Corella is a tame parrot that can talk. The bird is a relative of the cockatoo, has an external resemblance to it. The cockatiel has a short beak, a large tail, which has a pointed appearance and reaches 16 centimeters in length.
The parrot itself is medium in size, about 31 cm; weight about 91 grams. In most cases, it is a pet. On the head of the parrot there is a long crest that can rise and fall (it depends on the mood of the bird). The plumage of cockatiels is not bright. There are colors such as gray, white and yellow. The bird has expressive features, thanks to which you can admire it for a long time.
The male cockatiel is more elegant and bright than the female. It has a dark gray body, yellow crest and head, orange spots on the cheeks, wings and tail – with a black-bluish color. Males can actively and quickly develop, they chirp louder and can often knock their beaks on the cage. The female is calm, has gray feathers; there are brown spots on the cheeks, the top of the body is light yellow, and the bottom of the body is dark.
Corellas acquired the name of the nymph; their homeland is Australia. In Australia, they can be seen almost everywhere, because it is there that the climate is good for parrots of this species. But parrots love to settle in the depths of the continent: where there are savannas, good shrubs, eucalyptus groves. Parrots usually live on dry, long trees, where their gray tone almost does not stand out against the background of the surrounding view.
These birds get used to and become attached to humans. Birds like to be among people.
Corella parrots have few species. All of them practically do not differ from each other. All of them can be tamed, provided with the necessary conditions of detention, taught to talk. You can meet mother-of-pearl, brown, motley cockatiels. Some have a combination of colors.
Corella needs a roomy, spacious cage. You need to purchase a large cage, which has a minimum size: length – 62 cm, width 42 – cm, height – 72 cm. It is important that the bird has a long cage. If the cage is not long, then the cockatiel can injure its wings or break its tail.
The base of the cage can be round, square or rectangular. If the corners are not present, then the cockatiel will become nervous, because she will be uncomfortable. In cages, rods are almost always arranged horizontally. This allows the parrot to move perfectly along the walls, clinging to them with its claws and beak. But there are cells that have vertical bars. Therefore, when a product is purchased, it is necessary to choose cells with horizontal bars.
The cell must contain pull-out tray that can be cleaned without disturbing the parrot. But if the parrot begins to fly around the house, then the cage can be completely cleaned. A pull-out tray is needed because it is easier to remove than the top of the cage.
The material of the cage must be environmentally friendly, durable, smooth, so that the cockatiel cannot be injured on sharp corners. Natural and eco-friendly wood is not suitable for poultry. Because the tree is difficult and inconvenient to clean, and pests can also start in it. Also, the tree cannot be treated with antiparasitic material, as this will cause poisoning in the parrot.
Plywood is a lightweight material, but it also has disadvantages. MDF board is a valid option because it is highly environmentally friendly. Chipboard (chipboard) contains formaldehyde resins, which are hazardous to the health of the parrot. The material must be strong enough so that the parrot cannot break it.
The pallet should have long sides so that the food that the parrots eat does not spill out of the cage. Some models have additional gratings, they are stacked on top of the pallet. The lattice is necessary so that the parrot can only peck food; in addition, the paws of the birds will remain dry and clean.
The walls and roof should be made of stainless steel rods or mesh. The distance between the bars should be not less than 22 millimeters.
This distance will prevent the parrot from sticking its head between the bars, and the bird will not get injured.
It is necessary not only to choose a good and spacious cage, but also to correctly determine the area where the cage will be located. You can not install a cage:
- in a room where a person rarely goes;
- in the kitchen, where meals are prepared and there is a lot of steam;
- in a room where there is too much noise;
- in places where there are electrical appliances;
- in places that are close to heating appliances (dry air has a detrimental effect on feathers);
- in ventilated areas (the bird will be able to endure cold air, but it will get sick due to drafts);
- on window sills in too cold winters and hot summers;
- near an open window, where there may be a draft or it will be too noisy, and this will scare the parrot.
The cage should be at the level of the face of a standing person.. If the parrot is a little lower, then he will feel depressed, and if he is a little higher, he will feel in charge. Corella is a sociable bird, she needs to observe what is happening, she needs to hear human voices. It is not necessary to set up a cage in the middle of the room – the cockatiel can only feel protected if the sides of her house are well pressed against the wall. Corella can be stressed: if she gets scared, she loses consciousness or sheds her feathers.
Light in the room. You need to create the right contrast. Too hot and bright light should not be allowed, from which the bird cannot hide.
It is necessary that the temperature is at room temperature, and the light is not too bright.
There is a wide range of useful products for cockatiels. You need to know what the bird’s diet should be in its natural environment. The main ones are seeds from the fruits of wild plants, as well as the pulp of the fruit. Parrots can eat grass and cereals, insects and larvae.
Feeding cockatiels at home. The bird should eat a variety of high-quality foods. You need to know some rules for the safe feeding of birds.
- You can give vegetables, citrus fruits, fruits.
- You can not feed the bird in huge portions. The product must be safe for digestion.
- Before buying portions for a month, you need to try a small batch. You can experiment: if you soak seeds that can sprout, they will become useful for feeding.
- You need to know the needs of Corella. If the bird lacks any substances, then the diet needs to be supplemented with the missing elements.
Before choosing a food, you need to pay attention to proven products.
- Versele Laga is a Belgian brand. He presents 2 lines: Prestige Big Parakeets is a natural product that has a huge composition of cereals. Prestige Australian Parakeet contains granules that contain vitamins.
- Italian brand Padovan. Food containing fruit and biscuit crumbs.
- Products from RIO. There is food for cockatiels during molting, and there is also a basic diet.
- Vitakraft is a German brand. Represents 3 lines: NATURE DINNER – it contains raspberries; Australian – there are cactus leaves and eucalyptus; Vitakraft MENU – is the main diet, it includes nuts and honey.
- dandelion leaves, celery, corn;
- branches of birch, linden, spruce;
- apples, pears, pineapple, lemon, cherries;
- if there is not enough protein, then you can give lean meat in small portions, cottage cheese and boiled eggs.
For a cockatiel chick, dry mixes are suitable, which are diluted in liquid to make them thick. Next, the mixture should be allowed to cool to 40 degrees, and then feed the chick.
Feeding a sick bird
If the parrot does not have enough minerals, then this affects health. If there is not enough vitamin A, then skin diseases will appear. You can add the missing substances: river sand or mineral stone. The calorie content of the feed must not be allowed so that the bird does not become obese. The diet in this case should be light and contain cereal products.
- It is recommended to clean the cage of the remaining food and pour fresh food in the evening. Then you need to cover the cage, and in the morning the bird will start its day.
- For one parrot, 16-26 grams of food is enough.
- There are no restrictions on the amount of fruits and vegetables eaten. You need to cut vegetables and fruits into cubes or grate.
- To get enough calcium, you need to grate the shell of a boiled egg.
What can not be given to a parrot?
- Corella is forbidden to give pieces of avocado and mango, they must be included in dry food;
- do not give herbs that contain essential oils, such as parsley;
- condiments are prohibited;
- you can’t give bread, only crumbs of biscuit;
- don’t give human food.
Corellas love to swim. Hygiene and prevention of dry skin must be observed.
Parrots like to bathe in different ways, for example, in baths or wet grass and leaves, some like to stand under running water. There are cockatiels that like to stand under a trickle of liquid, and then leave when they are completely wet.
Corella can be bathed in a bath. In the summer, you need to keep the bath open for the parrot, because the cockatiel gets very hot, and she will climb there several times a day so that the skin does not dry out. You don’t have to buy a special bath in the store, you just need to use a simple container that has an average depth. The liquid must be poured under the growth of the parrot. The parrot should feel the bottom, there should be a lot of water so that the cockatiel can comfortably wash. In summer, room temperature of the liquid is needed. Water needs to be changed 1 time in 2 days.
You can bathe the cockatiel in the sink. The sink should not contain traces of cleaning agents. If after washing the dishes there is a plaque on the sink, then the parrot will be able to drink from this sink or swim there. You need to thoroughly clean everything and leave a thin stream of water so that the parrot can stand and bathe. You can try spraying. In winter, the parrot rarely takes a bath.
You can not dry the cockatiel with a hair dryer. It is better to plant a bird in a warm bath over a heated towel rail. Wrap the heated towel rail itself with a towel so that the parrot does not have contact with hot metal.
There may be some difficulties with the cockatiel. In order for the bird not to get sick, good conditions are needed. Corella gets sick infrequently, if she is sick, then her appearance and behavior will change. A parrot that is sick cannot respond to stimuli, it sits with its eyes closed and does not eat anything. The reasons for the poor condition of the bird are: parasites, intestinal upset, goiter infections, inflammation of the eyes, poisoning, colds.
If you can’t find out the diseases of the cockatiel yourself, thenabout it needs to be taken to the veterinarian, and then provide the feathered with the necessary conditions so that he recovers as soon as possible. If the cockatiel lives at home, then it will live longer. A hand cockatiel can live up to 17-19 years if it is well cared for.
There are some guidelines that will help the parrot get used to the new habitat comfortably:
- It is necessary to remove items such as a computer, radio, TV from the room. They make a lot of sound. You can’t shout, you have to speak quietly.
- You need to talk with a parrot affectionately and calmly in order to arouse friendliness in a feathered one.
- It is necessary to change the usual way of life, Corella must watch everyone.
- You can not move sharply next to the cage and stick your fingers.
- The parrot must be protected from guests until the bird can get used to the owner.
The adaptation of the cockatiel depends on the nature of the parrot and can last about 14 days.
- Corella has its own character. She may love children, but she can be vocal.
- The bird is funny, friendly, clean. She is able to learn, devoted to the owner, but she needs a spacious cage.
- Corella is smart, funny, quick-witted, beautiful, smart, but she screams too loudly.
- The parrot gives a positive attitude every day, can imitate various melodies. But its maintenance requires certain costs. For some people, buying a bird is not cheap.
Some owners have taught the cockatiel to talk to people. Some have managed to teach the bird hundreds of words and phrases. If the owner takes good care of the pet, then in some cases the bird lives up to 26 years.
The bird itself can wake up early and scream. Maybe even bite the owner.
Corella is a positive family friend and requires a lot of attention. The parrot is arrogant, too curious. Trash a lot. If you take young cockatiels, then they can be easily and quickly accustomed. They are very affectionate. For some, Corella is a real punishment. She is very beautiful, but she screams loudly and bites painfully. Thus, the cockatiel is a wonderful parrot, it just needs care and attention.
For information about the features of caring for a parrot, see the following video.