Pets often live in an apartment or house and only sometimes go beyond their native territory. From time to time, the owners need to go somewhere by train or even move to a new place of residence, and then it is necessary to decide what to do with the pet. If you need to ride a train with a cat, then you should know how to do it right and what you need to complete such a procedure.
Many people like to travel, but if you have pets, this procedure can become problematic, because certain rules must be observed for the transportation of cats and other animals. It is easier to transport a cat on a train than a dog, which is due to its dimensions, however, even for such a fluffy animal, a lot of documents need to be issued in order for the owner to be allowed to transport the pet. In order to be in time for everything, it is recommended to go through all the instances at least a month in advance and obtain the relevant documents in order to calmly prepare for the trip.
In order for the cat to be allowed on the train, it is necessary to vaccinate it and examine it with all doctors. Below is what else needs to be done.
- Rabies vaccination – without it, no one will give permission for the presence of a cat on the train. The optimal time for its implementation is considered to be 30 days before the trip, so that the results are relevant and accurate.
- Cleansing the body of a cat from parasites – it is recommended to carry out 1-2 weeks before the planned vaccination.
- Conducting double vaccination – the procedure necessary if the animals have not been vaccinated for several years in a row. Vaccinations are given 20 days apart.
In addition to the mandatory measures, you must have a veterinary passport with you, in which the doctor notes each vaccination, writes the number of the vaccine, the date of the event, puts his signature and seal. Without such documentation, it makes no sense to even try to bring a pet with you. In addition, the veterinary certificate is very important, which is given in the state veterinary clinic by a doctor who examines the cat no later than three days before the trip. This certificate states:
- type of pet;
- the number of animals that will be transported, because one document can be issued for several pets at once;
- the age of the cat;
- records of vaccinations and quarantines carried out.
A veterinary certificate in form No. 1 has a three-day validity, therefore it makes no sense to receive it in advance.
Since the collection of all documents takes a lot of time, effort and money, in 2017 Russia changed the rules for transporting animals on Russian Railways, greatly simplifying it. Now the cat needs to buy an additional ticket, because the pet is considered as hand luggage. This rule works if the weight of the animal does not exceed 20 kg. You must have a veterinary certificate with you, which is still valid for 3 days, which is shown when buying a ticket and boarding the car.
You can leave your pet with you only in rigid cars – no one will let you into the SV-car or the superior comfort car with animals. An adult cat or kitten must be in a secure cage with a lock throughout the trip. If any of the rules is not followed, then the passenger may have serious problems, up to disembarkation from the train.
What do you need to take with you?
Any trip should be carefully planned, especially if it will be carried out for a couple with your beloved cat. In order to avoid problems during the purchase of a ticket and the road itself, it is worth taking care of all the nuances in advance. In addition to the basic documents (veterinary certificate and vaccinations), you need to ask what is needed to take your pet abroad. In this case, an international veterinary certificate is also required, for the European Union it should be an EU certificate.
In some cases, the owner is required to microchip the cat before the trip, which can be done in private or city veterinary clinics. If you plan to travel to the United States, then you should know that at the station you will need to fill out a declaration on the importation of a pet into the country. In order not to encounter unexpected obstacles, it is worth studying the regulatory framework regarding the importation of animals into the country where you plan to travel.
When the preparation of documents is completed, it is worth considering what exactly you need to take with you on the road so that the pet is comfortable all the way. The most important things will be food and water. If the cat has not previously traveled far, then it is unlikely that there is a suitable container for it, and without it they will not be allowed on the train. Such containers should be durable, well ventilated, with a reliable lock.
The total weight of the cat and the box must be less than 20 kg, otherwise it will have to be sent to the baggage car. The container dimensions must also be correct, optimally if they correspond to the readings of 50x70x60 or similar, the main thing is that the total number does not exceed 180 cm.
Since the road is long, it is worth foreseeing all situations and taking a first aid kit for the cat with you, which should contain antiemetics, antidiarrheals, painkillers, adsorbents, antiseptics, bandages and cotton wool. If the owner will travel with his pet without companions, then you can take a tray with the contents with you, for the pet to go to the toilet. If this is not possible or the cat refuses to relieve himself in unnatural conditions, you need to cover the bottom of the container with a moisture-absorbing disposable diaper.
It’s a good idea to have a pack of wet wipes with you if you need to clean up after your pet.
To carry out feeding, you need to have two bowls with you – for food and water – or one paired. So that the animal is not bored alone in the cage, and he is not afraid, you can put your favorite toy in the container. Better if it is small and quiet. When traveling, you need to have collar and harness to be able to walk your pet during long stops. If this rule is neglected, then a frightened cat, because of an unfamiliar situation and in new conditions for itself, can get nervous and run away.
For a comfortable trip, it is better to take a warm bedding for the cage with you, especially if you have to take the cat in winter, so that the pet is comfortable and warm. Food and water for a cat must be fresh and clean, so water should be bought non-carbonated in small bottles, and food should only be dry – any other food can deteriorate from improper storage conditions during a long trip. On the first train ride, you can give the cat a sedative so that he calmly perceives everything that happens around him.
In the event that the owner decides to go on a long journey with a pet, he will gently take care of many things. The most important accessory in which the cat will spend all the way is the carrier, and the comfort of the pet and its calm behavior will depend on its correct choice. There are different types of transfers.
- Bag for transporting small animals – it does not have a rigid base and supports, so the cat will be uncomfortable in it for a long time, as there will be a desire to find some kind of support. The fabric walls do not allow air to pass through well, which is why after some time the pet will begin to suffocate in such a bag. This option is convenient for short trips, it is unsuitable for a long journey.
- Frame bag – almost the same as the previous one, with the difference that the bottom has a rigid base and the upper part is attached to stiffeners, so that the product can maintain a certain shape. The problematic place in this case remains the access of fresh air inside the product.
- Plastic box – the most convenient option for transporting pets, especially over long distances. The product has a hard bottom and side walls, in which there are numerous holes that allow air to circulate freely, and the pet to follow everything that happens around, which will help him calm down. A relative disadvantage is only the impressive size of such containers, which are not always convenient to transport by train.
- Metal box – suitable for very active or aggressive animals, since the metal frame will not give a single chance to the furry beast to get out. Among the shortcomings, it is worth mentioning the large weight, the susceptibility of the material to corrosion, unaesthetic, since the box will resemble a cage.
When everything you need is collected, you need to prepare the traveler himself for the upcoming road. This process looks like this:
- the last feeding should be carried out no less than one and a half hours before leaving the apartment for the train;
- if the trip is the first, or the pet is hard to tolerate transportation, then 1-2 hours before the exit, it is worth giving the cat a sedative;
- before leaving the apartment, check all the documents for the animal and the things that it needs on the road;
- take the train in time to get there safely, without exposing the cat to premature stress and shaking;
- the emotional state of the owner must be completely calm so that the pet is also balanced.
If the cat will travel for the first time, and even over a long distance, it is best to give him a sedative. The most popular and effective drugs: “Fitex”, “Stop-stress”, “Fospasim”, “Vetranquil”. Each medicine has its own characteristics and contraindications, in addition, they may have certain side effects.
In order not to get an unpleasant surprise on a trip, it is advisable to give the selected remedy a try in advance, or better, several times in order to know exactly what kind of action to expect from it.
In which wagon can a cat be transported?
To take a pet on a train, you must not only have all the necessary documentation and a pet box with you, but also adhere to the rules for transporting animals in various types of transport. If the trip will be carried out on the Sapsan train, then there are separate places for cats, which are located in the third and eighth cars, where economy class passengers travel. For business and first class, you can travel with a cat in the third car. It should be taken into account that the weight of the box and the cat should not exceed 10 kg, and the dimensions should be within 120 cm. One person can carry no more than two pets, the dimensions of which in total are not more than 180 cm.
If we are talking about the Lastochka train, then you can travel with a pet in carriages 2 and 3C. Specialized seats are provided for such passengers in carriages 5 and 10. If the traveler wants to travel in more comfortable conditions, you can take a suite and pay extra for keeping a cat in it. If the train is “Lastochka Premium”, then there are much more places for traveling with animals in the fifth car, in addition, you can buy a ticket for a luxury car if you travel together with your pet.
If you need to travel on the Allegro train, then the places for transporting cats are located in the sixth car. In this case, it is impossible to agree on the transportation of an animal in rooms with increased comfort. Pets must be in specialized containers with dimensions of 60x45x60 and no more. When buying a ticket, it is very important to clarify several times that the trip will be carried out with a pet. A ticket can be ordered online, on sites where there are also corresponding columns providing for additional services, or it can be purchased at a stationary ticket office at the station.
As for the payment for the transport of a cat, its location, this situation differs in different cars.
- In a shared carriage where passengers travel seated, an additional fee will be required for a pet. The conductor must check the documents and the ticket for the animal.
- Cars 1 and 2B, 2 and 3G – you can take a cat in them at no extra charge.
- In a reserved seat car with 3D and 3U beds, you will need to pay for a pet.
- In a four-seater compartment car, where there are places for lying 2K, 2U, 2L, 2N, the transportation of a cat will also be paid, and in this case it is necessary to provide all the documentation for the animal.
- In double compartments CB, 1B and 1E you can carry a pet free of charge.
- It is also possible to travel with a cat at no additional charge in the two-seater suite, where there are places to lie down and showers 1A, 1I, 1M.
In order for the trip to be calm and comfortable for both the owner and the pet, it is important to clarify in which carriage you can accommodate the cat. It is better to check at the box office, the Internet and directly with the conductors in which car of a particular train you can ride along with a furry animal. Such a check is done in advance so that there is a firm confidence in exactly where to book seats. It is also worth buying the tickets themselves in advance so as not to worry about the availability of the right seats.
If you properly prepare for the trip, then even a long train journey with a cat will be easy and enjoyable.
Useful tips for traveling with a cat by rail are presented in the video below.