The American Gentleman is the second name of the beloved dog breed in the United States, the Boston Terrier. Kids with a flattened muzzle with big eyes and an original color will not leave anyone indifferent. They are bred by crossing the English Bulldog with the Terrier.
Description of the Boston Terrier breed
Selection work with these dogs was aimed at obtaining a “family” breed, representatives of which can be kept in an apartment. Brief description of the Boston Terrier breed – a small dog with an active and at the same time good-natured character, which needs daily walks. The dog received the nickname “gentleman” not only for its innate cleanliness, but also for its appearance. Its coloring resembles a tuxedo. Unlike other similar dogs, these dogs do not suffer from excessive salivation, and their muzzles remain clean and dry.
Conventionally, depending on the weight of animals, the Boston Terrier breed is divided into:
- lungs – up to 6 kg;
- medium – up to 9 kg;
- heavy – up to 11 kg.
Boston Terrier breed standard
These dogs are descendants of bulldogs, but they are built much more naturally and proportionately. Boston Terriers are the official symbol of the US state of Massachusetts. The breed is so popular that it has its own set standards:
- Head. The skull is square with a broad forehead. Nose bridge with a pronounced bend.
- Eyes round large size, smart look. The color of the iris is dark.
- Nose large with pointed nostrils. The lobe is black with a clear dividing furrow.
- Ears small in size, pointed and set wide apart. Require triangular cupping.
- Lips thick. Completely cover the lower jaw.
- Teeth. Not too powerful, there is a direct bulldog bite. The mouth is square.
- Body. The Boston Terrier is a “square” dog. Has a smooth transition to the withers. The back is straight, the chest is wide, the neck is proportional to the body.
- limbs. The legs are elongated, the front paws are parallel to each other. The hind limbs are endowed with a pronounced curvature. The pads are rounded, the nails are short.
- Tail. Short, low set and thin at the end.
- Wool. Short without undercoat and close to the skin.
- The weight Boston Terrier ranges from 4.5 to 11.5 kg.
- Height at the withers 38-43 cm.
- Lifespan about 15 years old.
Boston Terrier – colors
The coat color of this breed can be varied:
- pied or brindle;
- boston terrier black with white patches;
- seal or seal.
In addition to the main colors, there are also unique ones. They are not allowed in purebred dogs to participate in exhibitions, but they look very beautiful:
Boston Terrier – character
Any actions performed in the house where a dog of this breed lives are not complete without her participation. The dog is very curious and friendly. He will have a good relationship with all family members. He is ready to endure all the inconveniences, most importantly, to be close to the owner. Features of the Boston Terrier breed are that of these animals they are bad watchmen, all they can do is bark when strangers approach. This breed is an excellent companion for children. Character traits include:
Boston Terrier – hypoallergenic or not?
This breed is included in the TOP dogs that people with allergies can have. The Boston Terrier is brown and of a different shade due to its short coat, suitable for keeping in an apartment or a private house. Friendly nature helps to easily find a common language with people of different ages and other pets. In addition, the dog is clean, which means that there will be no smell and dirt with proper care.
Pros and cons of the Boston Terrier breed
In order to understand whether it is worth getting a Boston Terrier, you need to study the positive and negative aspects of pets. The advantages of the Boston Terrier include:
- Friendliness and calm nature.
- Long-lived compared to other breeds.
- The content is accessible and uncomplicated.
- Thanks to its small size, it is suitable for living in small apartments.
- Easily finds a common language with other animals.
- He treats children well and with great patience.
- Endowed with intelligence and high intelligence.
- Rarely barks.
The disadvantages of the Boston Terrier breed are as follows:
- Cannot be kept outdoors due to lack of undercoat.
- It can easily get sick from strong temperature changes.
- Poorly tolerates a long absence of the owner.
- Due to the friendly nature, he can leave with a stranger.
How to choose a Boston Terrier puppy?
Babies start looking for a home when they reach the age of 1.5 months. Ask the breeder as many questions as possible to understand how correct the care after birth was. Boston Terrier puppies are selected according to the following criteria:
- not afraid of noise;
- legs are even;
- belly is small;
- big eyes;
- the look is lively and clean;
- the coat is even and shiny;
- the puppy should be playful and friendly.
In order to understand how conscientious a breeder is, you need to know how much the Boston Terrier costs in order to navigate the prices. The average cost from the hands of $ 300, in the nursery in the range of $ 400-500. The following parameters affect the cost:
- pedigree of parents;
- puppy age;
- compliance with breed standards;
- the presence of defects;
- cattery elite level.
Boston Terrier – care and maintenance
Dogs are not demanding attention from their owners. Boston Terrier care includes:
- Daily walks every day with active games on time.
- Bathing is carried out only if necessary. You can wipe the muzzle with a damp cloth.
- Regular grooming, eye and ear examinations are important. Nails are trimmed every two months. During molting, combing of wool is carried out.
How to feed a Boston Terrier puppy?
The breed is not picky about food. Until the age of 10 months. the number of meals should be about 10. After that, they are transferred to the morning and evening diet. Red and other shades of Boston Terrier can eat specialized food made from natural ingredients, for example, you can give preference to BRIT PREMIUM LAMB & RICE. It is recommended to offer your pet protein food, it should be 40% of the diet. It is important to provide access to clean drinking water. When compiling a diet, choose the following products:
- fish (river or sea without bones);
- lean boiled or raw meat (chicken or beef);
- dairy products (cottage cheese, cheese or kefir);
- eggs (4 pcs per week);
- vegetables and greens;
- vitamin supplements.
Under the ban are:
- sausages and sausages;
- sweet desserts;
- tubular bones;
- processed foods.
Boston Terrier – training
The breed is restless and playful, so training will be difficult, you will need to find an approach. The Boston Terrier puppy is highly intelligent, so the right lessons will help you quickly master the commands. The basic rule of training is no shouting or punishment. Such an attitude will lead to the despondency of the pet, and he may generally refuse to study in the future. The opposite reaction of the owner in the form of praise will lead to the fact that the dog will try to please the owner with increased zeal. For training, it is better to choose special sites.
Boston Terrier – diseases
If any abnormalities or health problems are found, you should immediately contact your veterinarian, who, after a thorough examination, will prescribe the appropriate treatment. Choosing therapy on your own is dangerous, because this can cause even more harm to health. In addition, each owner should know what diseases the dog is susceptible to. This breed suffers from the following health problems:
- Sinusitis. The problem arises from the flattened shape of the muzzle.
- Dislocation of the knee and elbow received at birth.
- Due to the small size of the stomach, overeating may cause pyloric stenosis.
- Protruding eyes lead to juvenile cataract. The problem manifests itself in the form of an absent gaze and clouding of the lens.
- Often the Boston Terrier dog breed suffers from deafness. Similar problems are diagnosed in 5% of puppies.
- With improper care, a pet can get allergic skin reactions, for example, to food or detergent.
- Due to the short coat and lack of undercoat, the dog can get sunstroke. This must be remembered when walking in the summer during the daytime with a pet.
- To prevent breakthroughs of the birth canal due to the large size of the fetal head, a caesarean section is performed.
- Some owners believe that wheezing and snoring is a pathology. However, in the absence of other symptoms, this is considered a feature of these dogs.