Handy cages for quails are necessary in those farms where they breed such a bird. These birds are small, so there are unambiguous requirements for their maintenance that must be met when arranging a home. Then the bird will feel comfortable, get sick less and develop successfully.
When raising birds, they need to be guaranteed sufficient light and heat, proper feeding and a comfortable home. It is important to know what cages are needed for quails, their dimensions and material of manufacture, what is the recommended option for planting pets. The bird is very whimsical and in order to receive constantly fresh eggs from it, it is important to purchase or build a cozy house with your own hands. For all age groups, a separate dwelling is needed, in separate houses they lodge:
- chicks from the age of 10 days to 1 month;
- adult stock;
- laying hens supplying table eggs.
What cages are best for quails?
Such birds are extremely sensitive to external stimuli. Noises, harsh sounds, light and drafts have a bad effect on their productivity. When choosing a house, it is important to take into account these factors, to choose the right not only dimensions, but also the configuration. Cages for growing quails are constructed from various materials: plywood, chipboard, metallized mesh, even plastic. Rules for keeping these birds:
- The house is best made from solid material – boards, plywood, galvanized. It should be easy to disinfect and wash. The front wall, where the drinker and feeder will be placed, should be mesh with volumetric cells so that pets can stick their heads out into them. At the bottom is a tray for collecting waste.
- Houses for young animals from 10 days to 1 month have many tiers, separated by a heating compartment. They are equipped with a nipple drinking system and a waste tray.
- Laying hens are settled in houses with a sloping bottom at 10 ° C. From the outside, a chute is fixed into which laid eggs fall. It should be equipped with sides of 10 cm.
Planting density of quails in a cage
It is important to know how many quails can be kept in one cage. This is due to the productivity of the herd. For any configuration of the house, it is necessary to adhere to the parameters of landing birds:
- Allowed rate – 70-120 heads per 1 m2 gender.
- Optimum stocking density in the production of hatching eggs – 70 heads per 1 m2 gender. There should not be more than 25-30 quails in one house, 4-5 females are needed for one male.
- In the production of food eggs, the landing frequency is 115-120 birds per 1 m2 gender. In this case, females are kept without males.
Quail cage sizes
The poultry house must have approximate technical dimensions:
- cage height for quails – 170-240 mm;
- width – 1000 mm;
- depth – 600 mm;
- watering front – for 1 drinker 10 goals;
- the front of the feeder – for 1 head 25 mm;
- dimensions of the feeder: width 50 mm, outer side – 80 mm, inner – 50 mm.
Quail cage device
A convenient cage configuration for quails is a wooden or galvanized frame, covered with iron mesh on the end side and on the floor. In order for it to comfortably stand on the floor, you need to plan legs 15-30 cm high or operate the house as a tier of a multi-storey battery. Quail cage scheme:
- chute for collecting eggs;
- the bottom of the cell;
- tray for collecting garbage and litter.
The home for birds is equipped with feeding systems, drinking bowls, and heating. It is advisable to use thin metal, chipboard sheets or plywood as the basis and for the pallet. The drinker system must be uninterrupted, the feeder to minimize feed loss. So that the egg rolling on the inclined bottom does not fall, a groove up to 10 cm wide with a side-retainer is provided on the outside.
Quail cage heating
For mature quail, the acceptable temperature is +18 – 252C, already at a temperature of +162Since the female can stop laying eggs. In the cool, the birds huddle together, climb one on top of the other and may die. Houses with quails in the cold season should be in a barn with external heating – stove, electric or other. If it is not there, then you will need a winter cage for quails; it is equipped with a warmer wood frame. Infrared lamps are used as heating, the thermostat will help to equip the most ideal conditions.
Mesh for quail cages
The bottom of the house for birds is made of a fine mesh, through which garbage and bird droppings wake up, and the birds themselves walk confidently without risking injuring their legs. Such a bottom helps to quickly and effectively clean the cells. The choice of material is based on the age of the individuals to be placed in the house. Quail cages – which cell size to choose:
- For chicks, the floor is constructed from a grid of 10×10 mm, the wire diameter is 0.9-2 mm.
- For adult birds, a cell size of 16×24 mm is chosen on the floor. For walls, it is appropriate to use a grid measuring 32×48 mm.
- For adult pets, in order to get meat, good illumination of the house is needed, so the sidewalls are also made of mesh. The cages are made lower than traditional ones so that the quails move less and gain weight more quickly.
How to make a cage for quails?
It is easy to build a cage for quails with your own hands. This is within the power of home craftsmen, armed with minimal tools. Making a quail cage:
- Sidewall blanks and facades are cut out from the metal mesh.
- With the help of a wooden mallet and a simple tool, the mesh is bent and takes the shape of a cube.
- A pre-prepared bottom with a side at an angle is fixed.
- The front of the cage must have a slot for rolling eggs.
- A door is arranged in the center of the butt.
- From a galvanized profile, you can make a feeder and equip a nipple drinker inside the cage.