and play with them.
- Kai dogs are very good hunters, but do not expect aggressive behavior from them. These animals are hardly suitable for the role of watchmen.
- In the upbringing and training of dogs of any Japanese breed, one should not resort to physical punishment or screaming. It is necessary to educate the “Japanese” carefully, with respect. You should have more patience. If you neglect this recommendation, the pet will not perceive you as his best friend, and there must be mutual understanding between a person and a dog.
- You should be especially careful when purchasing a purebred Japanese terrier. Dogs of this breed are not very common even in their homeland, and in Russia it is even more difficult to find them. Contact only nurseries.
- If you decide to get an Akita Inu, you should be prepared for the fact that this animal is not so easy to learn. You will have to cope with his temper and character. Experts advise buying puppies of this breed only for very patient people and strong personalities.
- Never feed Japanese breed dogs table food. Thoroughbred animals can only eat balanced food without spices, seasonings. Smoked meats, sweets, fried foods and pastries are prohibited. You can give the “Japanese” ready-made food, but only premium or super-premium. They are expensive, but do not harm the health of the pet.
- If you can’t do everything with the upbringing of a thoroughbred “Japanese” or you are afraid to do it yourself, then it’s better to trust the experts.
Many people trust the training and training of their pets to professionals in order to prevent serious mistakes that can lead to big problems in the future.
For an overview of Japanese dog breeds, see the video below.