Hamsters are very cute and easy to care for pets. With the right content, they do not cause their owners almost any trouble. Because of their small size, hamsters are kept in cages or in special small houses. However, do not forget about the natural needs of the animal in sufficient physical activity. In order to enable the pet to be active, various attractions are installed in the home of domestic hamsters. The article will discuss how to make a wheel for a hamster with your own hands.
Why do you need a trainer?
Hamsters, by nature, are nocturnal rodents. Under natural conditions, the animals run long distances in order to feed themselves. Hamsters kept at home are deprived of this opportunity. In addition, there is simply no special need to independently search for and obtain food, because the owner provides timely and sufficient feeding to the pet.
But despite favorable conditions and satiety, hamsters still need to periodically get exercise. This is necessary not only for the entertainment of the animal, but also to maintain the health of its cardiovascular system. Regular physical activity stimulates the metabolism and metabolism of the rodent, helps to keep the muscular system in good shape.
And in the conditions of a small cage, it is necessary to give the hamster the opportunity to move around, because it is not safe to let him go for a free walk. Due to its small size, the animal is not very visible, and it can be accidentally injured. But also other pets can be dangerous for hamsters: cats, dogs, large parrots.
A convenient and safe solution to this problem is to install a running wheel directly into the pet’s home. Hamsters quickly understand how to use it, if they wish, they can climb onto the simulator at any time and run around.
The only downside is that Hamster is a nocturnal animal. That is, its activity in most cases falls on the time of day when we are used to sleep. Therefore, active night runs can disturb the inhabitants of the apartment if the wheel creaks or makes a knock.
Manufacturers are trying to produce silent rides for rodents. However, a running wheel that does not make loud sounds can also be made at home.
Before you start making an attraction for your pet, you should at least in general terms figure out what a jogging wheel should be.
- The attraction must be the right size. The animal should not be cramped inside, otherwise it will not be able to move comfortably. Too large dimensions of the running structure are also undesirable. It will be very difficult for a hamster to turn such a wheel with his paws. For an adult Djungarian hamster, a diameter of 14-16 cm is suitable. It is better for animals of the Syrian breed to make a larger attraction, as they are larger. For an adult, the diameter of the circle must be at least 25 cm.
- The width of the treadmill also matters. If it is not wide enough, the hamster will periodically fall and may be injured. For small and medium-sized individuals, it is better to make a simulator 5 cm wide. For larger breeds, a track width of 7-8 cm is recommended.
- The running wheel should spin easily. Otherwise, the animal will quickly get tired and may lose interest in its attraction.
- It is worth taking care that the pet does not injure its paws during classes. It directly depends on the material and surface structure of the running track. If you decide to use mesh materials, then make sure that the cells are as small as possible. Otherwise, while running, a hamster’s foot may get stuck in them. And also on the simulator there should not be sharp notches or bumps that the hamster can stumble on.
- The treadmill inside the wheel must not be slippery. Therefore, a smooth plastic surface should be pasted over with cork in advance (it can be purchased at any hardware store). For him, the pet will be able to cling to claws.
- When installing a wheel, make sure it is securely fastened.. The animal moves on the track quite intensively, and the shaky structure can tip over during its run. Therefore, the treadmill must be attached to the bars of the cage or placed on a solid and stable support.
For the manufacture of the wheel, you can use various materials at hand.
From plastic bottles
Materials needed: a large round plastic bottle, a nail, a dowel with a diameter of 1 cm, a strip of cork.
- measure 7-8 cm from the bottom of the bottle and cut it at this level;
- make a hole in the center of the bottom of the cut container and insert the head of the prepared nail into it;
- insert the nail into the dowel;
- glue the slippery surface of the bottle with a strip of cork material;
- attach the homemade wheel to the bars of the cage with a dowel.
A simple cardboard option
For manufacturing, you need to prepare a strong knitting needle, a sheet of thick cardboard, glue, a ruler, scissors.
The workflow includes several steps.
- Draw two identical circles on the cardboard with a compass and cut them out. They will serve as walls on both sides of the track.
- On circles with scissors, make 2-3 square or round windows. Their dimensions should be slightly larger than the size of your pet. Through these holes, the hamster will be able to make his way inside his running wheel.
- From the remaining cardboard, cut a long strip 5-7 cm wide. This will be the attraction track.
- Glue a strip of cardboard between the two circles. Let the glue dry and hold the parts together well.
- Determine the center of the circle and pierce both walls with a knitting needle in this place.
- The resulting wheel can be placed on a support or attached to the wall of a house or cage with a flexible wire.
From a tin container
To make a simulator, you will need: a cylinder from a computer system disk (hard drive), a tin can of the desired diameter, metal glue, flexible wire, a file, a piece of cork material.
Making a running attraction:
- the first thing to do is to remove the metal cylinder from the faulty hard drive, to do this, open the disk cover and carefully remove the part;
- cut the tin container at a distance of 6-7 cm from the bottom, process the edges with a file.
- cut a strip of cork material along the width and length of the treadmill and glue it over the inner surface of the tin container;
- to make the design as silent as possible, you can glue a circle of fabric to the bottom of the jar;
- take a metal cylinder from the hard drive and glue it exactly in the center of the round wall of the wheel;
- after the parts are firmly connected, the running wheel can be fixed on the bars of the cage.
See below for a video on how to make a hamster wheel with your own hands.