The defeat of the auricle by ticks is considered a common disease of dogs and cats. Refuting this, seemingly harmless ear mites in rabbits are no less common and can have serious consequences for the fragile body of a pet, weakening it and provoking the development of complications.
What does ear mites look like in rabbits?
The long ears of a rabbit have a lot of nerve endings and blood vessels, so any disease in them can increase the risk of injury to this organ. Such a structure attracts parasites, and at the same time – ticks. In places where they accumulate, crusts of a dark brown or blood-red color are formed – the main signal of the appearance of an ear mite in rabbits. A further change in the appearance of the ears occurs as follows:
- Bleeding wounds appear in place of the crusts, which periodically fall off and remain in the cage or on the floor of the apartment.
- As the disease progresses, such a sign of an ear mite in rabbits as a thickening of the auricle in the affected areas becomes noticeable. Fibrous tissue with nodules and edema accumulates under the ulcers.
- At an advanced stage, other diseases join the problem – purulent otitis media or meningitis.
What causes ear mites in rabbits?
The root cause of parasitic damage is a weakened immune system. It means a decrease in the animal’s ability to resist infection. Such a rabbit disease as an ear mite is transmitted only by methods from the list presented:
- direct contact of the rabbit with another infected pet;
- tick transmission by fleas;
- sharing a cage, couch or bowl.
Signs of ear mites in rabbits
The causative agent of the ear mite (psoroptosis, as veterinarians call it) is an oval yellow mite. Penetrating into the circulatory system, he seeks to get into the middle ear in order to gain a foothold on a warmer area of the skin. Home treatment for ear mites in rabbits starts with an accurate diagnosis. Signs of the disease, noticeable even to an inexperienced owner, look like this:
- constant anxiety of the animal and lack of sleep;
- scabs from ticks in the cage;
- constant attempts to scratch the ears due to severe itching;
- secretion of ichor from wounds.
How to treat ear mites in rabbits?
The selection of a medication depends on the stage at which the problem was discovered. Treatment of ear mites in rabbits will be quick and gentle if it is found at the stage of the incubation period in the first 5 days after infection. An integrated approach and constant supervision by a veterinarian is required when the lining of the brain is affected and meningitis begins. In any case, the basic procedure for removing a tick is the treatment of the auricle with liquids based on antiseptics, antibiotics or hormones.
Ear mites in rabbits
The fight against infection should not start with serious drugs with many active ingredients. Traditionally, Ivermin and Selamectin give a good result, which are universally suitable for the treatment of ear mite disease in both rabbits and domestic cats or dogs. In 80% of cases, the cure occurs after the first application. No less effective drugs can support the chosen therapy:
- aerosols “Ciodrin”, “Psoroptol”, “Dikrezil”;
- emulsion “Valekson”;
- organophosphorus acaricides “Amidel-gel” and “Neocidol”.
Ear mite in a rabbit – treatment with folk remedies
For those who do not want to use medication to remove the tick, there is another way to cure it. Folk remedies for the treatment of ear mites in rabbits are effective in the early stages of damage to the shell and ear canal. These include:
- Medicinal herbal solutions. A decoction of chamomile, eucalyptus or lemon verbena should be drawn into a syringe without a needle and irrigate the ear before lubrication.
- Turpentine. It is mixed with vegetable or cosmetic oil, and then soaked with a warm mixture of crusts and bleeding wounds.
- Camphor oil. Ear mites in rabbits are treated with 100% camphor oil, which does not need to be diluted. Veterinarians recommend applying it at least 3-4 times daily.
How to treat rabbit cells after ear mites?
When all symptoms of the disease disappear, the animal can return to normal life. So that the prevention of the disease is not useless, it is necessary to use drugs such as:
- Tea tree oil. This ether kills more than 99% of mites and harmful bacteria known to science. For wet cleaning, add 2-3 drops to 2 cups of warm water just before washing.
- Sanitary napkins. Manufacturers of wet wipes for animals do not position their product as a cure for ear mites in rabbits, but they promise complete sanitary care without soap and other aggressive detergents.
- Dermatosol. The lotion in the spray is suitable for processing, it is moderately toxic for pets, so it is left for 2-3 hours on the surface of the cage and bed and washed off with water.
Prevention of ear mites in rabbits
Such a complex disease is easier to prevent than to treat pets that quickly become infected from each other. The main preventive measure can be considered the timely detection of the disease in one of the rabbit population in the household or a family of pets living in an apartment. Ear mites in rabbits will have a hard time spreading if:
- All new cubs or adults will be quarantined. After buying a rabbit, you can’t immediately put it in a cage with the rest of the livestock. He should spend 3-4 days in a separate cage under close supervision.
- If the general health deteriorates, each rabbit should also be placed in quarantine.
- Animals will receive fortified food and undergo regular check-ups at the veterinarian.