Many people mistakenly believe that only miniature dog breeds are bred in a city apartment. Of course, overall individuals require more space, but the middle category of breeds is quite suitable for keeping a person in this type of dwelling. Moreover, this species includes the largest number of varieties, they are versatile and not too demanding to care for. Despite the great variety – more than 200, it is worth starting only a few of them in the apartment.
Medium-sized dogs are the most numerous category of breeds. According to the standard the height of an adult individual should not be less than 40 and more than 60 cm. Although slight deviations in one direction or another are allowed. Body weight should not exceed 25 kg. In this category, there are breeds of various directions: family companions, hunting, service, decorative. Only a few of them are suitable for an apartment, despite their relatively small stature.
Medium-sized apartment dogs are genetically predisposed to joint pathologies, this must be taken into account.
List of popular breeds
The best medium-sized domestic pedigreed dogs are represented by a rather impressive list. Before choosing a pet, it is necessary to study not only the appearance and name, but also the characteristics and features of the breed. Not always a beautiful dog fits the temperament of the future owner. There are calmer representatives, there are more energetic ones. Below is a list of the most versatile breeds for home keeping.
This dog is perfect for living even in a small apartment. It does not need to be washed often, constantly combed out. It is enough to trim the dog about once every six months. Initially, it is better to do this with a specialist, after which it is quite possible to master the skill of self-trimming. Scotch tape will not cause much trouble in everyday life.
They are not too playful, they need a dosed attention of a person. In addition, scotch tape does not apply to empty breeds. Out of boredom, he will not gnaw on furniture and things. The usual rhythm of city life suits him perfectly, he does not get too bored alone. Of course, you will have to walk him regularly, but the dog is quite comfortable in a leisurely mode.
He treats other animals and children calmly if they are unobtrusive, but it is better not to take him into a family with kids. Middle-aged children will become good companions for him.
Jack Russell Terrier
Very energetic dog, loves to jump, and does it very high. Russell is a cheerful breed, people of the opposite type of temperament should not start it: it will not be possible to lead a measured and sedentary lifestyle, to avoid long and active walks. If Jack does not get the required amount of exercise, he will be unbearable at home.
This breed is trained well, thinks well. There is a caveat: she will not obey all family members – there is only one owner for her. Russell requires a strict upbringing, in the absence of his dog can become uncontrollable. Care procedures are standard.
It is also called chindo. This is a fairly uncommon breed. They are very hardy, strong, have amazing dexterity. Dogs have an excellent sense of smell, which is why jindos make excellent guards and hunters. The appearance is similar to Spitz, however, it belongs to the short-haired, which greatly facilitates care. This breed is suitable for those who do not tolerate specific smells from a dog: it is very clean. It’s easy to take care of her it is necessary to periodically comb out the coat with a special brush.
The temperament of the Korean is cheerful, cheerful. Great with children and family members, but wary of strangers. Watchdog qualities do not allow them to be nice to strangers on their territory. The breed lends itself well to training, you need to properly walk the dog so that it spends more energy.
King Charles Spaniel
The breed was bred as a hunting breed, but in modern dog breeding it still belongs to decorative ones. She is very beautiful in appearance, ideal for apartment maintenance. He loves comfort, coziness, affection. Caring for the spectacular coat of a dog will create some difficulties: you need to comb your pet every day, monthly water procedures with special products. In addition, you will have to buy a dog wardrobe for the off-season and frost, as the breed is thermophilic.
The character of the King Charles is quite comfortable: the dog is obedient, quick-witted, it is easy to educate it. In order for the puppy to grow and develop in accordance with the standard, you need to buy a purebred representative. Half-breeds are distinguished by negative traits in behavior: aggressiveness, anger.
Do not forget that King Charles requires attention not only to the coat, but also to his individual as a whole, he does not like to be alone.
The German Great Spitz is distinguished by an incredibly kind disposition, devotion to the family in which he lives. For an apartment, this dog fits perfectly, gets along well with children of all ages, other animals. The dog is quite energetic and very positive, cheerful. It is interesting to play with the German Spitz, he will gladly take part in all family-type events. This is an intelligent breed, so it is easy to train it. Enough patience, consistency and organization of training in a playful way. Yelling and hitting the dog is not allowed.
Grooming a Grossspitz will require some effort, most of the hassle will be delivered by the white coat. Spitz almost does not smell, sheds little. The immunity of the breed is quite strong, it is necessary to organize a balanced diet and high-quality regular walking.
White Swiss Shepherd
This variety has gained incredible popularity as a family breed. This dog is very beautiful in appearance, in addition, its balanced disposition, strong psyche captivates. Sheepdog is very calm and obedient. The coat of this representative is very spectacular, the white color does not require serious care, since the hairs are able to self-clean. Separately, it should be noted the high intelligence of the dog.
If she is properly educated, then she will become a true friend in the family, she can easily be trusted with children. The breed is easily trained. The white shepherd does not like to be alone, from boredom she can ruin things, howl.
This peculiar breed is perfect for a city apartment. Caring for her is simple, bathe her rarely, it is enough to wipe after a walk. Boxers get along peacefully with households, love children, and are very patient with pranks. The breed is very smart, its loyalty is amazing. In addition, it is easy to train, very obedient. The upbringing of a boxer can be entrusted even to a teenager, it will not require too much effort.
The boxer matures slowly, at a year and a half it is still essentially a puppy. It is necessary to develop it at this time, but it is not necessary to wait for a momentary result – the dog needs to grow up.
The Alaskan Klee Kai, or mini Husky, is a smaller version of its larger counterpart. This breed is active, outwardly it looks like northern relatives, but is kept in different conditions. This is a domestic breed, light, carefree, playful, very sociable.
Learns easily. If you organize training in the form of encouragement, you can not only achieve excellent results, but also enjoy communicating with the dog. In the apartment, the dog gets along well, communicates well with children and animals. Despite the peaceful disposition, it is able to protect the owners.
Caring for huskies is simple, they rarely bathe, comb them out weekly and regularly inspect the mucous membranes. It is very important to actively walk with your pet, because they love to frolic.
The breed was bred as a shepherd, but now it is successfully bred for keeping in an apartment. Previously, it was used only as a guard of private houses. In fact, Kelly is an excellent companion, the dog is quite tactful, cheerful. Be sure to walk the dog regularly and a lot, then she will feel great in a city apartment. If you keep the dog locked up, it will negatively affect not only the character, but also the health of the pet. The dog does not like loneliness, suitable for people leading an active lifestyle.
How to choose a puppy?
Before you get a medium-sized dog, you need to analyze the possible breeds, study their qualities, advantages, disadvantages, features of care and maintenance. Evaluate impartially your lifestyle, daily routine, degree of activity, needs. It is very important that the dog and the owner match each other in terms of temperament and other parameters. Visual sympathy should not be the main criterion in favor of choosing a particular breed. Immediately exclude from the list of possible species those that are not suitable for keeping in an apartment.
There are factors that must be taken into account when choosing a dog.
- The degree of physical activity. There are breeds of dogs that, without certain physical exertion, can get sick and wither away. Therefore, if you are not able to regularly take your pet out to nature, deal with it, provide space, then it is better to opt for another variety.
- Purpose. This is directly related to the purpose: guard dog, companion dog. Based on this, many breeds can immediately be excluded from the list.
- Housing size. The conclusion is this: the larger the area of \u200b\u200bthe apartment, the more active a friend you can afford.
- Care procedures. It’s up to you how much time you can and want to devote to caring for your pet. If it is limited, it is better to opt for smooth-haired breeds. Consider your tendency to allergies: the longer the coat, the greater the risk of a reaction.
- temperament type. If you are a phlegmatic, it is unlikely that you will be very pleased to constantly communicate with a choleric dog. Fuss, barking, activity will only annoy you.
- Walks. This applies not only to the duration of the walk, but also to the behavior of the pet. If you want a dog to walk slowly beside you, you’d better give up breeds that are vital for running and frolicking.
- Learning features. If you are not too tolerant, choose the most obedient breeds with high intelligence. Moreover, many species need early socialization, firmness, perseverance.
- Children and animals. If your family already has a child or a cat, choose a breed that is loyal to both. Not all dogs are tolerant of children’s cries, obsessive behavior, many perceive animals as enemies or game.
If you choose your dog responsibly, it will save you and your family from disappointment.
Rules of maintenance and education
There are very few general rules for keeping and raising dogs of medium size, but the most important ones are still worth mentioning.
- Balanced diet. This is the foundation of your pet’s health and development. Be sure to consult with the breeder what the puppy was fed, and continue to organize food according to this principle for the first time. Gradually transfer the baby to a more convenient option for you. Ideally, choose to feed prepared foods suitable for the breed, or study the characteristics of the dog’s natural diet.
- Regular walking. Medium sized dogs need to be walked twice a day. Depending on the breed, walks should be more or less long, active, but they should be in any case.
- Hair care. For some representatives, it is minimal: it is enough to occasionally wash and comb out, for others it is very difficult and requires effort.
- Oral care, ears, eyes. Regardless of the breed, it is necessary to constantly inspect and clean the ears and eyes of dirt. Teeth are cleaned regularly with a special brush and bones with fluoride.
- Health. When buying a puppy, study the genetic predisposition to diseases, the veterinary passport of the parents. Lead a lifestyle that will ensure their prevention. Timely carry out vaccination, antiparasitic treatments: external and internal. Take your dog to the vet every year.
- Upbringing. Regardless of the breed, from the first days of a puppy’s life in your home, teach him the rules by which he will live in adulthood. Be patient, be consistent. In no case do not shout, do not beat the dogs.
In the next video you will find interesting facts about the Jack Russell Terrier breed.