Today, among pets, you can meet a cat of the Egyptian Mau breed, its popularity is that it combines beauty and energetic character. Due to the individuality of the spots on the wool, each representative of this breed is the owner of a unique pattern.
Egyptian Mau – characteristics of the breed
The history of this cat begins with antiquity. Previously, she was considered sacred, the personification of the goddess Bastet. The description of the Egyptian Mau breed has been known for several millennia, and to this day the appearance of the animals has not changed. Cats first came to Europe in 1988. Until now, the breed is “closed”, each kitten is mandatory recorded in the stud book and has a pedigree. The main advantage of this breed is wool. Each hair has two or three colors, which gives an incredible effect.
Those who want to buy a kitten are tormented by the question of how much the Egyptian Mau costs and where you can buy it. Currently, a small number of nurseries are breeding this breed. You can buy a purebred representative mainly in America. The average cost of a kitten is high and amounts to more than $2,000. Various factors will influence the final price, for example, the pedigree and the popularity of the cattery.
What does an Egyptian Mau look like?
Cats of this breed are endowed with the following characteristics:
- Medium sized body. Slim and well muscled. There is a loose skin fold on the abdomen, thanks to which they can take big steps.
- The Egyptian Mau cat breed has short paws.. The hind legs are longer than the front ones, but due to the peculiarities of the gait, the back looks even. Paws are rounded, longer on the hind toes than on the front.
- Medium length tailthe thickness is the same along the entire length, but towards the end it tapers.
- Wedge-shaped head. A hump is noticeable in the nose area. The Egyptian Mau, the photo of which is presented here, has a wide nose. The ears are larger than medium in size, pointed at the ends and set high. The eyes are large and almond shaped.
- The coat is short and thick. Soft and silky to the touch. The rings of the necklace adorn the chest, on the front paws from the shoulder to the hip there are transverse stripes.
- Cat weight 3-4 kg, cat 5-6 kg. At the same time, according to breeders, males are much more graceful than females.
Egyptian Mau – color
In nature, there are several different colors, but all of them have outlined spots of different colors. Sometimes there is an Egyptian black or marbled Mau, but this is rather a breed defect, such animals are not allowed on exhibitions and nurseries do not deal with them, and the colors are called “wild”. These cats have the following types of coat:
- Smoky. The rarest color in the Egyptian Mau breed. There are black markings all over the body.
- Bronze. The main color is brown, lighter near the belly. Drawing on the body is dark brown. Ears are pinkish brown.
- Silver. The most common shade. Near the nose and eyes, on the neck and chin there is a white color. The nose, mouth and eyes are outlined in black.
Egyptian Mau – character
Connoisseurs refer this breed to devoted animals. They are very attached to people and want to be involved in everything. The Egyptian Mau cat is endowed with the following qualities:
- Mind. Animals are very smart, easy to learn and understand intonations in the voice of the owner. In addition, they learn to open doors and shelves in a short period of time.
- Devotion. They love to spend a lot of time with their owners and do not tolerate loneliness.
- Sociability. The Egyptian Mau loves to be the center of attention. The pet begins to wag its tail and jump on its hind legs.
- playfulness. The cat likes an active life, she loves to play and walk on the street. It is important that the animal has a lot of toys, and it does not get bored in the absence of the owner.
- Cleanliness. The pet willingly relieves himself in the tray, without causing trouble to the owner. Cats love water, bathe and play.
Like their ancestors who loved to hunt small rodents, modern Egyptian Mau breeds love to chase someone or something and love all games that resemble hunting. In order for things not to become their toys, it is recommended to provide the pet with a good set. During communication, cats make a lot of sounds and wag their tail. Animals love water.
Egyptian Mau – features
Each breed has some differences from others. The Egyptian Mau cat is endowed with the following features:
- short coat without undercoat;
- the coat color is called the scarab beetle;
- the letter “M” is drawn on the forehead;
- eyes are lined with arrows;
- folds hanging between the legs;
- animals can reach a speed of 58 km/h.
Egyptian Mau – defects
These animals have standards that distinguish purebred representatives from others. The Egyptian Mau breed may have the following defects:
- short or round head;
- small ears;
- full cheeks;
- oriental or round eyes;
- massive body;
- merging spots;
- the necklace is not broken.
What to feed the Egyptian Mau?
There are no exact nutritional recommendations, the Egyptian Mau is a cat that loves to eat, like other predators. To prevent obesity, it is important to ration portions to the needs of the animal. The main principle of feeding is the absence of a combination of food of different types. To ensure the individual characteristics of the animal, you can choose ready-made food of the following brands: Royal Canin, Bozita, Akana, Pro Plan, Hill’s, Eukanuba. The main thing is to have enough clean water, which should be located near the feed.
The basis of the natural diet is finely chopped meat (beef, rabbit meat, chicken), it is forbidden to cook it, but it is recommended to freeze it before giving it to the animal. In addition, the following products can become a complete food for the Egyptian Mau breed:
- cottage cheese;
- curdled milk;
- sea fish;
Egyptian Mau – diseases
Like many other animals, cats of this breed can get sick. Through the efforts of breeders, it was possible to significantly improve health, but some problems remained. The life expectancy of this breed is 13-15 years. Egyptian Mau cat can suffer from such diseases:
- genetic diseases;
- hypertrophic cardiomyopathy;
- Krabbe disease;
- heart disease.