Fans of short-haired pets should pay attention to such a breed as a European cat. Breeders from Norway and Denmark, Sweden and Germany were engaged in its creation. It was a general purposeful breeding work, as a result of which an independent breed was bred, officially recognized in 1982.
European Shorthair cat – description of the breed
These affectionate pets do not cause any particular difficulties when kept in an apartment. Many people are interested in how much a European cat costs, so it is important to understand that the price depends on various parameters, for example, cattery and pedigree. The cost is in the range of $30-230.
- The animal gets along easily with other pets, with the exception of small birds and decorative hamsters, which they can hunt.
- The European Shorthair cat, whose photo can be seen below, actively helps to fight rodents, so it can be kept not only in urban conditions, but also in a country house.
- It is distinguished by good health, unpretentious and easy to care for, and the consequences of molting are easily eliminated with the help of simple procedures.
European cat – dimensions and weight
The main characteristics of appearance include:
- The compact animal has a strong physique, well-developed chest and limbs. The strong rear part of the cat’s body passes into a fluffy tail of medium length.
- On a rounded head with erect ears, expressive cheeks and a strong chin stand out. Large round eyes have a yellowish tint, and their color must be combined with a fur coat.
- The European breed of cats has a short, thick, shiny coat that does not fit tightly to the body.
- An adult cat can weigh 4-6 kg, and a cat – 6-8 kg.
European cat breed – character
Pet lovers should know that the European cat has a kind, accommodating character, quickly gets used to a new place and easily adapts to the rhythm of the owner’s life. However, this cat is freedom-loving and if the owner appreciates this quality, he will thank him with devotion and become a faithful companion. The European Smoothhair cat has a cheerful and playful character, which is combined with a balanced temperament. She is great with children and enjoys playing with them. You rarely hear her voice, except at the most critical moments.
European shorthair cat – colors
It is officially established that the European Shorthair cat has the largest number of different color variations. These include the main ones:
These colors are allowed either in two-tone or solid colors. It is possible to color the wool of a European cat with a tabby effect or in a smoky version. You can meet a cat of this breed with white hair, but this is possible only with a single color. Shades such as chocolate, lilac, fawn (fawn) and cinnamon (cinnamon) are considered unacceptable for the European smooth-haired cat.
How to care for a cat?
If the owner takes good care of his fluffy pet, then there will be no problems with keeping such an animal.
- The European Shorthair cat is not picky about food. She can be fed both natural products: fish, meat, boiled vegetables and offal, as well as ready-made dry food, such as Innova Evo, Grandorf, Pro Plan, Hill’s and Acana.
- The coat of the animal, although short, should be cared for regularly. It is not necessary to bathe the cat often, but if it is very dirty, then you can wash it.
- The European domestic cat has a coat that needs regular brushing. To do this, it is better to use a brush with metal teeth, so the hairs will not be electrified. It is necessary to comb the cat at least once a week, and during the molting period – even more often.
- In addition, you need to clean the cat’s ears using cotton swabs and hydrogen peroxide. The eyes are washed with a swab dipped in boiled water. The claws on the paws should be cut regularly, and then treated with potassium permanganate.