Burmese cats attract a lot of attention because they look insanely attractive. Their appearance is exotic, and their behavior is deliberate. These lovely cats cannot imagine life without their owner and are trying with all their might to attract his attention. Today we will get to know these charming and unusual pets better.
In order to appreciate all the advantages of the mustachioed representatives of this world-famous breed, you first need to analyze the history of its origin. These beautiful creatures with delicate silky fur have been popular for over a millennium. The first mention of them can be traced back in those manuscripts that were written in the distant XII century in Thailand and Burma.
Mentions of Burmese cats with a more detailed and detailed description can be found in the Bangkok Historical Museum. In addition, chocolate-colored “silk” ladies can be seen in the images available in ancient literature found in the Siamese capital.
Even in many temples images of these beautiful animals are used.
Burmese cats got the name of their breed in memory of their homeland – Burma – a beautiful and mysterious country of the East. In ancient Burma, cats of this breed were praised and revered. They were perceived in the same way as the gods. Burmese cats were considered sacred and treated accordingly.
Each of the priests had such a beautiful and intelligent animal. The relationship between the owner and his pet spoke of how close the latter was to the gods. As in ancient Egypt, cats were considered true guides to the world of the dead. They were also useful to the living, as they brought good luck and promised wealth.
Fluffy “gods” and “goddesses” were insanely expensive. Only people from the nobility and wealthy aristocrats could afford such “magic” pets. Several Burmese cats lived at the court of the ancient rulers and were considered their faithful talismans, protecting their wealth and well-being. Such “holy” pets were treated very carefully and valued no less than the treasury or their own happiness.
Representatives of the Burmese breed were first imported to Europe only in the 19th century. For a long time they were called “black Siamese”. Everything changed only by 1930. At that time, Dr. Joseph Thomson brought with him to America a cute cat with an interesting and memorable nickname – Wong Mau.
Thompson was not a professional breeder, but he really wanted to cross his pet with representatives of the Siamese breed. For a long 8 years, Joseph chose from the offspring of kittens that have a darker color. Thus, he tried to achieve the perfect chocolate shade. By 1938, very beautiful and spectacular cats of a color close to bitter chocolate made a splash at a special felinological exhibition. A photo with mustachioed “beauties” got into the newspapers, after which their popularity and fame skyrocketed.
It was after this that the Burmese breed was officially registered.
In 1948, representatives of the Burmese breed in Europe gave a slightly modified offspring, the color of which acquired a new reddish tint. In addition, professional breeders have worked to ensure that cats have a more graceful and neat figure, similar to real goddesses. True, such changes were not received with the desired enthusiasm and joy. After long ups and downs, breeders from the USA and Europe have not found a common language in matters of the ideal appearance of Burmese cats.
For this reason, even today, not one, but two standards of the described breed are distinguished.
- American. Cats belonging to this type have a denser and squat complexion. The shape of their body is rounded.
- European. Representatives of this standard have a more accurate and elegant figure. Their muzzle is slightly pointed, which makes the pets look a little sly and crafty. It is this expression that attracts many people.
Burmese cats are very popular today. First of all, all people at first sight fall in love with their bright appearance, which cannot be ignored. It has already been mentioned above that there are two standards for these representatives of the breed, but, despite this, both of them have common external characteristics, which we will analyze below.
- Representatives of the Burmese breed are medium-sized individuals. They have a fairly dense muscle mass, but at the same time their torso is very well coordinated and harmonious. The back of these cats is straight. It smoothly passes into a long and flexible neck, as well as a wide chest. As for the paws, on the contrary, they usually grow thin and long. Their size corresponds to the dimensional parameters of the body, due to which cats and cats of the Burmese breed look elegant. Their every movement is filled with grace and aristocracy.
- Head in Burmese animals it is not too large. It is usually wide at the cheekbones, but narrows very neatly towards the nose. Their muzzle is flattened, which makes the Burmese look similar to its relative, the Siamese cat.
- Ears representatives of the described Asian breed grow large. They are widely spaced on top and have slightly rounded tips, giving the animals a more pretty appearance.
- Eyes in Burmese cats are widely spaced. They differ in large size and unusual structure. The lower line of the eyes is gently rounded, and the upper line is seen almost perfectly straight, slightly leaning towards the nose. This feature makes the cat’s look more mysterious, cunning and gloomy.
- Iris color These cats are completely different. In most cases, it changes from amber (more often this eye color belongs to animals with dark fur) to green-yellow (a similar color of the iris is typical for representatives of a light suit). Over the years, the color of the iris may change. That is why professional breeders pay more attention to the very shape of the eyes and the gap between them. Color is rarely suitable as an indicator.
- The Burmese cat can definitely be called a unique animal. Having compact dimensions, it may not have the smallest weight – it can be from 5 to 6 kg for females and up to 9 kg for males.
- It is worth taking a charming Burmese cat in your arms, as you immediately recall its distant eastern past and “divine” status: in terms of severity, it is somewhat similar to a stone statue, but at the same time very soft and affectionate. The feeling of the weight of her body at this moment does not disappear anywhere. Because of this distinctive feature of the representatives of this breed, many breeders call the “brick wrapped in silk.”
- silk wool – This is one of the most striking distinguishing features of Burmese cats. These animals have no undercoat. Wool adjoins the body as close as possible, but at the same time it remains so tender and soft that it can really be confused with natural silk to the touch. The short-haired beauty has one interesting property – her hairs change their color under conditions of temperature changes. When it is warm outside, the Burmese becomes lighter, and when it is cold, it becomes darker and more saturated.
- At the very roots, each hair has a natural dark color. At the ends, it turns out to be lighter. If you look closely at such spectacular color transitions, it immediately becomes clear why Burmese cats are considered the most beautiful in the world.
Many fans of the beautiful representatives of the Burmese breed believe that such cats are an illustration of the ideals of grace and grace. Looking at the luxurious Asian beauties, one can understand the inhabitants of Burma, who considered them deities.
In most cases, at first glance, Burmese cats seem to many people to be too serious and even a little unfriendly, but this impression quickly changes as soon as the animal begins to move and show its true character. More active, funny and mischievous pets are hard to find. Burmese cats and cats up to old age retain a playful disposition.
These beautiful pets are big fans of active and outdoor games. Since they are distinguished by dexterity and long powerful legs, the whole house can literally become their object for games and chases. Cats love to “jump” on cabinets, they can easily rush along the carpet hanging on the wall, and even climb up the curtain to the very ceiling.
If a playful Burmese cat suddenly stops its energetic movements, then it is better for the owner to be vigilant and pay attention to her – perhaps the mustachioed friend made a short pause to look around and find another interesting object in the room for games.
Burmese cats and cats are also distinguished by their bold character. They rarely get scared of public transport. Animals from the street and strangers are also not able to unbalance or scare them.
But this does not mean that these pets are fearless to the point of madness – they are smart enough and are careful not to get into trouble once again.
Such cats cannot live without due attention from a person. They are very attached to their owner and do not like to be alone for a long time – they always need company. Left alone in the house, Burmese cats most often curl up into a ball and just go to bed. When the owner is nearby, these energetic beauties will do everything in their power to only attract as much attention as possible. As a rule, they succeed.
It’s not enough for Asian shorthair beauties to lie next to their beloved owner without action – they are very fond of being stroked, demonstrating that they have not been forgotten. You can even talk to these pets – they also really like it. If suddenly the owner turned his attention to a conversation with someone else, then the animal may suddenly remind himself of himself with a loud purr or bury his cold nose in the palm of a person.
This behavior of Burmese cats often captivates people, because usually animals of this species calmly do without active attention from the owners and live as if on their own.
Some people believe that the main disadvantages of the character of Burmese cats are that they are used to always getting their way. These pets have their own opinion on everything. The Burmese cat itself will decide where it will sleep, what things to play with and what commands to obey. When these pets try to attract the attention of their owners, they behave especially persistently – you need to be prepared for this if you are going to get such Asian beauties.
These cats usually do not show excessive aggression. They behave kindly. Sometimes the overly gentle behavior of Burmese cats becomes a real weakness. The Burma will not let out claws even at such moments when she is hurt or offended. On the one hand, this quality is great if the animal lives in a family with young children: mothers and fathers may not be afraid that the pet will scratch the child. But on the other hand, in such conditions, the cat itself can suffer if parents do not teach their children the correct and affectionate behavior towards pets.
These pets are trainable. They are easy to learn, especially if it piques their interest.
In addition, the Burmese can seamlessly get along in the same area with other pets. She definitely will not provoke conflict situations and fights.
Many people who are planning to get a gentle and beautiful Burmese cat are interested in how long they usually live. The normal life expectancy of these Asian beauties is between 15 and 18 years. But it must be borne in mind that a lot depends on the health of the animal and proper care for it. In some cases, the pet may live longer.
The coat color of Burmese cats can vary. Thanks to gentle color tints, the appearance of these pets attracts even more attention. Let us analyze in detail what color options for such cats exist.
- The most famous color of the Burmese cat is sable. Animals related to this suit have a uniform one-color color. It can range from dark brown to a “sweet” shade of milk chocolate.
- The second most popular and widespread is the chocolate color.. The main distinguishing feature of this coat color of cats is that it contrasts with the dark “mask” that is present on the pet’s muzzle.
- There is also the original blue color of the Burmese cat. The shade of wool with this color is more like gray and is very light. Individuals with a similar coloration usually cost a little less than representatives of a breed of other colors.
This is due to the fact that blue coloration is widespread in cats and cats of many other known breeds.
- The lilac color of cats is especially highly valued among fans of the breed. There is no other breed whose representatives have such a delicate and uniform color. Only luxurious Burmese beauties can boast of this color.
By European standards, Burmese can have other interesting coat colors.
- A truly unique coat of a Burmese cat is made by an unobtrusive red or red tint.
- Creamy “notes”, which arose from clarified red scales, conquer many connoisseurs of the described glorious breed.
- There are also several varieties of spectacular and unusual tortoiseshell color. It combines a combination of black and red colors in different ratios.
How to choose a kitten?
A kitten of this Asian breed must be chosen very carefully and carefully. Handle it responsibly. The following basic guidelines should be followed.
- Do not buy too small kittens. It is advisable to wait a bit until the kids grow up and they are 3-4 months old. By this time, the kittens will become more independent and easier to get used to the new conditions of detention.
- When choosing a Burmese kitten, one should take into account the fact that they grow a little slower than the “youngsters” belonging to other breeds. For this reason, Burmese kittens will look smaller.
- The baby should not be too lethargic and painful in appearance.
- It is possible that a clear discharge will come out of the kitten’s eyes. You should not be afraid of them – this liquid is designed to act as a cleansing component of the baby’s eyes. If the discharge has become hard, they will need to be removed very carefully. You should act as carefully as possible and without sudden movements, so as not to harm the kitten. If you notice a yellowish or whitish discharge from a small pet, then it is better to consult a veterinarian.
- If you are looking for a Burmese of a specific color you like, then it is better to purchase an adult, and not a small kitten. This is explained by the fact that the shade of these animals reaches its “full state” only at the moment when the animal is about a year old.
- It is advisable to contact prestigious nurseries with a good reputation for the purchase of such a thoroughbred beauty. In addition, it is necessary to take into account the cost of kittens. In Russia, the average price for representatives of this breed usually ranges from $400 to $500.
If you take into account all the above criteria when choosing a Burmese kitten, then you will not go wrong with the purchase. The main thing is to take into account all the features of the behavior of these animals and apply for their purchase to experienced breeders or luxury nurseries.
Conditions of detention and rules of care
Cats belonging to the Burmese breed need proper and complete care. Despite the fact that the health of these pets is considered quite strong (genetic diseases are unfamiliar to these animals), this does not mean that their maintenance can be left to chance.
Burmese can live their whole lives in peace and only need to contact the services of veterinarians for vaccinations. But these pets often suffer from certain diseases that need to be treated in a timely manner, without wasting time in vain. For example, Burmese kittens in some cases suffer from shortness of breath: this problem occurs due to a short nose.
With regard to diseases associated with the oral cavity (especially gingivitis), they occur frequently. To resolve them, veterinarians recommend feeding your pet high-quality, luxury dry food in granules.
It will clean the cat’s teeth from plaque and tartar. It is advisable to show your pet to the dentist every 6 months.
We must not forget that Burmese cats are afraid of drafts. Care must be taken to ensure that they are not exposed to their negative effects. These animals, like all representatives of Asian breeds, do not tolerate low temperatures in the best way. They are much more comfortable when warm.
In other matters, Burmese cats are unpretentious. Their content will not require extra effort from the owners. Constant attention should be paid only to the fur of these beauties. At least a couple of times a week, it is necessary to comb out the fur of these animals in order to remove excess hairs and remove fat from the hairline. This can be done not only with the help of a classic comb – for this, high-quality suede is more suitable, which will need to be carefully wiped over the cat’s hair. Some owners prefer to use such a convenient device as a rubber brush.
If the beautiful Burmese does not go out for a walk, then there is no need for regular bathing. But if from time to time you take your pet for a walk, then it will be necessary to accustom it to regular water procedures. During such activities, it is very important to ensure that water or shampoo does not get into the cat’s ears. Bathe these animals allowed only with the use of special tools.
To dry the animal, you should use a dry towel. It is advisable not to use a hair dryer.
Trim your pedigree pet’s nails periodically. Even if you have several scratching posts at once, you still need to constantly monitor the condition of Burmese nails. Once a month, trim the claws by 1-2 mm, no more.
It is advisable to brush the teeth of a Burmese kitten once a week. For these procedures, you need to stock up on a special toothpaste and brush. If you do not neglect these hygiene measures, then the baby will be protected from the formation of tartar and other similar problems. Every day, carefully inspect the condition of the ears and eyes of animals. If you notice that sulfur or a crust has appeared, then you should use special drops and bury them in the eyes and ears of your pet.
It can be difficult to tame an adult cat so that she does not resist such procedures, but it is impossible to neglect such therapeutic actions. If inflammation or redness is noticeable, then you need to contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.
What to feed?
If you are planning to get a luxurious Burmese cat, then you should know what to feed her and what is undesirable.
- Proper nutrition is the key to the health and activity of the pet. A small kitten will need to be fed at least 4 times a day. As for an adult cat or cat, they can be transferred to a two-time diet. During the period of bearing kittens, the cat needs to provide enhanced feeding. During this difficult time, the animal can be returned to 4 meals a day.
- Burmese food must be selected exclusively from premium or super-premium categories. Always follow the dosage very carefully, which is usually indicated on the package. In the case of feeding with natural food, preference should be given to protein products – high-quality and fresh fish, meat and dairy products. Be sure to diversify the Burmese menu with egg yolks, boiled liver, cereals and vegetables. Keep in mind that natural nutrition should always be accompanied by vitamin and mineral supplements.
It is extremely important to know what foods these animals should not be given in any case. Never give Burmese spices, salty and fatty treats. You should not feed these pets with fried and sweet foods – they can cause serious harm to the health of animals.
Providing this luxurious thoroughbred animal with proper nutrition is not difficult, however, experts recommend that you initially consult with the breeder in order to know exactly what is best to feed a kitten or an adult cat. It will be necessary to decide what kind of food you choose for your pet: natural or industrial.
Burmese cats look very impressive and expensive. They rarely fit names like the usual Murka, Barsik or Murzik. When choosing a nickname for such pets, you should take a closer look at their behavior and character. Often the right options come to mind.
A female Burmese cat can be called like this:
If you brought not a female, but a male Burmese breed, then you can choose a suitable nickname for him from the following options:
Useful tips and tricks
If you are determined to get a beautiful Burmese cat or cat, then you should listen to some useful advice and recommendations from experienced breeders and veterinarians.
- Flat – this is a real training ground for such pets. You will have to learn to walk as carefully as possible and always look under your feet. Be attentive.
- Do not slam windows and doors. A hooligan cat may well at the last moment unexpectedly poke its curious nose into the slot.
- These charming animals can be safely turned on, even if you have never dealt with them before. Burma does not require special and too complicated care – anyone can handle it.
- It must be remembered that the Burmese is an animal that completely trusts a person. If you are visited by guests, be sure to monitor the safety of your pet. Do not forget that Burmese cats will not show aggression to the last. Even if she gets bored for a long time, she will still endure and not resist.
- If you have a Burmese in your house, then you can forget about personal space. It doesn’t matter what your mood is, whether you are tired or still have energy – if you come home after a long absence, the Burmese cat will need to take the time to caress and talk to her.
- If there are children in the house, they definitely need to be explained that a cat is not a toy at all, but a living being. Demonstrate to them how to properly hold the pet in their arms so as not to cause pain. It would be useful to show how to stroke the cat so as not to press too hard.
- Burmese have a very bad attitude towards loneliness and it is difficult to endure it. If you are forced to leave home often enough, then you can get another cat so that your pet has a company to play when you are not.
- If you have a small thoroughbred kitten, then you should not forget about its timely vaccination. If you bought a baby in a special prestigious nursery, then all vaccinations, as a rule, will already be done earlier. Be sure to check your pet’s veterinary record. Re-vaccination is permissible to do no more than once a year.
- If you get such a cat or a cat not for breeding, then it is better to immediately take care of the pet’s sterilization. Be sure to check with your veterinarian beforehand. The specialist will tell you at what age it is better to do this.
- Burmese is a very nimble, fast and hooligan cat who loves to play. That is why you will need to hide all the things dear to your heart and fragile things in advance so that the kitten does not accidentally knock over and break them.
- Cats of this well-known breed are distinguished by unwavering devotion to their owners. Such a pet will not be able to be given into good hands if it suddenly seems to you that you cannot take care of it properly or it will weigh you down.
It is better to think in advance about whether you can give this animal attention in the proper amount, whether you have time to play with it. If not, then it is better not to “torture” the Burmese and choose a cat of some other breed.
Despite the high cost, Burmese cats remain very popular and in demand. They won the hearts of many lovers of these pets. There are many positive reviews about Burmese. Here is what pleases the owners of these Asian beauties the most:
- many people call them “plush toys” for their very soft and delicate wool;
- the wonderful “natural upbringing” of the Burmese makes people happy;
- the intelligent behavior of these cats conquers and surprises many breeders;
- according to the owners, Burmese cats are easily trained and grasp new information on the fly;
- rarely get sick;
- are very clean;
- calm on the street and in the car;
- very affectionate;
- love the owner and always wait for him when he is not at home;
- according to many owners, these cats easily get along with other animals in the same territory, do not provoke fights and conflicts, behave peacefully;
- these cats shed little, so their hair does not fly all over the apartment;
- Burmese cats are funny and love to play – watching them is a pleasure.
This is not all the advantages that the owners found in Burmese cats and cats. Much depends on the specific nature and behavior of individual individuals. The main advantages that conquer breeders are the pretty appearance of these pets and their love for affection.
As for the shortcomings, their owners are very rare in Burmese. The main disadvantage that confuses many people is the high cost of Asian beauties. This is especially true for individuals of exclusive and top colors. It seems to some owners that a lot of hair remains from the Burmese, but this problem is extremely rare, since such animals do not have an undercoat, and their hair itself is naturally very short – there is usually no extra trouble with it, especially if you comb it regularly.
You will learn more about the Burmese cat from the following video.