People first began to domesticate birds in ancient times. Some were valued for their beautiful singing, others were incredibly beautiful or smart. In this article, you will get acquainted with the most popular and interesting varieties of poultry, their habits and features of keeping.
All poultry can be divided into three varieties: songbirds (having a melodic voice), decorative birds (with original color), and parrots, which are a kind of hybrid of the first two species.
These birds are bred by people due to their unique manner of singing. They are not as common as parrots, but are also often found as pets.
- Thrushes. Few of us have not heard the thrush singing while hiking in nature – these unique birds have a surprisingly melodious voice, as well as a rather sharp mind. These birds are not adapted to keeping in a cage, they need large aviaries, a lot of space for flights, a lot of sunlight, as well as constant water baths.
- Finches. Not a particularly common bird among Russian breeders, however, very interesting. Finches are extremely restless, curious, very fond of different tricks.
Unfortunately, only male finches can sing, their singing is very gentle and iridescent.
- Chizhi. Very cute birds with a pleasant and melodic timbre. They adapt well to a new place, can get along well with other pets, including birds of a different variety. Unlike other domestic birds, they are tolerant of loneliness – they always have something to do. A feature of siskins is their ability to imitate the singing of other birds. Feeding them is easy, and care will not be a big problem even for a beginner.
- Goldfinches. These small birds with colorful plumage have a multi-stage and very melodic voice. Among other birds, they are distinguished by a sharp mind, but also a pugnacious character.
These pets should not be placed in enclosures with other birds, especially if they are birds of a completely different species.
- Oatmeal. Few people know about these singing birds – all because of their unsociableness and long getting used to a new place. In the wild, buntings are real enthusiasts who love to sing in a variety of manners. If you still manage to get such a pet, then there should be no difficulties with feeding or keeping it.
- Jays. Among other birds, jays are the most talented. In addition to their original color and plumage, these birds can accurately imitate not only the singing of other birds, but also the voices of people, and even reproduce the full sounds of other pets. This can be fun, but becomes a problem in families with multiple pets, where such imitation becomes more of a teaser.
- Nightingales. You can not ignore this king of songbirds. Despite the seemingly completely nondescript appearance, these birds create real works of art with their singing. They do not adapt very quickly to being kept at home and should be kept in very spacious enclosures.
- Starling. An unpopular, but very interesting option if you want to have a feathered pet. These are very inquisitive, intelligent and friendly birds that will find a common language with everyone. For a lifetime, starlings can even learn up to a few words, however, problems often arise with their content. Starlings need a good spacious cage or aviary with a layer of earth of at least 3-4 cm, in which these birds love to dig.
- Canary. Canaries are a versatile songbird species in every way. They are very beautiful, melodic and sociable pets that will never make the owner bored. For their maintenance, a particularly large cage is not needed, and canaries are not picky about the type of food. The main thing for them is that the owner loves them and gives them maximum attention. Canaries feed mainly on grains or seeds, however, they do not disdain insects in the wild.
Parrots today are considered universal pets when it comes to birds. They are beautiful, perspicacious, adore communication and most often become real family members.
- Aratinga. Many inexperienced breeders confuse these amazing birds with macaws. These parrots got their unusual name due to their exceptional multi-colored coloring. The main colors in the coloring of the aratinga are yellow and orange, but the saturation of these shades depends on the variety of the parrot. The dwelling of an aratinga must be large enough for him to spread his wings there.
- Wavy. Budgerigars are considered the most affordable compared to other domestic species. These little birds can be found in any nursery, they do not require large cages and get used to a new place very quickly. With a strong desire, a budgerigar can be taught to pronounce up to 10 separate phrases. Another advantage of these parrots is the variety of its colors. The plumage of these birds can be yellow, green, blue or mixed.
- Corella. These parrots are considered ideal for breeding in absolutely any conditions. This is a very sociable, restless and friendly bird that can be trained to pronounce up to 100 words in a lifetime. Caring for these birds is not difficult, however, in addition to the main food, cockatiels need a wide variety in their diet, including fruits, vegetables and vitamins.
- Lovebirds. These parrots are advised to buy in pairs or constantly pay them maximum attention. The name “lovebirds” came from the tendency of these birds to constantly look after their partner. Absolutely anyone can handle the food and care of lovebirds, however, the home of lovebirds should be spacious and clean.
- Cockatoo. Among the rest of the parrots, the cockatoo is considered a real centenarian. These amazing parrots with a characteristic tuft on their heads can live up to 50 years at home. Cockatoos are distinguished from others by their incredibly developed intellect and simply a colossal need for attention. Such a parrot at home is like a small child who is trying with all his might to take you to the games.
Thanks to their sharp mind, they are able to remember up to several hundred words in a lifetime.
- Jaco. Jaco parrots are a rarity in ordinary families. All because of, at first glance, the nondescript color of these parrots and the huge price even for the youngest individuals. In fact, this is an incredibly smart bird that perfectly imitates human speech and is able to remember more than 100 words in a lifetime. Jacos are as sociable as other parrots, they love games, tricks and all kinds of toys.
- ara. Many consider macaws to be kings among all other parrots. They are distinguished by a very colorful and rich color, extreme longevity, as well as an incredibly sharp mind. With insufficient attention from the owner, the macaws become uncontrollable and, with the help of their powerful beak, can harm furniture throughout the apartment, ruin the cage, and even terrorize other pets. If the owner takes good care of such a pet and spends a lot of free time with him, the macaw becomes a full-fledged member of the family who loves to be in the spotlight.
- Amazon. This variety of parrot is suitable for breeders who are not ready to keep large birds. Amazons have a sharp mind, original appearance and quickly take root in a new place. These parrots get used to people very quickly and do not tolerate being alone for a long time. There is only one drawback in caring for these birds – their large and very strong beak can ruin both furniture and a cage (if it is not metal, but polymer).
Decorative-type poultry are bred for two reasons: for the sake of a unique appearance or due to certain mental abilities.
- Bullfinch. These birds were bred for their stunning bright plumage. This species of birds gets along well with people and quickly adapts to cage conditions. Unfortunately, nature has not endowed these birds with good hearing and singing, but they can still make melodic sounds.
- Raven, magpie and crow. A good choice for original owners who want to see a true companion in a bird. These birds are not only very smart, which they show almost constantly, but also talented. They perfectly understand the mood of the owner, they can pronounce individual words or phrases. In care, these birds are very picky – the cage will not work here, you will need a spacious and very durable aviary, which must always be kept clean.
With improper upbringing, these birds are very irritable and capricious.
- Owl. Perhaps the quietest and most taciturn of all feathered pets. These birds do not like increased attention and prefer to spend most of their time alone. The main activity of owls begins at night, which becomes a big problem for inexperienced breeders. Unfortunately, owls are very difficult to care for – they need a strictly defined and expensive food (mice, rats, crickets), as well as a huge space.
- Amaranth. This is probably the most unpopular option among all types of poultry. In addition to their beautiful red plumage, these birds are no different from street birds. Unfortunately, amaranths hardly take root in a new place and rarely recognize a true friend in the owner.
- Amadins. These small birds with a red beak are distinguished by a very friendly and restless character. Some attribute Amadins to songbirds, however, these pets make only individual characteristic sounds that cannot be called singing.
Since these birds come from a tropical climate, low temperatures and drafts are not allowed in their keeping.
- Pigeons. If the rest of the ornamental birds start only because of their appearance, then some varieties of pigeons are also actively used for meat production. In addition, everyone knows about carrier pigeons and what they are capable of. In rare cases, such birds can fly thousands of kilometers and will not make a mistake in choosing a route.
About what kind of bird to get at home, see the next video.