For a comfortable existence of a pet, a cage for a hamster is necessary. There are many different options that differ not only in the material of manufacture, but also in design. It is important to choose a quality product and properly equip it for your pet.
Types of cages for a hamster
There are different options, so the most popular are simple one-story structures. If you want to buy products of large dimensions, the best is a two-story cage for a hamster or a product with three floors. The height between levels should not be very large. Hamsters use different floors for their own purposes, more often on the upper ones – the rodents rest, and on the lower ones – they are active.
Metal cage for a hamster
The main advantage of such products is good aeration. The hamster cage can be easily disassembled, which is important for quality care. Most models have a removable plastic or wooden bottom. It is important to choose cages made of hard metal, as a pet can gnaw through soft rods. Experts advise choosing a design with unpainted rods made of stainless steel. Be sure to pay attention to the density of the rods.
Wooden hamster cage
Environmentally friendly material is a good choice for making rodent housing. Hardwood must be used. Natural material is used to make large cages for hamsters, and more often they are combined, that is, the frame is made of wood, and the walls are made of metal rods. The disadvantages of such products include the fact that porous wood absorbs odors and moisture, and is also poorly cleaned.
Plastic hamster cage
Affordable are cages made of plastic. It is important to choose products made of durable and safe material. A plastic cage for a hamster should be free of sharp elements so that the animal does not get hurt during its vigorous activity. Two design options are common: the bottom and floor are made of plastic, and the walls are made of metal grating, the base is a plastic aquarium, and the grate is located on the roof. Often plastic cages for hamsters are equipped with numerous accessories.
How to choose a cage for a hamster?
When choosing a suitable home, you should focus on the type of rodent.
- Cage for Djungarian hamster. A breed that needs space for its vigorous activity. It is recommended to purchase a wheel and other entertainment accessories. Not only the size of the hamster cage should be suitable, but also its reliability, so the lock should not open easily, and the distance between the bars should not be large. A good ventilation system matters.
- Syrian hamster cage. These rodents are large, so saving on space by choosing a house for them is not worth it. The common cell size of 35×20 cm is not for them. Please note that the distance between the bars does not exceed 5 mm.
DIY hamster cage
From improvised materials in a short time, you can independently build housing for a pet. Instructions on how to make a cage for a hamster:
- Take a household plastic container or any other container of a suitable size. Mark on the walls the places where the windows will be placed.
- Close the front hole with glass, attaching it with hot glue.
- Cut out pieces from the mesh to cover the back and side openings with them. It is better to fasten them with construction ties, making holes for them. The protruding ends must be cut off.
- Make a hole in the lid and close it with a mesh.
- Additionally, the mesh can be fixed from the outside with hot-melt adhesive.
How to equip a cage for a hamster?
To create a comfortable environment for the animal, it is recommended to choose the necessary accessories for it. Tips for what should be in a hamster’s cage:
- feeder. It is recommended to choose a ceramic container with a stable bottom. It is especially necessary for Syrian hamsters.
- Toys. You can use not only purchased options, but also improvised means. For example, hamsters can play with toilet paper rolls. You can buy a plastic ball that the pet will roll around the cage.
- mineral stone. Rodents love to sharpen their teeth, so this element is important. It will become a source of useful minerals. Some stones include various additives in the composition: dried fruits, probiotics and vitamins.
- Other. In the cage, you can place a ladder, a hammock where the pet can rest, and so on.
Filler for a hamster in a cage
There are many materials that can be used as a pallet cover:
- Newspaper. A simple bedding for a hamster, which was used extensively in the past, but it is dangerous for the pet’s health. In addition, it is not able to absorb odors.
- Pieces of blank paper. Use pieces of paper towels or napkins. Of these, the rodent will be able to make a mink. Such filler in a hamster cage cannot completely absorb the liquid and get rid of the smell.
- Cotton wool and fabric. Soft litter is hazardous to the health of the pet, as it can stretch it into fibers and get tangled in them, injuring itself.
- Sawdust. A common option that is affordable. Such a filler removes moisture and odors well. It should be replaced every 2-4 days. Do not use sawdust in the cage of a long-haired animal.
- Compressed wood filler. An excellent option that absorbs odors and moisture. Change it once a week. The disadvantages include the large size of the granules and the presence of dust, which is dangerous for animals with allergies.
- Cellulose filler. Moisture and odor absorption properties are similar to pressed sawdust. At the same time, the granules are light and soft.
- Corn litter. The best option, but the price is high. Fine filler has excellent absorbent properties.
Drinking bowl for a hamster
A water tank is a must in a rodent’s home, so when thinking about what a hamster needs in a cage, it should be on your list. You should not use an ordinary saucer or bowl, as the animal will easily turn them over. It is recommended to give preference to a special drinker, for example, vacuum, nipple and so on. They fix it from the outside, bringing a spout or a tube for drinking liquid into the cell.
These rodents are active, and in order for them to spend their energy correctly, it is recommended to buy a wheel for them. Not only the cage for the rodent, but also this accessory must be safe. Choose solid products that do not slip inside and have transverse protrusions. If you want to buy a mesh structure, then give preference to options from small sections. A good choice for a hamster cage is a wooden wheel. The size must match the pet:
- for large breeds, a diameter of 19-30 cm is suitable;
- for small ones – 14-17 cm.
When choosing this element for a hamster cage, the following points must be considered:
- the toilet must correspond to the size of the pet;
- choose triangular or square products;
- collapsible designs are practical;
- the product must be made of high-quality plastic;
- it is important that the design is stable, for example, it can be fixed with hooks.
For a good rest, it is recommended to install a house in a cage, which must be safe and stable. The size of the dwelling is directly related to the size of the rodent. It is not recommended to make a house for a hamster out of cardboard, as the building will be quickly destroyed by the pet’s teeth. The range includes options from different materials:
- plastic house. The most popular option, which is durable and reliable. However, it is not well ventilated. For the manufacture of houses using high-quality plastic, which is easy to clean. The structures are presented in different forms.
- Wooden house. Building with environmentally friendly material is a good choice. Rodents can climb onto the roof because the surface is rough. Most wooden houses are like a dog kennel.
- ceramic house. Such structures can be considered a novelty. Ceramic is safe and retains heat well. At the same time, the price of such houses is higher than for options made of plastic and wood. It is important to consider the fragility of the structure, which can break. Houses are presented in a wide range, for example, there are options in the form of vegetables or cheese.
In nature, rodents regularly dig holes, improving and improving them. At home, a hamster cage with pipes can replace them, but tunnels are easy to purchase separately. The important nuances of choice include the following points:
- Pay attention to the diameter, so the rodent, being inside, should feel the walls.
- The pipes can be made of different materials, which will provide the animal with additional opportunities for research.
- When choosing a labyrinth for a hamster cage, be sure to consider its safety, this applies to both the material and the design itself.
- Pay attention to the strength and quality of the connections so that the product lasts more than one year.
Where to put a cage with a hamster?
For a comfortable life for a pet, it is important to choose the right home and place it in the right place. When choosing a place, be guided by the following tips:
- The space near the batteries and the place where the sun’s rays regularly fall is not suitable.
- A cage with a hamster should not be where there are drafts, because hypothermia provokes illness.
- Do not place the structure on the floor, as this narrows the view for curious rodents. The hamster cage must be at least 1 m above the floor.
- Unsuitable rooms for rodents: bathroom, balcony / loggia. They can be adversely affected by high humidity and coolness.
- It is impossible for the cage to come into contact with walls, curtains, and so on. The thing is that a hamster can simply damage them.
- There should be no sources of loud sounds nearby, such as a TV, as they can cause stress.
How to clean a hamster cage?
To prevent the animal from getting sick and from spreading an unpleasant odor, it is recommended to clean it once every 2-4 weeks.
- Whether your hamster cage is small or large, start with a tray of bedding. Rinse the container under plenty of running water. If the dirt is strong, then use a safe baby detergent.
- When changing the bedding, it is recommended to leave a clean part so that the smell of the rodent does not disappear from the home.
- Wipe the bars of the hamster cage using a cloth and plain water.
- Be sure to wash all the accessories used in the home.
Why does a hamster chew on a cage?
Rodents’ teeth grow quickly, so they need to grind down, which makes them taste the rods. Another reason that provokes an animal to such behavior is that it is bored or does not like the living conditions. This bad habit often occurs due to lack of physical activity. Grinding teeth is a necessary process. There are a couple of tips on how to wean a hamster from chewing on a cage: give him raw fruits and vegetables, buy special cereal sticks or a stone.