Brindle cats, or, more simply, striped cats, are especially popular. This is a natural pattern for wild cats: European forest, manul, reed. This feature is fixed in some domestic breeds. Let us tell you in more detail what varieties of “minke whales” exist and what are the features of caring for them.
Tabby cats can have different patterns and patterns, as well as different shades of wool. Some wear fur coats that resemble tiger ones, others wear leopard ones, while others have a mixed pile pattern. Some types of tiger cats have remained to live in the wild, but the main part has long been domesticated. There are also artificially created breeds, which are quite expensive. To begin with, let’s talk in a few words about wild animals that are the ancestors of domestic purrs.
There are three main subspecies of the tabby wild cat:
- northern tigerwhich originally lived in Brazil, Venezuela;
- southern tiger, its main habitat is Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, Uruguay;
- leopard spotted found mainly in Western Venezuela and Ecuador.
Some exotic animal lovers try to get wild cats such as serval, ocelot at home, but perhaps the oncilla has the most unusual appearance. And this is not surprising, because unlike other cats, she does not have 38 chromosomes, but 36. She loves an active night life, and during the day she tries to sit out on elevated surfaces, from where she can assess the situation and keep it under control. In a word, you cannot grow a cute tame fluffy from an oncilla, and you should keep it in a spacious aviary.
Their population is not numerous, the oncilla is recognized as a vulnerable species and is included in the CITES trade convention, so it is not easy to buy such a cat.
As favorite pets, domesticated and bred animals are much more suitable.
Among them there are also very unusual species that can become the pride of the owners, such as minitigers (toygers), Bengals and other tiger cats.
Description of rocks
Consider the types and breeds of tiger cats that take root well in the house.
These rather large individuals, depending on the sex, weigh 5-7 kg, have a muscular body, a long muzzle with a large nose, and rather small ears. The color of the toygers is as similar as possible to the tiger. According to experts, six of them are hypoallergenic. They are very attached to their owners, love children and other animals and try to communicate with family members as much as possible, but in response to aggression they can stand up for themselves. Toygers shed little, therefore they do not leave hairs on clothes, it is enough just to comb their hair sometimes for aesthetic purposes.
Their hind legs are slightly larger than their front ones, so these cats look like leopards. Unlike toygers, their fur can have patterns not only of stripes, but also of spots. The coat is golden, chocolate or transitional shades, pads on the paws and the tip of the tail are black. The average weight of Bengal cats is 5-7 kg.
They do not need combing, have a peaceful nature, love to swim and walk on a leash with the owner.
This is the name of affectionate animals of medium size brown colors in different shades, from beige to chocolate. At the same time, their coat and body are decorated with black spots, which is a hallmark of the breed. They feel bad in the cold, so they like to stay at home. Such cats are hypersensitive, may experience problems with the nervous system and even convulsions.
Cats of this breed have an elongated graceful body, they are very fond of games, so you should stock up on accessories to entertain such active animals. Despite such a lively disposition, sociability and love of hunting, they are often prone to diseases. These are large luxurious animals with an elongated, thin body, slightly disproportionate.
Those who prefer silver or almost white brindle cats will find their own version among the Mau species, there are also golden striped and leopard ones among these beauties.
It is considered the most expensive breed. Such a cat is affectionate and gentle, does not shed, does not cause allergies. Representatives of the Ashera breed are rare animals, only about 100 kittens are born per year. They grow into large individuals that need expensive care.
A distinctive feature is the large wide-set eyes, which even in some animals are multi-colored. Ears are rounded or with small tassels. This cat does not have the graceful long body of a Bengal or Mau, but its developed torso and powerful strong paws arouse no less admiration for the owners. Long-lived among cats – lives from 15 to 20 years.
Today, this breed bypasses many others in popularity, as its representatives have a really unusual look and look like a dachshund. Officially, it was approved relatively recently, in 1991. At any age, Munchkins retain a cheerful disposition and love to play like kittens. They love to jump on different surfaces and climb up.
Because of their short limbs, they are advised to buy a low litter tray.
These cats have been widely known in Russia for a long time. Large animals with impressive weight due to long hair seem even fuller. Males often weigh 10 or even 12 kg. Among lovers of fluffy “minke whales” are in demand. They live long enough – up to 17 years.
Conditions for keeping
Tiger cats, like other pets, require the care and attention of their owners. The conditions of detention for all domestic felines will be similar. It is good if the animal will have its own corner in the house, where there will be items for games, a scratching post. Places for food and toilet cats usually remember quickly. These pets are very clean, but most of them do not like water procedures, and experts still recommend washing domestic cats about 1 time in 2 months.
Combing the fur will also not be superfluous.
What to feed?
The issue of nutrition is fundamental in the maintenance of animals. Ration is worth choose depending on the breed, taking into account the advice of experts.
- Toyger has good health and experts do not give special recommendations on feeding it. It is sometimes advised to offer solid food to prevent dental disease.
- In Bengal cats also good health, their life expectancy is up to 15 years. Such expensive animals, as a rule, are fed either with high-quality natural products – fish, meat, or expensive cat food with vitamins.
- Delicate sokoke it is advised to keep them on a balanced diet with vitamin E and taurine, because their heart and metabolism may be weak.
- Mau often suffer from allergies, asthma and heart disorders, so they especially need special feed for this breed. If the cat has a tendency to these ailments, be sure to feed your pet properly.
- Chic Ushers it is recommended to give natural products – high-quality beef, poultry, ocean fish, and leave dry food as an additive to the rest of the diet.
- american shorthair cats love to eat so that this does not lead to problems, it is advised to feed them twice a day, and not on demand. Do not forget to sometimes pamper them with dietary boiled meat, they love it very much.
- If you took on the maintenance of munchkins, then, depending on age, experts advise feeding them 2 to 5 times a day: kittens more often, and older animals less often. Babies who are only a few months old are advised to give cereals, dairy products, meat, and adults can be easily transferred to regular food, wet or dry.
- Siberian cats are very large, and it is important to correctly calculate the amount of food. Usually 30-60 grams of feed is given per 1 kg of weight. To keep the coat looking beautiful and shiny, a diet containing 70% protein is recommended until the age of 3 years.
If we talk about breeding Siberian cats, then it is quite easy to purchase them in catteries or from breeders. As for overseas beauties, some breeds can only be found in single nurseries, and you will have to pay a considerable amount for such exotics.
Toygers cost from 1 to 3 thousand dollars, an individual capable of giving birth to kittens will cost twice as much. They can be bought in official nurseries in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Zelenograd. Mau is an expensive breed, it costs up to 100 thousand in the official Moscow nursery. Sokoke, who need quite painstaking care due to health problems, can get by at the same price.
The most expensive are Usher cats, the price for them can reach one and a half million rubles or 20-30 thousand dollars if it is a kitten with documents.
The choice of a cat depends on your wishes and needs. Thoroughbred animals for many become a source of pride, but they often really need special care and expensive specialized feed, as they do not have such good health as the ordinary “murki” living in our country for generations. You need to weigh your options in order to provide the proper conditions for a thoroughbred pet.
An overview of the Bengal cat is presented in the following video.