Parrots are one of the most popular pets. Their content does not require large financial and time costs. They are placed in a spacious cage, the best walk for parrots is flying around the room. However, there are a few rules of care that you need to know in order for your bird to remain healthy and delight you for a long time.
Before buying a feathered friend, you should definitely familiarize yourself with how to care for him.
- Buy a spacious cage and set it up at eye level. Equip it with several perches, a drinking bowl, two feeders. You can put river sand or eggshells, which helps the digestion of birds.
- Remember that the bird house must be protected from drafts. The optimum temperature of the content ranges from +18 to +25 C, do not place the cage near heating appliances. Humidity is suitable 45-70%. There should be sufficient natural or artificial light.
- Current cleaning in the cage is done daily. At the same time, droppings, husks from grains are removed, the water in the drinking bowl is changed. General cleaning can be done once a month. Wipe all the bars of the cage, perches with a rag soaked in chamomile infusion. Approximately once every 3 months, treat the cage with infusion of soda (100 g per 1 liter of water).
- Parrots don’t like loud noises., so do not listen to music or TV at full volume. Also reduce the overall noise level, do not collect large companies at home. A feathered friend will get used to you and the atmosphere in the house for a long time. Do not pick up a bird at first.
- Parrots love to fly. Give them that opportunity after an adjustment period. To do this, close all the windows in the room and curtain them, as the birds crash into the glazed openings. Leave your pet, as soon as he walks up and wants to eat, he will return to the cage.
- If your feathered friend gets bored, hang a mirror next to his roost. Then he will think that a female is next to him and will start cooing with his reflection.
The essentials that will allow you to properly maintain a pet include a cage, a perch, grain feed, a feeder, a drinker. You should have all of this before buying a pet. Pay attention to the choice of food. It must consist of high-quality components; the use of expired or moldy grains is unacceptable.
It is also important to monitor the quality of water, it is unacceptable that it be chlorinated. Do not use tap water. Better if it comes in bottles. To care for the beak, you will need a mineral stone. To bathe your pet, purchase a special bath for him. For the joy of the parrot, purchase toys and items for the cage:
There are also whole game complexes for birds, which are located in the room. You can either purchase them or make your own from improvised materials. You will need paper to keep the cage clean. Buy a package of the cheapest paper, put it on the bottom of the cage. After contamination, change to a new sheet.
On the recommendation of the owners, paper towels can also be used for this purpose. But you should not take newspapers because of printing ink. If it gets inside, then your feathered friend will be poisoned.
Parrots navigate by the sun. If it rises, then their day begins.
If this does not suit you, cover the cage with a thick blanket at night, and simply remove it when you rise. This will help keep you awake.
What to feed?
We have already found out that you will find special grain food for feathered pets in the pet store. Once again, we remind you to pay attention to the integrity of the packaging and expiration dates. Since good food is the key to the health of your pet. Fried, spicy, salty foods are contraindicated for parrots, so it is undesirable to treat them from your table. There are several ways to diversify your friend’s menu.
- Fruit. There is an opinion that parrots do not like them. However, before asserting this, it is still worth offering a healthy treat to your friend. Fruit must be exceptionally fresh, pre-washed, peeled and cut into small pieces. Please note that parrots should not have persimmon, mango, avocado and papaya fruits. The rest of the fruits can be subject to good tolerance.
- Vegetables. It is not recommended to give parrots onions, celery, radishes and radishes. Carrots, cucumber, different types of cabbage, peppers, corn, peas, tomatoes are perfect. Vegetables should be fresh, clean, cut into small pieces.
- Greens. Parrots cannot tolerate fragrant herbs, so limit your diet to cilantro, celery, and dill. Let’s have some greenery daily. Use beet tops, various lettuce leaves, clover, plantain, spinach, burdock, meadow herbs. Natural foliage will enrich your pet’s diet and nourish him with vitamin C.
- Feathers gnaw everything. To satisfy these reflexes, it is recommended to give them various branches. Linden and maple branches, as well as willows, cherries, alders, mountain ash, currants, pears – all this will suit your pet. There are also some house plants that the parrot will like: bamboo, Kalanchoe, palm, hibiscus, citrus trees. It is forbidden to give acacia, lilac, oak, bird cherry, poplar and elderberry.
Before offering a treat to your pet, soak the branches in cool water for 5-6 hours, then rinse them thoroughly and pour boiling water over them.
Be aware that some foods can harm your pet:
How to wash?
The problem of bathing is acute for the owner of a parrot if the feathered one does not like to wash. It would seem that this is not required. But not everything is so simple. Since the bird flies through all the rooms, once dirty, it will spread the dirt throughout the house. Let’s look at the instructions for successful swimming.
- If the pet does not like to be touched, then it is best to wrap it in a towel.
- Then fix your head. To do this, holding the body, take the bird under the cheeks.
- Bathroom lighting should not be too bright. Use subdued light.
- For heavy soiling, use soapy water. It should be applied with light massaging movements in the direction of feather growth. Be careful not to get soap in your eyes or beak.
- Use natural drying methods. Do not use hair dryers or heaters.
For lovers of water procedures, swimming is much easier. Type in a suitable container of water at room temperature, and your pet will do everything.
Some species love running water. Then adjust the water temperature and give complete freedom of action.
When keeping parrots at home, they must be fed with vitamins and trace elements. Vitamins are needed in spring and autumn, as well as in diseases and during molting. In veterinary pharmacies, you can find ready-made mixtures for parrots.
If you want to use natural substances, then you can add lemon juice or honey in small concentrations to the drinker. Approximately 3-4 drops per 100 ml of water. Minerals are essential for strong bones, feathers and beaks.
Feed your pet with crushed eggshells or chalk about once a month, and then he will feel good and please you for a long time.
Most often, parrot owners wonder if their pet can speak. It is possible to teach speech to any parrot.
- The learning process should be carried out by the person whom the feathered one is not afraid of.
- Start with simple phrases, such as the name of a pet.
- Your intonation should be soft, and the mood is friendly. Be patient, it will take you from 2 months to six months for the pet to speak.
- Remember that you can only teach speech if your parrot lives alone. When he learns to talk, feel free to buy him a friend.
Parrots readily breed in captivity. To do this, the birds must like each other. If the male begins to show his attention to the female, be prepared for the appearance of chicks. Be sure to buy a house for hatching eggs. A clutch may contain 8 to 10 eggs. The female demolishes them every other day, 1-2, after which she begins to incubate.
After 18-21 days, the first chick will hatch, his brothers and sisters will appear after him. Most often, parrots bring offspring in winter.
For information on how to care for parrots, see the following video.