Small rodents with charming eyes and delicate fur have been very popular with Russian and foreign breeders for many years. We are talking about wonderful guinea pigs. Fluffy “pigs” most of the time prefer to rest in a comfortable position. An excellent solution for owners of guinea pigs will be a hammock made with their own hands.
Unlike decorative rats, the guinea pig has short legs and cannot climb over all sorts of obstacles. Therefore, the ideal place for her is a hammock. It will become an excellent shelter for the animal and a place of relaxation after outdoor games. First of all, the breeder needs to know that the paws and spine of the animal are rather weak. In this regard, a highly suspended hammock will only cause inconvenience to the pet.
An animal can make an unsuccessful jump and get a serious fracture. The “bed” for fluffy “pigs” should have excellent tension and be fixed between the two walls of the “dwelling”. The most comfortable height is 6-8 cm from the floor level.
Naturally, a ready-made hammock can be purchased at any pet store. But for the sake of economy, such a thing can be done with your own hands. In addition, its creation does not require professional skills and knowledge, and the manufacturing process itself is quite interesting and creative.
Fabric selection and tool kit
First of all, you need to decide on the choice of material for the future hammock. A dense material that does not spread and does not absorb odors is best suited for these purposes. The fact is that fluffy animals are very fond of marking their territory.
To make an accessory, take jeans, cotton or fleece. Note that silk and satin fabric is not recommended. Besides, do not use synthetic materials. The fact is that synthetics, when in contact with animal hair, form static electricity. In this case, the hairs “stand on end”, and the guinea pig experiences discomfort. You will also need strong ropes to secure the hammock. They can be made from the remnants of fabric or braid.
To sew a hammock, you will need the following set of tools:
- sharpened scissors;
- a set of needles, threads;
- sewing machine (optional)
- felt-tip pen or pencil (bright colors);
- cardboard (for a hammock house);
- buttons and ribbons for decoration;
- filler fabric (cotton wool, synthetic winterizer or fleece);
- tape measure or ruler.
There are three types of hammocks for guinea pigs:
- hammock house.
The type of accessory will depend on personal preferences and the size of the furry animal’s home. If the cage has only one side exit, then it is better to choose a corner hammock. The direct “bed” is suitable for almost all cells, and the “house” implies the presence of a large space inside the building.
We make a hammock with our own hands
The process of manufacturing the accessory necessary for a fluffy pet does not require professional skills and knowledge. Having decided on the type of hammock, you can get to work.
This option is the easiest. So let’s start the process:
- we take a piece of dense fabric (jeans) and cut out two rectangles (50 cm long, 35 cm wide);
- fleece fabric will serve as a “lining”, we also cut out a rectangular piece from it (5–7 cm less);
- we sew the edges of the denim from the wrong side (manually or using a sewing machine);
- we don’t touch one side – we should get a “cover”;
- we turn the product on the front side and fill it with fleece fabric;
- we sew the remaining edges of the hammock and decorate the “corners” with a velvet ribbon (optional);
- at the corners of the product we create holes and insert strong ropes or carabiners into them;
- attach the hammock to the bars of the cage.
This option is perfect for the dwelling of the animal, where the door is located on the side. Action algorithm:
- take a piece of cotton and cut out two isosceles triangles from it;
- between the halves we put a piece of synthetic winterizer and sew the sides of the product;
- along the edges of the corner hammock we make identical holes and insert a tight rope (or braid) into them;
- We place the hammock in the corner of the cage.
This option is the most difficult. To create it, you will need free time and patience. The hammock house is designed not only for resting a fluffy pet, but also serves as a kind of shelter. He will gladly hide a treat or a toy in it. So let’s get started.
- From denim we make patterns of different sizes – a roof, a base and a back wall.
- First of all, we cut out two rectangles from the fabric and sew them from the wrong side.
- Next, we turn the roof of the hammock to the outside, insert a piece of cardboard into it and sew it together.
- We take the largest piece of fabric, put a synthetic winterizer in it and sew it again.
- Next, we attach the base to the roof on both sides.
- Then we proceed to create the back wall of the house. We cut out two circles from the fabric (we focus on the width of the base) and put cardboard in them. We connect the edges with threads and fasten the back wall to the base.
- By tradition, we hang the product with the help of dense ropes or braid to the top of the cage.
How to teach?
Sometimes, despite the appearance of an interesting little thing, the animal may not show due interest in the hammock. In this case, put your favorite treat or toy in it. Note that it takes a certain amount of time for a guinea pig to get used to a new accessory. Therefore, do not force the animal to sit in a hammock without his desire. He himself must show interest in him.
Naturally, the product must be washed regularly. Once a week will be enough. If the fluffy “pig” stains the hammock more often, then it is better to refuse the accessory.
Washing a hammock involves the use of children’s hypoallergenic powders or soaps in order to avoid irritation of the animal’s skin.
Note that guinea pigs will definitely taste the new accessory, so carefully monitor the product. A hammock that has become unusable should be thrown away immediately. Also pay attention that the threads do not stick out from the “bed” of the animal, and the decorative elements are large. For example, a poorly sewn small button on a hammock can cause the death of a fluffy pet.
Video on how to make a hammock with your own hands, see below.