Fans of a fairy tale about a wish-fulfilling sea dweller dreamed of having her at home in an aquarium. As a result, breeding goldfish at home has become common. This is due to the beauty of aquarium inhabitants that can decorate any interior.
Goldfish – types
There are a large number of species that belong to goldfish. Consider the most popular:
- Common goldfish. The breed is closer to the natural form than others. The long body has compressed sides. If the conditions for breeding goldfish are met, then individuals can reach a length of 30-45 cm.
- Butterfly jikin. The species was obtained as a result of long-term selection. It is distinguished by the presence of a forked tail fin. She also has bulging eyes. The body length reaches about 20 cm.
- Lionhead. In such fish, the body is short, so its length is not more than 15 cm, and the head is covered with velvety growths, so it is compared with a lion or a raspberry. The features also include the absence of a dorsal fin.
- Veiltail. Breeding goldfish at home has gained new momentum with the advent of this beautiful species. A distinctive feature is a long and magnificent tail, similar to a ribbon. The body length can reach up to 20 cm.
- Ryukin. The body resembles a ball, but due to the curved spine, the back is convex. Its length does not exceed 20 cm, and the fin on the back is in a strictly vertical position.
- Bubble-eye. In such fish, the egg-shaped body has a smooth transition from the head to the back. The length of an individual can be 15-18 cm. The individuals do not have a dorsal fin, and near the eyes there are blisters filled with liquid, the size of which can reach 25% of the total body size.
- Telescope. The species was bred artificially, breeding such goldfish at home is not difficult. Their body is short with an egg-like shape, and their fins are elongated. It can be distinguished from other varieties by its large eyes, which can reach 5 cm in diameter.
Conditions for keeping goldfish in an aquarium
In order for the fish to develop well and not get sick, it is important to create suitable conditions for them. In addition to a properly selected aquarium, organization of lighting and aeration, the following recommendations should be taken into account:
- The conditions for keeping a goldfish involve the use of soil with rounded particles. Preference should be given to the average fraction of 6-9 mm. The soil must be neutral so that it does not change the acidity of the water. Many aquarists use granite or quartz gravel. The soil layer should be 4-7 cm.
- As a decoration for breeding goldfish at home, you can use different snags, rounded stones and artificial decor. The selected items must be safe.
- For plants, choose hardy species such as anubias and ferns. Tasteless algae, for example, krinums or giant vallisneria, are also suitable. To prevent fish from digging up plants, protect them with large pebbles. When using live algae, do not forget to apply liquid fertilizers. Another option for decorations is artificial plants.
Minimum aquarium size for a goldfish
It is important to understand that the size of aquarium inhabitants directly depends on the volume of the selected vessel and the number of pets. Breeding goldfish in an aquarium at home requires the purchase of a large capacity, also due to the fact that they emit harmful waste into the water, the concentration of which in large volumes of liquid is insignificant and it cannot cause harm. Note that for every 2.5 cm of fish there should be 15 liters. Example: if a person bought 3 goldfish, the size of which is 5-7 cm, then you need a 120-liter aquarium.
Water temperature for goldfish in an aquarium
For breeding and comfortable existence of aquarium inhabitants, it is important to ensure that the indicators do not rise above 25-28 ° C. The optimal temperature for goldfish in an aquarium depends on the size, so if the body is long, then the value should be at the level of 15-25 ° C, and if it is short – 22-28 ° C. Experienced aquarists recommend taking into account seasonal temperature changes, that is, in summer the value should be several degrees higher than in winter.
Do goldfish need oxygen in an aquarium?
Unlike many other underwater inhabitants, goldfish need water that is well saturated with oxygen, otherwise they may become oxygen starved. If they come to the surface of the water and swallow air, then be sure to increase the filtration and change some of the water. The correct maintenance of goldfish at home indicates the need to install a filter that will comprehensively purify the water. The device must necessarily carry out air aeration.
Goldfish – aquarium lighting
In order to breed goldfish at home and enjoy their beauty, pay attention to proper lighting. Experts say that the best solution is to install a lamp with a pink spectrum closer to the front glass, and a white or yellow one to the back. Goldfish, the content of which takes this rule into account, will look especially bright and attractive. To enhance the illumination, you can use reflectors for lamps.
Caring for a goldfish in an aquarium
Fish do not require special procedures, so breeding and care at home are no different from other aquarium inhabitants.
- Do a partial water change every day. If the content density is moderate, then up to 1/3 of the volume can be drained at a time. Change 1/2 if crowded. Remember that the water must be settled.
- When breeding goldfish, care includes periodic cleaning of the filter and sand. In the second case, a siphon is used and the procedure is carried out once a month. In addition, it is necessary to remove plaque from the glass. Decorative elements are taken out and then cleaned using a brush.
- Successful breeding of goldfish at home necessarily includes proper feeding. It is better to give food to pets twice a day. The amount of food should be calculated so that the fish have time to eat everything in 15 minutes. If you pour a lot of feed, then there is a risk of obesity and the development of diseases. Goldfish are omnivores, so they can be given food of both animal origin (bloodworm, minced meat, straw, and so on) and vegetable (bread, unsalted porridge, lettuce and waterfowl). After each feeding, be sure to remove the remaining parts of the food with a siphon.
Reproduction of goldfish at home
To understand which of your pets is a girl and which is a boy, you will have to wait for spawning, because sexual characteristics appear at this time: in males, you can see white dots on the gills and pectoral fin, and in females, the stomach will be rounded. Reproduction of goldfish is best done at 2-4 years of age, when they are fully developed. For successful spawning at home, it is desirable that there are 2-3 males per female. The mark lasts 2-5 hours and during this time she manages to sweep 2-3 thousand eggs.
Dump for goldfish
If possible, then it is better to transplant a couple for reproduction at home into a separate vessel, with a volume of 20-50 liters. There are a few breeding rules to keep in mind:
- It is important that the water level in the spawning area is no more than 20 cm.
- Goldfish, whose reproduction is carried out under special conditions, need fresh, settled water. If possible, it is recommended to quartz it for several hours or to keep it under the sun.
- The sump should have good lighting and aeration.
- At a distance of 2 cm from the bottom, attach a plastic net to protect the eggs from being eaten by their parents. Place a piece of nylon washcloth in one of the corners.
- After steam is placed in the jig, the temperature should be gradually increased by 2-4°C to speed up spawning.
Goldfish have spawned – what to do?
If a separate vessel was used for breeding, then after laying eggs, the parents must be returned to their usual place of residence. If the fish spawned in a common aquarium, then you will have to move the plants on which the caviar has stuck to a separate container. Many do not know what goldfish caviar looks like, so here it is small grains and they can be seen with the naked eye.
Use a single-channel compressor and a thermometer at home, since it is important for eggs and fry that the temperature is at the level of 22-25 ° C. The next day after deposition, unfertilized eggs will turn white and become covered with a fungus, and so that it does not switch to healthy eggs, the affected must be immediately removed and clean water added. The incubation period lasts 3-4 days.
Goldfish fry – care features
After a few days, the larvae will turn into fry and from that moment they already require care, which implies proper and regular feeding. We feed the fry of goldfish with the help of the Malek food, which has a consistency similar to flour, which is why it is also called “live dust”. Portions should be small, but should be given frequently. In addition, when breeding, it is important not to forget to aerate the water and change it every two days. To develop well, fry need light and warmth.
How fast do goldfish grow in an aquarium?
Once the fry have emerged, keep an eye on their growth in order to seat the individuals in time, because remember that they need space to grow. When figuring out how to breed goldfish, it is worth pointing out that they grow very quickly, especially if all the care rules are followed. After six months, the fry will turn into large individuals that will already look like their parents.
Lifespan of a goldfish in an aquarium
The life span is affected by the conditions of detention and population. If there are too many inhabitants in a small vessel, then life expectancy will decrease significantly. Experts recommend not to forget about the compatibility of breeds. Breeding goldfish, caring for and creating suitable conditions for them should focus on the fact that they are cold-blooded animals, and if the water temperature in the tank is high, then the metabolic processes in the body will also accelerate, which will negatively affect life.
Life expectancy is affected by the type of goldfish chosen, heredity, quality of keeping and transportation to the point of sale, so even experts disagree on the correct timing. Many people are engaged in breeding goldfish at home, and the survey showed that individuals with short bodies live up to 15 years, and with long ones – up to about 30-35 years.