Chow Chow dogs are one of the most amazing breeds in the world. The unusual appearance has made representatives of this species popular among breeders and lovers of four-legged friends. Having appeared in ancient China, dogs were used as watchmen or fighters.
Description of the Chow Chow breed
The unusual exterior of a pet is the first thing that catches your eye. Luxurious wool coat, scowling expression of the muzzle and incomparable purple Chow Chow tongue make the animal unique. The popularity of quadrupeds does not decrease over time. This characteristic of the Chow Chow breed does not mean that it is just a handsome plush. The features of a four-legged friend include:
- devotion to the owner;
- independence of character;
- difficulty with training;
- kindness to other pets.
History of the Chow Chow
The exact date when the breed was bred has not been established. It is known that the history of the Chow Chow breed has several millennia. There are different versions of the appearance of unusual dogs in ancient China. According to one of them, the breed was presented to the Chinese emperor by the Mongols, and they took the dog they liked as a trophy during raids on the Siberian peoples. Archaeologists have discovered the remains of the ancestors of fluffy dogs in the northern territories.
Over time, the Chow Chow breed, the description of which is found in ancient books, spread throughout Asian countries. At the end of the XVIII century. exotic dogs appeared in Europe. There, representatives of the English royal family drew attention to them. Selective breeding of animals, improvement of the breed and approval of the standard began. They came to the territory of Russia after the end of the Second World War. They were brought from the Eastern part of Germany. In 1976, the first chow-chow clubs appeared in the Leningrad region.
Chow Chow Breed Standard
The popularity of the breed in Russia and in other countries is due to its unusual appearance. The main points of what a chow chow looks like:
- Growth. The height at the withers varies from 46 to 56 cm, depending on the gender.
- The weight. A female can gain from 20 to 27 kg, a male – 25-32 kg.
- Head. The dog’s skull is flat, wide, without a pronounced stop.
- Muzzle. Large, medium length with a slightly depressed front.
- Eyes. Small in size and oval in shape, pupils are clearly marked.
- Ears. Medium sized with thick shells. The ears are set wide apart and slightly tilted forward.
- Neck. Strong, muscular with a harmonious curve.
- Tail. It is located high on the back.
- Paws. Powerful fore and hind limbs are of medium length and strong muscles.
chow chow colors
A long and very dense hairline with a soft undercoat of a dog is its main wealth. A characteristic mane is formed around the cervical region, very reminiscent of a lion’s. On the hind limbs, the hair is longer. The color of the Chow Chow must be uniform, only shades within the same color are allowed. Spotting is considered a fault of the breed and is subject to disqualification at specialized shows. There are such colors of Chow Chow:
Chow Chow character
The original appearance of the animal is combined with some features of its mentality. A scowling expression on the face can create a false impression of arrogance and heartlessness of the dog. Owner reviews claim that Chow Chow is a breed devoted to man. Other character traits that the future owner of the four-legged should be aware of:
- Restraint in the manifestation of feelings, balance.
- Loyalty to only one owner, whom the Chow Chow recognizes as the leader.
- Will not tolerate excessive and active caresses from children, which their parents should take into account.
- Friendliness to pets that live in the same area. Except for dogs that are not related to their breed.
- Dogs are wary of strangers, but they will not show aggression without a reason.
How to choose a Chow Chow puppy?
Before you buy a baby of this breed, you need to decide what it is for. If chow chow puppies are bred for further participation in exhibitions and championships, then they must fully comply with exterior standards. Companion dogs or just pets can have some disqualifying features: floppy ears, spotted tongue, malocclusion and narrow chest.
Males are the most suitable for show specimens. Males better match all the parameters of the breed and look more impressive. Chow Chow females make good companions. They are very gentle and affectionate. Their attachment to humans is more pronounced than that of males. Other features of choice:
- Acquire a puppy only with a veterinary passport, which indicates a comprehensive vaccination. Vaccinations are done at 4 weeks and a month and a half, and then every year.
- Mouth, baby’s tongue should be blue-black. Ears are almost completely raised by two months.
- Before buying, it is worth observing the behavior of a Chow Chow puppy. Too cowardly or aggressive representatives must be rejected.
- Eyes, ears should be clean, without purulent discharge, redness.
- How much the Chow Chow costs can be judged by the offers of the official breeders of the breed. The most expensive are future champions. Their price can reach $380-470. Puppies with conformation defects will cost less. They sell for $70-100.
You can start representatives of this unusual breed in a city apartment. A large Chow Chow dog will not disturb the neighbors with its loud barking. Animals do not like long walks over long distances. Because of this, chow chows are great for older couples or families with children. Walking your pet is a great outdoor activity. When kept on the street, you need to provide the pet with a comfortable aviary with a booth of a suitable size.
Leash for chow-chow
In the conditions of the city, it is important to regularly stay a pet on the street. However, this environment is dangerous for Chow Chows. Stray animals, cars can cause great harm to your pet or lead to death. Keeping a Chow Chow in an apartment is impossible without using a suitable leash or harness for daily walks. It must meet the following requirements:
- be not very narrow;
- do not wipe the animal’s hair;
- be made of material or leather;
- do not have iron spikes inside the product.
Large breeds of dogs must have a certain set of ammunition. In addition to a harness or leash, a growing Chow Chow puppy needs to purchase a muzzle. It is useful during the transportation of animals in public transport, the presence of dogs in crowded places. Thanks to the muzzle, the pet will not be able to pick up spoiled pieces of food from the ground. During a visit to the veterinary clinic, the device contributes to the calm work of the doctor. There are different types of muzzles, which you can pick up in a zoological shop. The most popular are:
Care and maintenance of chow-chow
According to the reviews of breeders and owners, pets are very clean and tidy. Long wool of a special structure is almost not subject to pollution. Because of this, the Chow Chow breed does not need frequent bathing and combing. The main points of pet care are:
- Hairdressing procedures no more than once a week.
- Bathing with special shampoos (for example, “GAV” “Hypoallergenic” and “Prophylactic”) for long-haired dog breeds twice a year or before each show.
- Regularly clean the eyes and ears of the dog with cotton pads dipped in water.
What to feed chow chow?
Representatives of a large breed need a carefully balanced diet. The menu may consist of natural products or industrial feed. Puppies begin to be transferred from breastfeeding to low-fat sour-milk products at the age of 1.5-2 months. The Chow Chow diet should be enriched with vitamin and mineral supplements. They are useful for the development of a pet at any age. All elements valuable for health are contained in Dog Chow dog food. Allowed food for pets:
- low-fat meat products;
- sea fish fillet;
- cereals from buckwheat, rice and oatmeal;
Prohibited foods in the pet’s diet:
- sweets and flour products;
- fatty meats;
- fish with a high bone content;
- fruits and berries.
The richest, thickest and longest coat is a feature of males. The hairline of those Chow Chows that spend a lot of time outdoors or live in equipped enclosures looks very good. Such content is allowed only from the age of six months. Males and females from 12 months. It is recommended to go to the groomer twice a year. A properly trimmed Chow Chow will not suffer from tangles or overheating during the hot season. You can carry out the procedure at home. For this purpose, you need to purchase:
- comb with long teeth;
- scissors with rounded ends;
- device for cutting tangles.
Chow chow training
Representatives of the breed are very reminiscent of plush toys. However, their feature is a solid, wayward character. To raise an obedient pet, it is important to be patient and consistent. Aggression or excessive indulgence will not bring positive results in training. A pet, feeling the weakness or anger of the owner, will become untrainable. Features of the training process:
- Early socialization. Puppies need to be trained from the moment he appears in the house. This will help to get a well-mannered adult.
- Contact with family members. Domestic Chows and children should interact well with each other. A child should not be too pestering a plush pet.
- Learning to command. Classes need to start with simple orders. After they are repeatedly performed the first time, you can move on to more complex tasks.
- promotion. It is important to praise the animal, treat it with a treat for each correctly and quickly executed command.
Chow chow diseases
Large dogs are in good health. It is strengthened by timely visits to the veterinarian and routine vaccinations. These measures determine how long Chow Chows live. Pet immunity can be maintained with the help of vitamin and mineral complexes, which are used as directed by a doctor. There are a number of ailments that the Chow Chow dog breed suffers from due to genetic inheritance. Representatives of the species suffer from atopic dermatitis, congenital myopathy, inversion of the eyelids. Other common chow chow ailments are:
- hip dysplasia;
- obesity due to overeating;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- dysfunction of the gastrointestinal tract.
Chow chow nicknames
Representatives of the species have an unusual appearance, so they need to give interesting and non-standard nicknames. The name should reflect the individual characteristics of the pet, be sonorous, memorable. The most popular nicknames for chow chow boys:
Common names for girls: