Have you got a new pet in your house? It’s time to find out how to feed a rat, what food can be given to her, and what is strictly forbidden, what you can pamper her occasionally, and what she can eat without any restrictions. Although rats are not particularly picky about food, you can’t feed them “whatever” you want. Their diet should be balanced, and the food should be properly prepared.
How to feed a decorative rat at home?
Like all living creatures, rats are prone to various diseases that can be triggered by an incorrect lifestyle and an incorrect diet. Before you learn about how to feed a domestic decorative rat, you need to mention a number of important points:
- the diet should be as low as possible fats;
- animal protein for rats should be in moderate portions, and if you want to treat your pet with meat, it should be boiled and without fat;
- it is permissible to pamper a rat with a chicken bone – it will grind its teeth about it;
- special food from cereals should be in the diet regularly, but not constantly – sometimes a pet needs to be pampered with something tasty and tasty;
- throughout the year, periodically treat the rat with vitamin supplements.
The list of foods that you can feed a domestic rat:
- Cereals and grains: buckwheat, millet, barley, rice, rye.
- Berries and fruits: watermelon, apricots, avocados, pineapple, hawthorn, grapes, cherries, melons, strawberries / strawberries, cranberries, raspberries, mangoes, peaches, mountain ash, currants, persimmons, blueberries, rose hips, apples.
- Vegetables and greens: basil, zucchini, cilantro, carrots, cucumbers, parsley, lettuce, celery, pumpkin, dill, zucchini.
- animal protein: hamarus, seafood, lean meat, organ meats, eggs.
- Dairy: yogurt, kefir, cottage cheese, ryazhenka.
What to feed a pregnant rat?
A special moment in the life of a pet is the bearing of offspring. Quite naturally, you will be interested in the question of how to feed a rat at home while she is pregnant. Her diet during this period should be as diverse as possible and consist of healthy products. It is not necessary to abuse unhealthy goodies. Instead of cookies, it is better to treat her with baby cottage cheese without additives. Every day she should eat fruits and vegetables. Do not forget about animal protein, but you should give meat or an egg no more than 2-3 times a week. If there is no chalk and mineral stone in the cage, it’s time to get them.
What to feed a newborn rat?
A nursing rat needs to be fed hard so that the babies can get good nutrition without harming the mother. During this period, it is better to give liquid food, as the rat will have little time to chew on dry food. You need to give complementary foods twice a day, alternating fermented milk products and animal protein, without limiting it in fruits and vegetables. So, what can you feed a home rat that has given birth:
- meat and fruit and vegetable ready-made purees (baby food);
- yogurt, cottage cheese, kefir;
- meat, chicken, fish – boiled and without salt.
What can you feed a small rat?
If it so happened that the mother rat refused to feed the offspring for one reason or another, you will have to feed the babies yourself through a syringe or catheter. What to feed a newborn rat is an extremely important question. The first couple of days you can keep it on pure goat’s milk. Then gradually transfer to a dry milk mixture, kneading it in goat’s milk. As a prophylaxis of enteritis, after each feeding, you need to drip the prebiotic “Biovestin” on the tongue of the rat.
What can you feed decorative rats that have grown a little:
- as soon as the eyes of the rats have opened, you can start giving them dry baby cereals, also diluting them with goat’s milk to the consistency of thick cream;
- from 2.5 weeks, you can carefully introduce simple cereals, boiled meat, banana into food;
- at 3 weeks, rat pups can be transferred to an adult diet and accustomed to a drinking bowl.
Can you feed a rat meat?
Animal protein is essential for rats, but you need to know how to properly feed your rat meat. First, raw meat is completely unacceptable. It should be boiled or steamed, always low-fat. It could be beef mixed with poultry. Secondly, there is no need to be zealous with the amount of such products, since an excess of protein is harmful to the body and leads to its rapid aging. Give the rat meat a couple of times a week – no more.
Can you feed a rat cheese?
We are used to seeing rats go crazy over cheese in cartoons. In fact, these pets are not his inveterate lovers at all, and this is for the best, since this product contributes to obesity. Feeding decorative rats with cheese should be moderate – once every 2 days and in small quantities. In this case, the cheese should be mild and unsalted. Blue cheese varieties are generally unacceptable in the diet of rats.
Can bananas be fed to pet rats?
Green bananas are a forbidden product for rats. Ripe ones are very useful and desirable. They are ideal for daily nutrition. In general, domestic rats are very fond of feeding fruits and vegetables, and due to such nutrition they receive all the necessary vitamins for good growth and development. What to feed a rat besides bananas: regularly give your pet apples, dates, plums, blueberries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries, fresh cucumbers (except during pregnancy and infancy), cabbage, carrots, pumpkins, tomatoes.
How many times a day should a rat be fed?
Since these rodents are able to chew around the clock, the next question is how often to feed the rat so that it is not hungry, but at the same time does not overeat. She does not need obesity, so food should not be constantly available. In addition, leftover food should be removed immediately. The rat should receive its portion of food 2 times a day – in the morning and in the evening. At the same time, in the morning it should be rather a light snack, but the evening portion should be much more nutritious, which is explained by the nocturnal lifestyle of the animal.
An exception to the rule is a pregnant and lactating rat. She needs to be fed 3-4 times a day. Small rat pups also need frequent and fractional nutrition. It is advisable to always feed at the same time so that the rodent does not have problems with digestion. For the same reason, you can not drastically change the diet of animals. Any new product should be introduced gradually.
What should not be fed to a domestic rat?
When choosing the ideal diet for rodents, you need to know what you can and cannot feed a rat. And the latter is much more important, because some foods are literally poisonous to rats. Here’s what you can’t feed a rat:
- chocolate and confectionery;
- smoked sausages and cheeses;
- green bananas;
- Brussels sprouts and red cabbage.
From herbal food, the following plants are deadly for rats:
- lily of the valley;
- tomato leaves.