Every living being has its own smell, pleasant or unpleasant. This also applies to dogs. For those who are considering purchasing a pet, there are several selection criteria. And one of them is the absence of a dog smell. Are there such breeds or is it just another myth? The answer to this question is of fundamental importance for owners of apartment dogs, because they will have to sniff the smell of a pet around the clock.
Causes of an unpleasant odor
Anyone who thinks that the smell of a dog is associated with the work of the sweat glands is wrong. In dogs, an unpleasant odor is emitted by the skin glands, which produce oil to lubricate the coat. In some breeds of hunting dogs, as well as those who live in conditions of low temperatures, these glands work much more actively. This means that the smell will be much stronger. But this fat protects the animal from frost and getting wet.
But the sweat glands located between the toes can both stink of dirty socks and emit a pleasant aroma. To get rid of the smell, the pet’s paws must be treated regularly, including after a walk.
Another reason for the appearance of an unpleasant odor is pheromones, the smell of which increases during estrus and decreases after sterilization. Males always emit a stronger unpleasant odor.
Improper care or its complete absence behind the ears and oral cavity of the animal is a very common cause of stench. If the owner cares, but an unpleasant smell has appeared, then we can talk about a disease. And in this case, you should contact your veterinarian.
The next reason is age. Puppies have a pleasant smell, but the older the dog, the more pronounced the dog smell. This is especially felt if the animal’s coat is wet.
After all, fat also gets wet with the dog – a lubricant that emits a smell.
And so it turns out that almost all of the named causes of dog odor are related to the care of the animal. You can be convinced of this if, before buying a puppy from a breeder, you observe the living conditions of dogs: if everything is clean around, and the dog smells like a dog, then the puppy will be the same. If unsanitary conditions reign in the house, you should not contact such breeders. If you take into the house a purebred dog or a breed without documents, then no one will give you a guarantee of how your pet will develop.
Can a dog smell at all?
Thanks to the sense of smell, we can recognize familiar people even with our eyes closed. The same thing happens with dogs, but they have a much finer sense of smell. The smell of a stranger will cause aggression or interest. Therefore, animals cannot smell at all, just like people. Therefore, if you are promised an absolutely odorless breed, this is a scam for big or little money. Even if all hygiene procedures are followed, the pet will smell.
But whether it will be the smell of a dog or flowers is a big question. Because there are still types of dogs with a certain set of characteristics that practically do not emit an unpleasant smell. These breeds include the following.
- Hairless or hairless dogs. For those who decide to choose just such a pet, you need to know that his skin will require additional care: protection from ultraviolet rays and frost with creams and clothes, regular washing, as sebum will shine on the body.
- Long haired dogs without undercoat. It is the undercoat that is impregnated with grease, and if there is no undercoat, there is no dog smell. But this does not mean that the dog will be fragrant with roses. After all, long wool absorbs all the surrounding smells: kitchens and streets, tobacco and river mud. Only good care will save the pet and all family members from the stench.
- Semi-longhair and shorthair types without undercoat acquire the smell of dog when wet. In this case, try to quickly dry the coat with a cool stream of air.
- Hard-haired breeds without undercoat in the presence of small sizes, individuals give a minimal smell of dog.
- Poodle – the breed is long-haired, with an undercoat, thick hair, but almost without an unpleasant odor.
- Theoretically, non-shedding dogs are odorless and hypoallergenic. In practice, it all depends on the conditions of detention and the health of the pet.
And again, the thought that a lot depends on care is a red thread.
How often can you read 99 great reviews about an odorless Chinese Crested, and the 100th author will argue that this is impossible, they just lost their scent. Which one to believe is up to you. We will introduce dog breeds recognized by most owners as odorless dogs.
The list of such breeds is rather long. You can choose an animal by size, coat length and other criteria. But do not forget that the pet may have other problems in the content.
- For example, dalmatian – a handsome man, known to many. A short-haired breed without an undercoat initially does not smell like a dog (ambre may appear with age). But breeders note that this dog sheds a lot. Another problem is hyperactivity: the dog needs movement and physical activity all the time. Such an intelligent beast must be educated, try to become his friend, otherwise he will become your master.
- Several breeds of terriers are odorless. For example, Yorkshire Terrier, which gradually turned from a hunting dog into a decorative one. Friendly animals get along well with children and animals, ready to protect their master. The long-haired breed without an undercoat needs regular grooming, visits to the groomer or home haircuts. To keep the dog clean, it is often dressed up in overalls during street walks, and some owners cut their hair short.
- Another popular terra pet is west highland white terrier. The burrow hunter remains one today, but many use this mischievous, restless dog as a companion. The White Scottish Beauty not only has a dog-free coat, but is also hypoallergenic. West is a very loyal pet, perfectly trainable, although it has a stubborn character. The Cairn Terrier has similar characteristics.
- American Hairless Terrier may be small or large. It is easy to recognize the breed by soft bare skin with contrasting spots of almost any color and sideburns. The American is friendly, sociable. He is comfortable with other animals, and he considers cats his friends. Such a dog is idolized by families with children, as it is an excellent nanny and security guard.
She, like all bald breeds, needs special skin care: frequent bathing or rubbing with wet wipes, using cream for burns and frostbite before going out, taking care of watery eyes.
- Scottish Terrier (Scottish Terrier) – muscular and strong hunter, in need of physical activity and long walks. In the absence of training, mood swings can be observed: funny games can instantly be replaced by aggression. But this beautiful protector of his master with a long silky coat has a decisive and persistent character.
- Tibetan Terrier does not belong to this group, it got its name by chance, because it looks like terriers. The decorative dog has a medium size, thick and shaggy coat that does not shed. The main quality of the Tibetan is called friendliness. He is hardy, reliable, loyal, suitable for families with an active lifestyle, and for quiet walks at a leisurely pace.
- Another Tibetan is the Shih Tzu, or Buddha dog. Among the odorless dogs, this breed occupies one of the leading positions. But if the long coat is not cared for, then the Shih Tzu can absorb other unpleasant odors. A friendly and majestic dog is a good companion for a calm owner and a playful child. Representatives of this breed are often chosen as a symbol of happiness and prosperity.
- Maltese dog (maltese) will please not only the absence of a dog smell, but also the absence of molting, which is important for allergy sufferers. Today, the purebred Maltese has only a white color, a long silky coat. A decorative dog is a wonderful companion for all family members.
- bichon frize – Another breed of white lapdogs from France. It is distinguished from the Maltese by a curly long silky coat, which requires additional care. Another distinctive sign is the bichon, which is translated from French as a beard. Miniature dogs do not have an unpleasant odor, which is great for home keeping. The Bichon, being an adult dog, will play with children, but can also keep an adult company while watching TV.
The beast is very friendly with both people and animals.
- Everyone compares the Brussels Griffon to Star Wars hero Chewbacca. But its dimensions are very different, because the griffin was bred for catching rodents. This is a pet with a high level of intelligence, so it lends itself well to training. Reddish pets become friends with children, adults, and animals (not rodents). But griffins are quite calm animals, so they do not like noisy games and children’s squeals. To avoid unwanted behavior, the dog must be educated. Regular care includes combing, cutting, bathing, prevention of eye diseases and obesity.
- Chinese Crested may be bald, but with hair on the head, tail and legs, or long-haired without undercoat. The perky crest gave not only the name, but also a charming look to this dog. The breed does not have a dog odor, and proper care and nutrition will ensure that it does not have other unpleasant odors. Crested occupies a leading position among odorless dogs, according to the owners of these pets. The breed is very smart, friendly, active, does not like loneliness at all. Due to the lack of hair on the body, she needs clothes for walking.
- Greyhound – a small greyhound from Italy. This is a breed of dog with a muscular body, short and smooth coat and no unpleasant odors. It is called a reduced copy of the Greyhound. Borzoi, of course, need physical activity, as the breed is very active. With proper upbringing and training, the dog will be an excellent companion for adults and children. But she does not always get along with animals.
- Central African basenji can be called one of the cleanest dogs. The short, smooth coat, the absence of unpleasant odors and the almost complete absence of shedding make the dog comfortable for home keeping. She licks herself like a cat. But the basenji is very active, mobile, cheerful, with a perky tail-ball. Breeders say that the dog has a sense of humor. And in combination with her sad look because of the folds on the muzzle, we can say that the basenji is a wise dog.
Another feature of the breed is the absence of barking, which it compensates for with other sounds: snorting, squealing, howling. Experts say that due to the high level of concentration of attention, the African woman on the street is given over to the surrounding smells and can run at a sprint speed for an object or creature of interest.
Therefore, it is important to pay great attention to raising a pet.
This is not a complete list of breeds. Breeders and dog lovers classify them as odorless dogs poodles, spaniels, pekingese, chihuahuas, miniature pinschers, prague rats, different types of schnauzers, spitz, xoloitzcuintle, grynendael, shiba inu and other breeds.
Features of care
All these breeds will really please you not only with their appearance, character, but also with a pleasant smell, if they are regularly looked after. But many breeds have a stubborn, capricious character, so some effort will have to be made to achieve the result.
- If an unpleasant smell is emitted by the body, then perhaps the dog is sick. In this case, you should definitely consult a doctor.
- Foul smell from the ears and eyes may be due to otitis media or conjunctivitis. This also happens with improper nutrition or inappropriate food. Many breed standards allow clipping or plucking excess hair from the ears. Ear cleaning is a must. As for the eyes, here you need to be especially careful with breeds that have a lower eyelid or constantly watery eyes. It is necessary to regularly wipe them with cotton pads, if necessary, treat them with a solution of tea leaves or eye drops.
- The putrid spirit from the mouth is caused by several reasons: uncleaned teeth, rotten teeth, sore gums, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Brush your pet’s teeth at least 2 times a week. For self-cleaning, chewing toothpicks are used – bones that dogs really like. For other problems, please contact your veterinarian.
- Smelly paws are the result of sweat glands and street walks. In both cases, regular washing of paws, as well as cutting hair and claws, will help.
- Even short-haired or hairless dogs can have an unpleasant smell from the groin and rear. What can we say about long-haired pets. That is why the hairline around the anus and genitals is cut off. This can be done by the groomer or the owner himself. And don’t forget to wash your dog’s private parts as needed.
- With hormonal changes during estrus, amber intensifies. The dog is washed immediately after estrus.
- After the street, the dog is also washed as needed: only paws, paws and stomach, or completely. For washing, you need to use a dog shampoo, since hp (acidity level) in dogs and people is different.
- After eating, the chin of long-haired dogs is wiped with a damp cloth or washed.
- It is better to dry the dog first with a towel, and then with a non-hot hair dryer. This will avoid the smell of wet dog, and will also preserve the structure of the coat. Hairless dogs can simply be dried thoroughly.
- Dogs should be brushed and trimmed regularly, and wirehaired dogs should be trimmed regularly. If this is not done, then tangles will form in the wool, food debris, dust, street dirt will get stuck.
- An unpleasant odor may appear when changing food. It is not recommended to give the dog 2 unfamiliar products in one day, otherwise it will not be clear what exactly caused the reaction. Ambre may appear in case of metabolic disorders, an excess of carbohydrates.
- When the climate changes within a couple of weeks, the smell of the dog may change.
After acclimatization, it should disappear.
About dog breeds with and without smell, see the following video.