Often, Corella parrot diseases arise due to the carelessness of the owners – mistakes in feeding the bird, a deficiency of vitamins and minerals in food, low feathered activity, and keeping it in a draft. Many ailments are caused by infection with viruses, parasites, infections. There are troubles when keeping birds and due to their injuries.
Corella parrot diseases at home
In general, cockatiels get sick a little, but if this happens, it is important to notice something was wrong in time and start treatment. When the behavior or appearance of a bird causes concern, it should be examined and monitored for breathing, appetite, activity. The following signs signal Corell’s disease:
- sluggish, rapid breathing, prolonged sleep;
- cockatiel sits indifferent, ruffled, with closed eyelids, does not respond to external stimuli;
- weakness – the feathered one falls from the perch, beats against objects, shakes his head;
- the parrot loses its appetite, it suffers from diarrhea;
- on examination, fragility or damage to the plumage was found;
- outgrowths, abscesses were revealed on the beak, discharges are observed;
- eyes watery, reddened, swollen, festering.
Corella has diarrhea
Loose stools are one of the most common parrot ailments. The reasons for its appearance: poor-quality feeding, the penetration of microbes into the gastrointestinal tract. Corella diarrhea – how to treat:
- the bird needs an abundance of drink – water should be in the drinker all the time;
- Crush a tablet of activated charcoal or phthalazole and add it to food, smectite, enterosgel can be mixed into the drinker;
- For now, it is necessary to exclude fruits and greens from the menu, feed the bird with cereals, mainly rice.
constipation in corella
Due to the entry of internal parasites into the digestive area or the eating of low-grade food by the cockatiel, the disease and symptoms of constipation progress in obese birds. At the same time, the bird defecates with considerable effort, crouching and shaking its tail. The treatment of this disease consists in introducing 2-3 drops of vegetable oil into the anus with a pipette and taking 3-4 drops of castor oil through the beak.
Avitaminosis in a parrot
An unbalanced and monotonous diet of a parrot leads to a decrease in the body’s defenses, to vitamin deficiency disease in cockatiels, and its symptoms are clearly visible:
- inflammation, swelling of the eyelids, muscle cramps;
- the plumage is disheveled, the sternum is bent, pets lose their appetite;
- Corella weakens, does not fly, often puts its head on the bottom of the cage.
The disease leads to rickets, beak fragility, skin abscess, respiratory infection, feather growth, digestive and reproductive failure. The treatment of vitamin deficiency disease in Corella parrots is an urgent balancing of nutrition. Birds should be given a lot of greens, fruits, and vitamin preparations should be included in the diet. It is good to place the bark of deciduous trees, rowan berries, sprouted cereal grains in cells. It is recommended to drip fish oil into the feed, put the house in the sun for 40-60 minutes a day. The menu should include cottage cheese, eggs, in summer – blackcurrant juice.
Moulting in cockatiels
Normal molting in parrots takes place 1-2 times a year and lasts 3-4 weeks. After it, there should not be bare shreds on the skin. If the change of feathers is delayed, this indicates that it is necessary to enrich the portion of the parrot with vitamins and minerals. What to give Corella when shedding:
- bone meal;
- a piece of chalk;
- ground eggshell;
- once a day – a crushed tablet of calcium gluconate;
- vitaminized complexes;
- vegetables, fruits, berries, branches of fruit trees;
- cottage cheese.
Vitamins will help restore the pet’s plumage. Sprinkling corella with chamomile decoction helps relieve skin irritation. A shock molt happens in a bird from stressful situations, a change of scenery, fright – feathers fall out in bunches, body temperature is lowered. In order for the cockatiel to calm down, it must be taken to a quiet place, closed and not disturbed for several hours. To prevent colds, provide heating with a lamp.
The bird can get sick from stale food or liquid. Signs of parrot poisoning – he refuses to eat, sits ruffled, diarrhea appears. The pet is rapidly losing weight, therapy should be carried out sooner, otherwise the cockatiel may die. The bird should be fed 2 tablets of activated charcoal and 1 tsp of soda, dissolving them in a slightly pink solution of magnesium chloride.
The therapeutic composition is given at the rate of 1 ml per 150 grams of weight, instilled into the beak from a pipette. For a general strengthening of the body, you can pour strong tea into your mouth with a syringe. To cleanse the pet of poisonous substances, give 3-4 drops of a slimy decoction of flaxseed. If the feathered body temperature is lowered, the bird can be warmed under an infrared lamp, covering the cage with cloth.
Corell eye disease
Eye diseases in cockatiels often occur. The reason is hidden in a cold, infection, inflammation, which can even lead to feathered blindness. It is important to pay attention in time to the signs of cockatiel disease: the eyes become cloudy, dim, do not shine, pus, crusts form, the bird squints and closes its eyes. The most common eye diseases:
- Inflammation. The reason may be the ingress of feathers, dust, acrid smoke (tobacco, ammonia, hydrogen sulfide). Inflamed eyes are treated with: albucid diluted 1:3 with water; eye drops with vitamin A; ophthalmoseptonex; furatsilina solution (1 tablet per glass of water). Medicines are instilled into the outer corner of the eyelid, a drop of tetracycline eye ointment is also placed there.
- Conjunctivitis. The disease is associated with drafts, hypothermia, or is the result of an infection. The eye first turns red, watery, then swelling appears. You can relieve inflammation by warming with an infrared lamp, the cockatiel must be separated from other pets and contact an ornithologist.
- Foreign body. When it gets into the eye, the eyelid should be washed with a solution of boric acid (1 tsp per 1 tbsp of water), or furacilin (1 tablet per 1 tbsp of water). If bleeding is observed, the wound should be wiped with hydrogen peroxide carefully so that it does not get on the cornea.
Diseases of the beak in cockatiels
Bird bone tissue often signals problems in the pet’s body. Corella beak damage – possible diseases and treatment:
- Excessive growth of the beak and claws, deformation, growths. You need to see a doctor, he will remove excess tissue. For prevention, it is advisable to put tree branches in a cage so that the bird grinds its beak.
- Change of structure, softening. Treatment is reduced to the elimination of nutritional deficiencies, it must be enriched with multivitamins.
The appearance of harmful insects can adversely affect the well-being of the pet. If such a fact is discovered, urgent action must be taken. Corella parrot – parasitic diseases and treatment:
- Scabies mite. Settled on the paws, the skin turns red, inflamed, feathers fall out. Corella is removed from the cage, the house is disinfected. The paws are moistened with glycerin, treated with anti-scabies or turpentine ointment, the feathers are soaked with a decoction of tobacco. The procedure is carried out first several times a day, then – weekly until healing.
- Downy eaters. If they are present, the feathers of the feathered are damaged by holes. The cage must be decontaminated, the bird should be treated with Frontline or Otodectin, dropping on the head from a syringe 1 time. It will spread over the skin and the parasites will die. After 5 days, repeat the treatment.
- Red ticks. They live on the surface of the skin, the parrot loses blood, a breakdown occurs. The fight is carried out with the help of acaricides and insecticides, feverfew is rubbed into the skin, the house is disinfected.
parrot feather loss
Many diseases of cockatiels can cause feather loss:
- molt – natural or shock, feathers fall in bunches;
- avitaminosis. Occurs due to uniform food;
- fungus and tick. In addition to baldness, the bird develops sores, peeling, scabs, the pet itself plucks feathers;
- french line. A formidable form of such a cockatiel disease as baldness – feathers on the wings and tail fall off, the bird will not be able to fly. Doctors can’t treat him yet.
When feathers fall out, Corella needs to adjust the diet – add apples, carrots, and multivitamins to food. The cage needs to be cleaned, the freshness and humidity of the air should be normalized, and the parrot should be given peace. If the feathers fall off without self-plucking, then under such conditions, the disease will recede in 1-2 weeks. If fungi and mites are detected, it is better to entrust the treatment to the doctor.
Goiter in cockatiel
Poisoning, catarrhal diseases of cockatiels and their symptoms are similar to inflammation of the goiter, so the owner may not notice it – the bird sits ruffled, loses its appetite, burps food. The main alarming sign is an increase in the goiter and filling it with a mucous mass, the pet begins to have diarrhea, there are grains wrapped in a white substance in the emetic substrate. Rotting occurs due to poor quality, too cold or hot food, dirty water, fungi. With the primary manifestations of the disease, the cockatiel should be taken to an ornithologist, he will develop a therapy.