A cat with a canine character is not a fantasy, but a real-life breed. Kurilian bobtails combine tenderness, amazing devotion, intelligence and beauty.
The appearance of the Kuril cat breed closely related to Japanese Bobtails. Their characteristic features are short tails, very developed hind legs and an unusual “dancing” gait. These cats have long been considered living talismans that bring prosperity and happiness to the house.
Active development of the Kuril Islands began in the 20th century. Russian settlers brought with them pets who could not but make friends with local animals. After a while, from the crossing of Siberian and Oriental cats, charming representatives of the new breed appeared. Short-tailed Siberian beauties received new, unique features. This is a thicker coat and a strong physique.
The genes of Siberian parents had a special influence on the appearance of cats. From the “Japanese” the new breed received only a neat tail, resembling a fluffy pompom.
The harsh Kuril climate contributed to the rapid adaptation of the new breed. Cats have acquired excellent immunity and chic thick fur. Also, the conditions contributed to the development of their dexterity and hunting instinct. At first, the animals were just pets protecting a person’s house from rodents, but when they began to be taken to the mainland, other people began to be interested in the breed. At the end of the twentieth century, the excellent breed characteristics of bobtails were evaluated and breeders began to develop standards.
Today, short-tailed fluffy cats are popular all over the world. Representatives of this cat family with an unusual appearance can be found both in eastern countries and in Europe. Kurilian bobtails are the pride of the owners visiting the exhibitions. These cats can become devoted friends to those who give them their love and care.
The Kurilian Bobtail is a charming creature. These cats are medium in size, but they are strong and muscular. Males, of course, are larger, and often the weight of an adult cat reaches 8-9 kg. As for the females, the largest of them weigh no more than 5.5 kg.
To date, certain standards of breed characteristics have been established. Let’s consider them in more detail.
- Head. Animals are distinguished by a rather large muzzle. The forehead is rounded, the cheeks are expressive, the chin is massive, the nose is neat. The eyes are beautiful, almond-shaped, large, usually yellow or green. The ears are triangular, wide, densely pubescent on the inside.
- Tail. A shortened tail is a visiting card of thoroughbred individuals. Outwardly, it resembles a fluffy brush. The length is usually from 3 to 12 cm. The number of vertebrae also varies – from 2 to 10. Bobtail tails are very mobile, according to legend, they helped wild individuals cling to branches during fishing, eliminating the risk of falling into the water.
- Torso. Representatives of the breed are distinguished by a compact physique. The chest is well developed, the hips are often slightly raised.
- limbs. The paws of such cats are rounded, wide, powerful. As a rule, the hind limbs are longer than the front ones.
- Wool. The fur of bobtails is thick and dense. The coat is usually medium or short in length. The back and “panties” on the hind legs are especially fluffy. In individuals with a long coat, the neck is decorated with a luxurious “collar”. This breed almost does not shed, the exception is the period of change of children’s fur to adult.
The special structure of the body and tail does not cause discomfort to animals, and also does not pose any danger to their health.
There are several varieties of bobtails according to their color. The standard allows several options:
- striped – a classic version of the color;
- ash gray;
- black – such specimens are considered rare and very valuable;
- red – a common option;
- snow-white – white individuals usually have a standard greenish-yellow eye tint, but sometimes incredibly beautiful cats with blue eyes are found.
White spots on a cat’s coat with any shade of wool are acceptable. Most often, light places are on the chest and paws in the form of socks. Sometimes there are other color options.
Animals with dark and light brown, gray-beige coats are considered non-compliant. Also, individuals with acromelanic and ticked colors are not recognized as purebred.
If you want not just to get a cute pet, but to acquire a true friend in his person, the Kuril Bobtail is the breed for you. Cats not only look adorable, they are different sociability, patience and friendly character. Animals, like dogs, become attached to their owners, miss them in moments of their absence.
Short-tailed pets love children. They allow you to play with yourself, stroke and squeeze, absolutely not expressing any dissatisfaction. Such cats are excellent parents, they take very touching care of their babies.
With other four-legged inhabitants of the house (cats, dogs), the bobtail will easily find a common language. True, it is possible that he will seek to dominate, expressing his superiority. As for hamsters, domestic rats and birds, it is better not to have them if a representative of the Kuril breed lives in your house. The same goes for fish in an aquarium.
Innate hunting instinct will tempt the cat to hunt for tempting living food. Activity and dexterity are inherent in all short-tailed fluffy pets. They deftly climb onto cabinets and shelves, so it is better to remove all objects that can fall and break from accessible places.
Kurilian Bobtails are very talkative. At the same time, they do not just meow, but make a whole set of sounds with different intonations. The meowing of such four-legged pets can resemble grunts, chirping birds or even dog barking.
The similarity of these interesting cats with dogs is manifested in other nuances. For example, they try to protect their masters. Bobtails are always happy accompany a person and even often sleep nearby, thus showing their care.
Representatives of this breed have high intelligence. Kittens quickly learn to go to the tray. At any age, these animals behave with dignity, they rarely sharpen their claws on furniture upholstery, and do not ride curtains.
The most surprising is the fact that such cats easy to train. They can be taught to perform the “fetch” command, stand on their hind legs, and overcome obstacles. For learning, it is worth choosing a game form. Commands must be given clearly, and success must be rewarded with a treat. It is enough to give classes 10-15 minutes a day.
Too long workouts are useless, the pet may lose interest in the same type of activities.
How long do cats live?
Representatives of this breed usually live up to 12 years old. Some centenarians reach the age of 17. The duration of the life cycle of an animal is influenced not only by genetic factors. This has to do with how well the cat’s owner takes care of it. High-quality food, availability of clean water, lack of stress, timely medical care if necessary – all this can extend the life of the bobtail and make it more enjoyable.
Until what age do they grow?
Newborn kittens of this breed weigh from 90 to 150 g. The development of females continues up to 2 years. By this time they can reach in weight 4-5.5 kg. Male representatives develop up to 3 years. The weight of an adult cat varies from 6 to 9 kg.
If we trace the change in indicators in stages, then by 2 months the kitten can weigh 1.5 kg. At 4 months, the body weight of a cat can reach 2.5 kg. After 5 months, weight gain is no longer so fast.
After three weeks of age, kittens begin to change eye color. During this period, it is already worth carefully trimming your pet’s claws. If there are several kittens, they may accidentally scratch each other.
The fourth week is the start of complementary foods. At this time, it is imperative to provide small cats with clean water. Now you can start to teach the kids to the toilet. It is important to consider that the filler must be mineral. Clumping and silica gel options are not suitable, because unintelligent kittens try everything new.
Monthly animals can already see and hear. They confidently stand, walk and even run. On the fifth (first time) and seventh week (second time), animals are treated with antihelminthics. When babies reach the age of two months, they are given the first vaccination.
Three- or four-month-old kittens can be taken to a new home. They can already do without a mother, kittens eat, drink, learn the world around them on their own. By this time, the second vaccination should be done.
At the age of eight months, the fluffy completes the change of teeth. Active growth is also coming to an end. This is the ideal period for spaying the animal. If the owner does not plan to breed cats, it is better to carry out the operation, saving the pet from problems in the future.
It is important not to miss this period. An adult animal with established habits may not accept sterilization both physically and mentally.
When the bobtail is one year old, another antihelminthic prophylactic treatment is carried out. After that, the pet is transferred to adult food. Also at this time they make a mandatory comprehensive vaccination. The short-tailed handsome can be taken to exhibitions after he has reached 10 months.
During this period, all the advantages and breed characteristics are clearly visible, allowing you to evaluate the individual and draw up its professional description.
Conditions of detention
Cats of the Kuril breed are generally unpretentious. They need standard care. These animals do not mark territory, which undoubtedly pleases the owners. In addition, they are odorless, which also makes it easier to keep pets.
The main thing is to equip a cozy corner for the cat. It’s great if it’s not just a sleeping place, but a whole gaming complex. You also need to buy a tray, containers for food and water, toys in advance. Do not ignore the special scratching post.
- Combing. The short coat of the animal should be combed periodically, 1-2 times a week. To do this, you can use a rubber or silicone glove. If the fur is long, you may need a special brush and a comb with large teeth.
You can not ignore the combing process. Otherwise, the pet may begin dermatological problems. Grooming is worth doing twice a year.
- Bathing. Surprisingly, short-tailed cats are very fond of water treatments. They are happy to splash both in natural reservoirs and in the bathroom. It is not necessary to wash your four-legged pet often. Usually this is done as needed: when the fur coat is dirty or before the upcoming exhibition.
The wool is pre-treated with a disinfecting paste. Use when bathing special shampoo. It is not recommended to use detergent too often. It can dry out the skin and make the animal’s fur dull. After water procedures, the animal is briefly wrapped in a soft towel or a hair dryer is used to dry.
- Hearing Care. Your pet’s ears should be checked periodically. If contamination is found, they should be removed with a cotton swab and an antiseptic. This should be done as carefully as possible, without immersing the object deep. Also do not use vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or alcohol-containing preparations.
Long hair growing on the inside of the cat’s ears should be trimmed. This will reduce the accumulation of secretory fluid.
- Eye cleansing. To do this, use a soft cloth. First, it must be moistened with eye drops for animals.
- Teeth cleaning. To rid your pet of plaque and prevent inflammation, you should purchase a special paste and brush in a specialized store. There are also special treats on sale that help clean the teeth and oral cavity of the animal.
- Toilet arrangement. It is better to choose a tray with high sides. Cats of the Kuril breed are especially active in burying “their affairs”. Therefore, the filler can scatter around the room.
Of course, do not forget about the timely change of the filler.
The ideal conditions for the Kurilian Bobtail are a private house, where there is a lot of space. However, such a cat can be kept in an apartment. The pet will be happy to travel with the owner to nature, go fishing. At the same time, it is important to regularly inspect the cat’s coat so as not to miss the possible appearance of fleas, ticks or other insects.
An excellent solution would be to purchase a special protective collar.
What to feed?
The diet of a short-tailed pet must be balanced. We list the products that should be included in the menu of the Kuril Bobtail, if the owner decided to feed the pet with natural food:
- raw meat – the basis of the menu of a domestic predator;
- offal is offered to cats boiled;
- boiled fish is included in the diet no more than 2 times a week, it is preferable to use low-fat varieties;
- eggs (yolk) can be given 1 time in 3 days;
- fermented milk products (kefir, cottage cheese, yogurt) are more useful for adult cats than plain milk;
- cereals (except for millet and rice) perfectly complement meat, porridge from them is boiled in water;
- boiled and raw vegetables are a valuable source of fiber, they are pre-chopped before serving.
If you decide to feed your cat with industrial food, then choose premium or super-premium quality options. The main ingredients should be meat and offal. Mixed meals are allowed but not recommended. You can not combine dry food and natural food in one feeding. Regardless of the type of feeding, a bowl of clean water should always be available to the pet.
Do not pour liquid from the tap to a cat. It is better to give your pet bottled or filtered water to drink. Don’t forget the fresh herbs too. All cats love greenery. It saturates the body of the animal with vitamins, improves its well-being and mood.
The special herb can be purchased as seeds and grown in a pot on a windowsill.
Kurilian bobtails come from places with a harsh climate. Such animals are not afraid of wind and frost, they have good health and good immunity. However, cats can still be exposed to diseases of the intestines, genitourinary system, kidneys. This is especially evident in old age. Mature individuals may experience visual impairment, problems with teeth.
If you notice a health disorder in your pet, then in this case it is better not to start the situation.. Many diseases can be successfully treated in the early stages. In addition, it is important from an early age to pay attention to the condition of the animal, to monitor its proper nutrition. At the first alarming symptoms, such as lethargy, loss of appetite, and so on, you should contact your veterinarian. It is necessary to vaccinate in a timely manner, undergo regular veterinary examinations, and perform mandatory preventive treatment against helminths.
The Kurilian Bobtail is a wonderful breed. Your fluffy pet will not let you get bored. Remember that a pet is a big responsibility. Take care of the cat, show her your love, take care of her well-being. Then a smart, kind and inquisitive animal will surely answer you with devotion and tenderness.
Learn more interesting information about the Kuril Bobtail from the following video.