Animal in the apartment is a joy! They are funny and spontaneous, especially children will be delighted with the appearance of a pet in the house. The child loves to play with them, learns care and responsibility. Before deciding which pet to have in an apartment, you need to weigh all the pros and cons. Consider housing conditions, availability of free time and, of course, the tastes and preferences of each family member.
Dogs and cats of large and small breeds
Dogs are smart animals, they lend themselves well to training and are devoted with all their hearts to their master. These animals require a lot of attention, they love to play with them, talk and walk. Dogs can be quite impressive in size. For lovers of large animals, we present the top 10 largest dog breeds:
- Irish wolfhound;
- German dog;
- St. Bernard;
- Moscow watchdog;
- Caucasian and Central Asian Shepherd;
- English, Spanish, Pyrenean and Tibetan Mastiff.
A large dog is a faithful defender of its owner, it is not scary with it for a walk in the dark.
But the content of such an animal has its own specifics. They have a lot of energy that needs to be discharged. The dog must be walked 2 times a day and given enough time to run. It should be taken into account that By law, dogs must be on a leash and muzzled in public places.
Cats can also surprise with their parameters, for example, the height at the withers of the savannah reaches 1 m, and the weight is 20 kg. Among other large cats, the following breeds can be noted:
- Maine Coon;
- Norwegian Forest;
Big cats are great! They are graceful, imposing and proud. They love to play and run around the house. Some breeds, such as the Savannah, are recommended to be walked on a leash. Although cats are more independent than dogs, they also become attached to their owner and get bored if he leaves for a long time.
Keeping a large animal in an apartment requires a spacious living area.
An ideal place for them would be a cottage or a private house. Enclosures and insulated booths are made for dogs. The animal feels comfortable and does not frighten others with its size. If the apartment is small, then it is better to choose more “compact” breeds of dogs and cats. Bulldogs, Corgis, Poodles, Pomeranians will make your life more fun and varied, and “plush” British or ordinary domestic cats will fill the house with warmth and comfort.
Cats and dogs of all breeds, regardless of size, can ruin furniture or tear wallpaper in the most visible place. Especially a teenage animal, because he needs to run, play, sharpen his teeth and claws. The cat is bought a special scratching post, but it will take time to accustom it to it. For dogs, various synthetic bones and toys are suitable, which can be used to sharpen teeth. You need to purchase them in specialized stores, the only way you can make sure that the toy is safe for the dog.
Little cute animals
If you want less hassle, get a caged animal. He does not need to be accustomed to the toilet, walk and clean the wool throughout the apartment. It is enough to choose a suitable house, pour sawdust, feed the animal and keep its home clean. Let us describe in more detail the animals that are kept in cages.
- Hamsters are funny rodents. They love to run in a wheel, sleep curled up and eat, funny stuffing their cheeks with food. There are many varieties of these rodents, differing in color and size. The most popular are the long-haired Angora and Syrian, which can be golden, black, gray and white.
- Guinea pigs – animals with a dense body and short legs. They can be tortoiseshell, white or red. During the day, they constantly chew something, like grass, fruits and vegetables. Sometimes they make a squeak, which indicates discontent or hunger.
- Decorative rats – smart and smart rodents. They are trainable and bond with their owners. They love to spend time on their hands. Clean, urinate in one corner. If the cage is cleaned on time, there will be no smell in the apartment.
- Chinchillas – animals with chic fur, because of which they are hunted and bred on special farms. But these animals are also kept at home. They need a spacious cage, the minimum size of which is 50 × 70 cm, and preferably an aviary. During the day, the chinchilla usually sleeps, and is awake at night: it eats, sharpens its teeth, jumps and constantly rustles something. For this reason, the cage should not be placed in the bedroom.
- decorative rabbits – calm and unpretentious pets. The animal can be kept in a spacious aviary or in a small cage. In the latter case, the “eared” must sometimes be let out to jump, constant sitting in a cramped space is bad for the health and mood of the rabbit.
- ferrets – animals with an elongated body and a soft fur coat. If you give them freedom, they will climb into every crack and gnaw through the entire apartment. Because of this, many prefer to keep them in spacious cages, only letting them run around a few times a day. People with a keen sense of smell should be aware that the animal has a specific smell that not everyone likes.
The cage with the pet is placed away from drafts and direct sunlight.
They put a house, a bowl for food, a drinking bowl and a tray in it. They also install a small container with fine sand, with which the animals clean their fur coats. It is not difficult to take care of your pet’s house: you need to throw away leftover food, refresh water and change sawdust once every 3-4 days.
Amphibians and reptiles
Those who love unusual exotic animals should pay attention to amphibians and reptiles. For them, it is necessary to equip a terrarium or aquaterrarium, in which an environment close to natural conditions is recreated. For example, a desert, rainforest, or semi-aquatic setting. We present a complete list of the most unpretentious inhabitants of the terrarium.
- Achatina – snails are large in size, can grow up to 20–30 cm. They do not require special attention, they are very easy to care for. As a house for them, a container with a lid is chosen, the bottom of which is covered with a thick layer of peat substrate.
- Tritons – cute amphibians. At home, they are settled in a container filled with water with land areas – an aquaterrarium. Newts once a year have a two-week period of rest, they choose a convenient place for themselves and do not show any activity.
- Pond slider – great swimmer! They, too, for a full life will need an aquaterrarium, in which, in addition to ultraviolet lamps, incandescent lamps are placed. In nature, this type of turtle likes to bask in the sun after active swimming.
- Central Asian tortoise – a very friendly and peaceful animal. She can be taught to handle, then when in contact with the owner, she will not hide her head in the shell. They are kept in spacious dry terrariums. If you put an animal in a container that is too small, it becomes restless and may try to find a way out.
- Gecko – small lizards with a variety of colors. Beginners are recommended to start a leopard gecko, it is also called spotted eublefar. Geckos can shed their tails, but you shouldn’t provoke them to do this, because the new one will not be so smooth and beautiful.
- frogs – amphibians with interesting behavior. The most popular and easy-to-care species is the red-eyed tree frog. These frogs have a beautiful color: colored stripes on the sides of a green body and bright red eyes. They can change colors depending on external conditions.
- snakes – reptiles with a calm character. There are many species that differ in size, color, behavior and conditions of detention. There are small snakes that do not exceed 12 cm in length, but there are simply giants that grow up to 10 m. For beginners from miniature species, we can recommend the maize snake, and for those who want a larger animal, the California king snake, reaching 1.5–2 m.
Most of the listed reptiles and amphibians are predators. Therefore, all kinds of insects or small animals should be present in their diet.
For example, a gecko is fed spiders, cockroaches, flies, and a snake is fed mice and frogs. Feeding snakes is not a process for the faint of heart, so it is better to refuse to keep this reptile for those who are too reverent about all living creatures.
If you want your house to be filled with loud chirping, get a bird. They are easy to maintain, can be left alone for a long time, and they do not smell. The only negatives are the rubbish that pours out of the cage and the noise created by some species. If you want to sleep off on your day off, it is better to cover the cage with a thick cloth: in the dark, birds are quiet. Consider the most popular birds that are kept at home.
- parrots – one of the brightest and most beautiful birds. Most often, apartments contain budgerigars of green or blue colors. But there are many other interesting species. For example, Jaco, cockatoo, cockatiel, lovebirds. A parrot can be taught to speak, many buy them for this very purpose. But in order for the pet to speak, daily training will be required.
- Canaries – nimble and agile birds. They can be hand trained. If you want to listen to bird singing, it is better to buy a male, female canaries do not sing.
- Amadins – bright and cheerful birds. Some species have very beautiful plumage. The most common zebra finches are ash-colored birds with expressive red cheeks.
Domesticated birds are kept in a cage, which is equipped with a drinking bowl, a feeder and perches. So that the pet is not bored, place a mirror and hang a bell.
The cage should not be placed by the window; your feathered pet may catch a cold from a draft. Birds are rather fragile creatures and are easily injured – this should be remembered when you pick them up.
You can keep houses and wild species of birds. Starling, bullfinch, siskin and nightingale can live well in captivity. They get used to the owner and are happy to communicate with him. Some give birth to ducks, this bird does not sit in a cage, but moves freely throughout the apartment. It can be tamed, it lends itself well to training. And so that the bird does not crap around the house, they put on a diaper.
If you want to surprise your guests, get an exotic insect: a Madagascar cockroach or a red-winged stick insect. They are kept in insectariums with soil and live plants. Insects require a minimum of attention, they do not make noise and do not smell. A container with such a pet will not take up much space, it can be easily placed on a desk.
Recently, an ant farm or formicarium is gaining popularity – this is a transparent container, consisting of several chambers, in which a colony of ants is populated.
You can watch their life activity, it is very exciting. A strict hierarchy is formed in the colony of these insects, each has its own profession and status. Caring for an artificial anthill is not difficult, but it must be done regularly. Beginners are advised to choose ants of the myrmicina family.
Whatever pet you have at home, you will have to take responsibility for it. This is a living creature, and it will require care, even the most minimal. It is necessary to correctly calculate your strengths and capabilities: will you be able to feed the animal in accordance with its needs, walk with it or clean up its cage in a timely manner. His life is now in your hands.
Pets that can be kept even in a small room without any hassle are described in the video below.