The European cat breed compares favorably with other representatives of its species. These short-haired pets are also often called Celtic, although they are not related to the Celts in any way. The fact is that wild kittens that lived throughout Europe were domesticated, and in different countries the same cat began to have different names. The Gauls called it Celtic, and the name stuck. But since the cat is still a native of Europe, its second, and more correct name is the European Shorthair.
Animals have an incredibly beautiful appearance, which is complemented by a special grace. The Celts have a hunting nature, which they inherited from their wild ancestors. Cats are very playful and never make their owners bored. This species is famous for the fact that its representatives became the first domesticated animals of the cat family. Their ancestors easily adapted to home conditions and quickly got along with their owners. Before you get such a cat, it is recommended to carefully read the signs of the breed and the conditions of the pet.
European cat has a strong physique, can be large in size. However, even with such dimensions, the animal cannot be called clumsy. The pet is characterized by flexibility and dexterity in movement. These short-haired cats have a slightly fluffy tail. At the base, it is wide and tapers towards the tip, acquiring a rounded shape. Outwardly, the Celtic cat breed has a number of individual characteristics.
- The head is slightly oblong and cone-shaped. Cheeks stand out visibly.
- The pet’s ears are medium in size, set high, rounded to the tips. Some representatives have rather unusual brushes that do not spoil at all, but, on the contrary, give originality to the appearance of the cat.
- Expressive large eyes have a round shape. Their color is always favorably combined with the color of the coat.
- The chest of the Celt is very massive and wide, the neck is muscular and has an average length.
- Powerful paws are very well developed, perfectly fit into the proportions of the body of the animal. Broad limbs gradually taper downwards. The paws are rounded.
- The short, shining coat of the European cat is very soft and dense to the touch, has a natural density.
- The weight of representatives of this species varies from 4 to 8 kilograms. It is worth considering that males are much larger than European females.
The European cat is famous for its variety of coat colors. Each country has its own color preferences. This is due to the fact that breeders carried out large-scale work on breeding such pets, and specialists representing many countries took part in this process. By the way, the Germans give their preference to cats whose coat color has light or silver shades.
Striped pets are also in great demand. The Celtic variety of cats reads more than thirty types of coat color.
In domestic markets, Celts with the following colors are very common:
- cream with striped patterns;
If you do not plan to participate with your pet in cat shows, then the color, in general, does not matter. In choosing a cat, everyone can build on their preferences.
Cats of the following colors are not allowed to show:
It is also worth mentioning some of the external shortcomings of this breed:
- the possibility of hybridization – the Celts are very similar to other breeds of their species;
- excessive sagging of the cheeks of the animal;
- rough transition from the frontal part to the muzzle.
Representatives of the Celtic breed of cats live on average 16 years. This indicator can be increased by creating comfortable conditions for keeping the pet.
Types of colors
As mentioned earlier, Europeans have a fairly diverse range of coat colors. Felinologists did a great job of creating and improving this breed. Everyone will be able to find a color that will be to their liking. The tightly fitting coat of the animal is distinguished by its rigidity and density. Wool can have different variations: plain, patterned, and a mixture of colors. Consider some varieties of color and their beautiful combinations in more detail.
By eye color
Orange and blue eyes are usually combined with such coats:
- the black;
There is at least six combinations of white with colors such as:
- the black;
This color may match with the following shades:
- silver lilac;
- silver blue;
- silver chocolate;
- silver black.
This kind of color almost completely corresponds to the previous color scheme and has many shades:
- light blue;
- silvery with different mix of shades.
These Celts have a coloration that combines a tricolor coat color:
- blue cream tortoiseshell;
- chocolate tortoise;
- lilac tortoiseshell;
- tortoiseshell with white;
- blue tortoiseshell with white;
- chocolate tortoiseshell with white;
- lilac tortoiseshell with white.
There is also a spotted variety of wool, it has a huge number of combinations and can be presented in twenty variations.
The European cat breed is distinguished by high intelligence and an incredibly calm temperament. These animals from the first days in the house will be able to quickly adapt to new conditions and get used to their owners.
Celtic cats are very active and energetic. They love to play with their owners. It is better to provide the pet with the necessary number of toys. Many owners install a climbing house for their pets. Often a cat has an independent behavior, so it’s okay if you leave your pet at home alone, he can easily cope with loneliness.
A characteristic feature of such animals is emotionality. Few have heard that cats can blush. This is usually shown in Celts when they are nervous. Their ears and nose begin to turn red, the same happens with their paws. Interestingly, at the same time they begin to sweat a little. Cats hiss loudly, but at the same time they do not vent their aggression, so that pets will not harm their household in this state. Celts are great with children, they love to play with them and are difficult to provoke.
Cats of the European breed easily make contact not only with household members, but also with strangers. However, they are not inclined to impose themselves on someone. Therefore, if you let the cat know that you are not in the mood for games or communication, he will understand, and will calmly go about his business or switch to someone else.
Thanks to such qualities, cats of this breed never cease to delight lovers of fluffy pets.
European cats, like their ancestors, have a hunting nature, and over the years of domestication, this instinct has not disappeared anywhere, but, on the contrary, has only become aggravated. So be prepared for the fact that at night the animals will make a lot of noise, hunting for mice or insects. However, annoying meowing is unusual for the Celts, they are silent by nature. The vote can be given only in extreme cases. This usually happens during times of extreme hunger or discomfort.
Despite the fact that Europeans get along well with people, they do not get along well with other pets. Thus, it is best to leave the European cat as the only feline in the house. The uniqueness of the character of the Celtic cat breed is also expressed in the ability to quickly adapt to new conditions and people. Among households, they can choose a leader for themselves and imitate his habits and habits.
For example, a pet can adapt to your daily routine.
How to choose?
It is very difficult to carry out work on breeding thoroughbred European cats in Russia. The main reason is the small probability of giving the kitten into good hands. Tricolor cats are often treated as standard non-pedigreed animals. Often there are cases of deception when the owners try to pass off a non-purebred European as a thoroughbred animal.
When buying, you need to be careful about choosing a Celtic cat. It must meet all the standards of the International Federation. Europeans are not amenable to hybridization, otherwise the animal will not meet all the requirements of the variety. If you want to get a purebred thoroughbred European cat, then you need to familiarize yourself with all the nuances of appearance and character, and also be prepared for all the difficulties in its maintenance.
On the territory of our country there are no large catteries that would breed European smooth-haired cats. Therefore, to purchase an animal, it is better to contact private nurseries. The cost of this breed can vary from 2 to 15 thousand rubles. The price depends on how many titles were awarded to the kitten’s parents and its class.
You can also buy a kitten abroad. In such nurseries, the price will be much higher, and will average 30 thousand rubles. To this amount, you must also add all the costs of shipping a pet.
Separating a kitten from its mother is recommended no earlier than three months after birth. At this age, it is easier for kittens to adapt to new conditions of detention, as well as get used to their owners. The older the animals, the harder it is for them to get used to something new. It is best to find a breeder in advance and get to know the pet for some time before taking him home. In this case, you can get detailed advice from animal care specialists.
Consider your future pet carefully before buying. He must not only meet all the qualities of the breed, but also have good health and a strong physique. The absence of diseases can be indicated by the cleanliness of the animal, this applies to the eyes, ears and nose. You should also pay attention to the cleanliness of the anus. A healthy kitten should have a shiny coat without any flaws. Nails must be well-groomed and not broken. Another sign of a healthy kitten is energy. A pet cannot be aggressive towards others.
When buying, breeders undertake to provide the new owner with the necessary package of documents:
- the passport;
- information about the vaccinations carried out;
- contract of sale.
European domestic cats, like other representatives of this species, need individual care. This process will not take much time and will not be a burden to you. Keeping the Celts is not such a difficult task. In addition, animals have truly good health and are resistant to many infectious diseases. To keep your pet in this state, you need to follow some basic rules.
It is not difficult to make a diet, because these pets are quite unpretentious in food. The main thing is not to feed the animal with too fatty food, even despite the fact that Europeans are not prone to gaining excess weight. Meat products should form the basis of a cat’s diet.
If you want to organize a natural type of nutrition for your pet, then you need to provide it with the following products:
- boiled or raw meat, except pork and lamb;
- cereals, if desired, can be seasoned with vegetable oil;
- boiled vegetables, except potatoes;
- sea fish – no more than once a week;
- dairy products of low fat content.
Before giving your pet meat products, it is recommended to freeze them the day before. After the meat is completely defrosted, it should be scalded with boiling water, chopped before serving. An excessive amount of marine fish can adversely affect the health of a cat and provoke urolithiasis. Do not forget that the pet’s body needs vitamins, as well as mineral supplements.
To save time, many owners prefer ready-made feeds, besides, they already contain all the substances necessary for the animal’s body. It is advisable to select food according to the age of the pet. When choosing this type of product, you should also pay attention to the health of the cat. The amount of feed in one serving is calculated by the weight of the animal. Usually these data are indicated on the packaging. To provide your pet with all the necessary substances, vitamins and minerals, it is best to buy premium food.
This way of feeding the cat will save the owner time, but not money. Don’t forget about water. The liquid must be clean, preferably filtered.
You can maintain hygiene with the help of simple procedures.
- Eye examination. It is recommended to conduct an eye examination procedure every day for the presence of secretions that can form “nitrous”. You can clean your eyes with a damp cotton pad or ear stick. The liquid for cleansing is usually chosen in the form of boiled water or herbal decoction. In some cases, excessive discharge from the eyes and their redness can mean an unhealthy condition of the kitten. At the first sign, it is best to take your pet to the veterinarian.
- Ear hygiene. The hair cover does not protect the cat’s already rather large auricles, for this reason dust very often settles in this area. In addition, any contaminants can mix with the animal’s earwax. Therefore, from time to time it is necessary to pay attention to this issue. For the procedure, you will need cotton swabs pre-moistened with hydrogen peroxide. Cleaning inside the ear canal is strictly not recommended, otherwise you can harm your pet. Therefore, clean only the visible part of the dirt. Too much accumulation of earwax is a sign of the initial stage of the disease. It could be ear mites. In this case, treatment is indispensable.
- Hair care. To maintain the beautiful appearance of the animal, it is necessary to comb it at least twice a week. To do this, you will need a metal brush, it can cope with the removal of dead hairs from the pet’s body.
- Bathing. The cat does not need regular water procedures. This can damage the natural sheen of the Celt’s coat. You need to bathe your pet only in case of severe pollution, as well as before the exhibition or childbirth. Before going to the veterinary clinic, be sure to give your cat a bath day. The coat is washed with a special shampoo for cats.
- Oral care. The teeth of a European are strong and healthy, and in order to maintain their natural appearance, you need to clean them with a special toothpaste and brush for cats. To avoid this procedure, you can give the cat small bones or solid food from time to time. This is how a cat cleans its teeth. Visit your veterinarian annually to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Nail care. At least once a month, the animal’s claws should be trimmed. With frequent walking, the cat may not need this procedure at all. You need to cut the claws carefully so as not to damage the paws, otherwise the cat may catch an infection. Only the transparent tip of the plate is cut off. It is advisable to purchase a scratching post and special tools for caring for the claws for your pet.
You will learn more about European cats from the following video.