The habitat of fish and any other species of aquatic pets must be cleaned regularly to maintain their health and the formation of the correct microflora. To understand how to clean an aquarium at home, you need to have experience and listen to the recommendations of experts.
How to properly clean an aquarium?
There is no single rule for the care of a container in which fish, shrimp or turtles live. Its main goal is to preserve the natural habitat for its inhabitants and preserve the aesthetic beauty of the aquarium. Before you get acquainted with the recommendations on how often to clean the aquarium, it is important to remember the basic principles of this procedure:
- Each intervention is the creation of a nervous environment for pets. Most of the aquatic organisms consider sudden movements of the hands or a radical change in the composition of the water as aggression, to which they react with a decrease in activity or illness.
- Cleaning products are purchased exclusively in specialized stores. On the packaging of preparations you can also read how to clean the aquarium at home.
- If other manipulations with the container are planned in the near future, it is better to carry them out simultaneously. Combining the two operations will not only save time, but also eliminate the need for fish to experience unpleasant experiences twice.
How to clean an aquarium with fish?
Balanced care of your fish housing will help prevent algae growth and the growth of disease-causing bacteria. Purification conditions differ based on whether fresh or salt water is poured into the container. Given this, experienced breeders give a number of recommendations on how to wash an aquarium with fish:
- If fresh water is used, then it must be prepared in advance in an amount of 10-20% of the original volume. Dirty water can be replaced with distilled water, but it should be borne in mind that it does not contain nutrients useful to fish.
- When salty liquid is needed, the procedure is reverse to desalination. Mix water with salt for aquariums from a pet store and heat it up with a water heater. For 4 liters you need no more than 100-150 grams of salt.
How to clean a shrimp aquarium?
The container in which the shrimp live is called the shrimp tank. Its main problem is clouding of water through the appearance of a yellow tint. In this case, it is not enough to know how often you need to clean the aquarium, because it is much more important to find out the cause of duckweed and yellowness. The most common reasons for shrimp pollution are:
- accumulation of small debris under the bottom layer of soil;
- refusal to use a siphon when cleaning;
- planting overgrown plants.
How to clean a turtle aquarium?
An aquaterrarium with a waterfowl requires cleaning at least once a month, because it is sensitive to the composition of drinking water. It is not so important to decide how to clean a small aquarium or a large one, but to take into account the health of the animal. A lethargic, newly acquired, or shy tortoise should not be disturbed by washing its habitat until it has recovered. For everyone else, the following algorithm will do:
- Jigging a turtle in another container. A spacious glass bowl, carrier or bucket will do. It is required to pour water into it and add peat or stones familiar to a pet in its natural conditions.
- Substrate change. These animals like organic ground nutshell soil, which is not washed, but disposed of during cleaning.
- Gentle cleaning. The answer to the question of how to clean an aquarium at home if a turtle lives in it does not involve the use of chlorine bleach. For her, distilled white vinegar or a store-bought aquatic turtle solution is recommended.
How to wash an aquarium – basic rules
Each detail of the aquarium space requires its own means and regularity of washing. There are basic postulates of fish habitat care:
- Before settling new fish or transferring old pets to new housing, the container must be washed and at the same time inspected for chips and cracks.
- Before thinking about how to clean the aquarium with a siphon, you need to resolve the issue with the rest of the detergents. Start with natural remedies.
- If dangerous fungi settle in the aquarium, the fish are moved to quarantine, and it is washed with hot water and washing powder.
How to clean the soil in the aquarium?
Fine soil is easier to replace with a new one than to arrange a total cleaning every 2-3 months. Large coating elements are washed once a week with a siphon, and once every six months they are soaked in a bucket with the addition of water and liquid soap, after which they are boiled and washed again. If there are large plants in the aquarium, they are carefully moved to the jar so as not to harm the root system. It is better not to disturb small hydrophytes, but simply do not direct the siphon jet at them. It is not enough to be interested in how to clean the soil in an aquarium with plants – it is easier to exclude its frequent pollution. It is supported by:
- excessive lighting;
- excess feed in the container;
- lack of filtration and aeration;
- putrefactive fungi in the substrate.
How to clean the bottom of an aquarium?
When all the details are removed from the bottom, it can be easily cleaned of debris with a siphon. It is a tube that, under the pressure of a jet of water, sucks or erodes dirt. When deciding how to clean the bottom of the aquarium with a siphon, you need to choose the best suitable type of device. A mechanical siphon is more reliable, but slower, since water is drawn into it manually, each time the pear is pressed. Electric models are noisy but pump water quickly and are sometimes equipped with bins.
How to clean glass in an aquarium?
Slime accumulates on the walls of the container, especially if there are live plants in the water. Due to the fact that full-fledged cleaning is carried out relatively rarely, glass care requires an effective, but safe device. If you also take into account how to clean the built-in aquarium, which is considered the most popular, then the selection of a tool seems to be an impossible task. Surprisingly, a simple algae scraper can become a simple algae scraper, subject to proper operation:
- Use of household gloves. Before putting them on, you should make sure that they have not been in contact with hazardous chemicals.
- Cleaning with a hard household sponge. Corner elements are wiped with a sponge that has not been used previously for washing dishes.
- Removing plaque with a plastic card. There is also express advice on how to clean the aquarium at home if slime has accumulated on the glass. On it you need to energetically swipe 2-3 times with the wide edge of the old plastic card, replacing the hard scraper.
How to clean a round aquarium?
A round container is a little more difficult to care for due to the lack of corners. Its advantage can be considered a quick transplant of fish, because 2-3 individuals maximum live in them. To imagine how to properly clean a fish tank if it is round, you need to purchase some accessories: soft sponges made of foam rubber, a brush with an angled handle, a hinged scraper, a silicone scraper nozzle that prevents clouding. Use them in the following order:
- First, all decorations and equipment are removed from the aquarium. In a round container, they are mounted on suction cups, from which traces remain on the walls of the container.
- Having moistened the sponge with water and washing liquid, it is necessary to wipe with pressure those areas on which the suction cups were installed.
- The walls of the aquarium are wiped clockwise with a scraper with a silicone tip put on it.
How to clean the equipment and accessories in the aquarium?
Since the aquarium consists not only of glass surfaces, but also of additional accessories, they need special conditions for removing dirt and plaque. Decorations, filters, heaters, compressor, thermometer – each of these elements is designed for delicate handling when cleaning. Learning how to properly clean an aquarium with similar details is not as difficult as it looks from the outside:
- The plastic filter, heater and compressor are dismantled before washing and cleaned with a warm soapy solution, if necessary using a sponge or scraper to remove mucus.
- The thermometer is a high-risk item. It is impossible to know how to properly clean an aquarium at home without understanding how dangerous it is. If it contains a mercury meter, the thermometer is gently wiped with a sponge with soda or natural soap.
- Jewelry and decorative stones are easily removed from the container and soaked for several hours in a strong solution of salt and soap. Then they need to be rinsed and dried with a towel.
How to wash corals from an aquarium?
If snags and stones are covered with mucus, then corals change their color from white to gray or brown-yellow when contaminated. Particles of food and soil settle on them – the porous surface of the decoration makes it difficult to wash the accessory. Understanding that many will be interested in how to clean an aquarium at home if it contains corals, experts recommend using the following cleaning products:
- Hydrogen peroxide. With a severe degree of coral oxidation, it is collected in a spray in its pure form and washed under pressure with a jet, with an insignificant degree, it is mixed with water in a ratio of 1:4.
- White. It can be used for washing only 1-2 times during the entire life of the coral, because it makes its surface brittle.
- Soap nuts. They are used on the principle of washing powder with boiling corals in solution.
How to wash the aquarium before starting?
Questions related to the launch of a new tank arise only for novice breeders. They buy everything at once – fish, plants, soil, so they strive to fill it with water as soon as possible. This must not be done before the initial processing. To understand how to wash a new aquarium, tips will help:
- Refusal to use chemicals. Inexperienced owners sometimes try to wash it with dish gels or ceramics.
- Natural or safe detergents. Soap nuts, soda or dry mustard are optimal. They do not leave a film and are easily washed off with both cool and warm water.
- Accounting for the design of the aquarium. If it is assembled on a frame, water settling will be required. The container is filled completely for 2-3 days for the purpose of cleaning and checking for leaks.
How often to clean the aquarium?
The regularity of removing debris and mucus from the walls of the container depends on its volume, the number of residents and other factors. Excessive diligence here can play a cruel joke, because each relocation to another container and the use of new detergents is an extra stress for aquatic inhabitants. Before you think about how often you need to wash the aquarium, you need to consider the following aspects:
- The presence in the aquarium of the inhabitants-“cleaners”. Ancistrus catfish and some types of snails act as a natural filter for food debris and waste products of other pets, doubling the life of a clean container.
- Size of fish habitat. A large aquarium of 200-300 liters is subject to general cleaning every 1-1.5 years, and a quick one every 7-10 days. New water is gradually added to it, partially replacing it. A container of 50-100 liters is cleaned every six months, with a siphon – once every 2 months. Understanding how to clean a small aquarium at home will help the presence or absence of plants in it. If it is devoid of vegetation, it is washed twice as rarely – once every two weeks.
- Soil quality. A substrate with the addition of fine gravel or sand makes the water cloudy, so it must be periodically sieved during washing.