Many pet lovers dream of the exotic. Recently, domestic raccoon is gaining more and more popularity. This amazing animal has increased activity and high intellectual abilities. However, you should not count on complete submission and affection from the side of the raccoon. A wayward pet, even at home, is unlikely to be able to completely get rid of its “animal” instincts.
Character and habits
It is believed that the homeland of the cute and hooligan striped raccoon is North and Central America. However, scientists have found that these animals quickly adapt to any habitat. In the wild, funny animals prefer wooded areas and the obligatory presence of a reservoir nearby. The naughty one lives in the hollows of trees, but he will not give up on the “dwelling” in the form of a mink dug by other animals. In most cases, the raccoon prefers to protect personal space, not allowing strangers into its territory.
The distinguishing features of this animal include:
- small stature – an adult animal reaches the size of a miniature dog;
- wide head with a pointed muzzle;
- chic fur with beautiful colors (all shades of black, gray and red);
- long fluffy tail.
Also, the animal has excellent vision and hearing. This feature allows the animal to hunt even in the dark. Raccoons climb trees perfectly, and in case of danger they can accelerate to 20-30 km / h.
As for the nature and habits of the mischievous animal, first of all, the owner must understand that the animal will never get rid of its natural instincts. The fact is that fluffy hooligans absolutely do not sit still, constantly exploring new places, things. Possessing increased activity, the raccoon explores every corner in the owner’s house. In addition, raccoons are not without waywardness and do not accept raising their voices from the owner. In such cases, the animal pretends to be “dead”, causing excitement among unrestrained household members.
Also this pet is enough vindictive and capable of revenge. Most often this is expressed in aggression towards the breeder some time after the “quarrel”. Another feature of the character of the raccoon is its night walks. Resting in the daytime, with the advent of darkness, a curious animal goes in search of adventure. Note that the hind legs of the animal are so flexible that they allow it to perform various acrobatic stunts while climbing on various surfaces.
It is important to understand that Raccoons are extremely clean pets. They love various water procedures. Those who decide to have a pet raccoon do not have to worry about the unpleasant smell.
It is enough to wipe the body and limbs of the animal with a damp cloth, and its fur will become shiny and silky.
Note that during the period of sexual activity, a cute animal is able to show aggression towards others for no apparent reason. In this case, experts recommend castrating the males.
In the northern regions, these pets are able to hibernate. They do not leave the hole, their metabolism slows down and their body temperature decreases. According to experts, raccoons living in the southern regions are distinguished by year-round activity.
Starting a conversation about the positive aspects of having a raccoon at home, we note that these animals are quite unpretentious in food and do not require an exclusive diet. Also, the advantages of the animal include the following nuances.
- “Fluffy” has high intellectual abilities. He likes to imitate his owner, copying his habits and movements. This feature is extremely amusing for small household members.
- Raccoons love fun games and are happy to make contact. The pet does not need privacy and can play with the owner for hours.
- Domestic raccoon breeders do not need to worry about the unpleasant smell in the apartment. A clean animal does not tolerate dirt and gladly accepts water procedures.
- The striped raccoon is distinguished by its longevity. At home, the animal can live 15-20 years. Also, a funny animal has good health, which undoubtedly affects its life expectancy.
With proper care, a domestic raccoon can live 25 years.
Despite all the advantages, the raccoon as a pet is not without some disadvantages. These include the following points.
- The raccoon got its name for a reason. The fact is that the animal loves to rinse in the water absolutely everything that comes in its way. Jewelry, expensive items and small household appliances can be used.
- It is unlikely that a breeder will be able to completely tame a wild animal. If the animal gets angry, it can hurt the owner to bite or scratch.
- Raccoons like to check the contents of the trash can, so this container is best removed from a conspicuous place.
- It is almost impossible to train a furry animal to use the toilet. Males will definitely mark their territory, regardless of the breeder’s prohibitions.
- The pet needs its own corner in the apartment. However, the dimensions of his dwelling should be impressive. Not every breeder can afford to allocate a separate room for a fluffy “friend”.
- Wayward raccoons do not tolerate loneliness and constantly require attention. Thus, one of the household members must always be directly with the animal.
Compatibility with other animals
Another significant disadvantage of a domestic raccoon is its relationship with other pets. The fact is that a wild animal is strictly forbidden to be kept with rodents, ornamental birds, and kittens. A wild animal will perceive them as prey, which will lead to sad consequences.
With large living creatures, the raccoon coexists quite tolerantly. However, a pet is unlikely to allow cats or dogs to enter its territory. Another little bully loves to feast on ornamental plants, so their number in the house with the arrival of a fluffy fidget will be significantly reduced.
How to contain?
First of all, you should abandon the cell. A wild animal in captivity will experience severe stress, which will subsequently lead to its death. The best option would be a spacious outdoor aviary. If this is not possible, then the pet is allocated a separate place in an apartment or private house.
Outwardly, the raccoon’s dwelling should resemble a closet, the front wall of which is made of mesh. The side walls are sheathed with moisture-resistant plywood. Sawdust is used as a filler. Also, a small bowl for food, a tray and toys are installed in the pet’s home.
The house must be cleaned daily.
The raccoon is an omnivore and is not particularly picky about food. His diet consists of the following foods:
- sea fish;
- lean meats;
- dairy products;
Also raccoons happy to use dry food intended for cats or dogs. Feeding fluffy animal 2 to 4 times a day. Note that it is not recommended to give your pet flour products, smoked meats and chocolate.
They bathe a domestic raccoon with the use of special means 2-3 times a year. The rest of the time, the pet can enjoy a shower with warm water. Visits to the veterinarian and timely vaccinations are also important for a pet.
Do not forget about the treatment of animal hair from fleas and ticks.
Raccoon training should take place without the use of physical force. Otherwise, the animal will become the sworn enemy of its owner. For a wild animal, punishment is a kind of signal to respond. However, the breeder must gain indisputable authority from the pet, otherwise the wayward raccoon will become uncontrollable.
Education methods are based on the behavior of a fluffy pet. Obedience is encouraged with a favorite treat or a new toy. As for the “No” command, in this case a plastic bottle will help. If the owner of a wild animal disobeys, it is enough to hit this object on a hard surface, making a loud sound, and clearly pronounce the phrase: “Forbidden!”.
It is especially important to constantly monitor the movement of a small pet. It is better to hide all cutting objects from him. It is also necessary to ensure that the baby does not swallow anything dangerous to his health.
It is useful for a domestic raccoon to take walks in the fresh air. For these purposes, you will need habits and a muzzle. It is necessary to accustom the animal to these accessories gradually. Walking your pet is best in the morning or evening hours. In hot weather, the animal can get heatstroke, and severe frosts will put it into a sluggish state.
You can learn how to keep a raccoon at home by watching the video below.