If you want to get a dog but can’t make up your mind, this article will help you. What do you need to know before taking this important step? First of all, realize that this is a huge responsibility. Having a dog at home has both pros and cons. A puppy is worth getting, but you need to weigh the pros and cons. Remember that you must not only ensure a comfortable existence for the pet, but also for yourself. Be sure to evaluate factors such as work, lifestyle, degree of activity.
What should you prepare for?
A puppy in the house is a real member of the family, but at first you will not be easy. Be sure to consider the following nuances:
- before the dog learns to walk, you will have to clean up puddles and other troubles after him;
- sleepless nights are provided until the dog grows up;
- your lifestyle will change dramatically.
Only if you really assess your capabilities, you can prepare for the meeting of the baby. The dog needs to buy:
- collar and leash;
- a tag with information about the dog, which indicates the name of the dog, phone number, your coordinates;
- first aid medicines;
- bowls for food and water;
- toys in sufficient quantity;
- claw cutter;
- couch with removable pillowcases.
And most importantly – it will take a lot of your time, which is quite difficult if you work all day.
Approach responsibly to the choice of breed. A lot depends on this: the size of the dog, the quantity and quality of food, the complexity of grooming procedures, and the ease of education. Regardless of breed, the first thing you should provide your dog with is a name. The decision should not be spontaneous, the nickname is chosen carefully. It is better to choose a simple, uncomplicated, which is easy to pronounce. Also, eliminate all variations that sound similar to commands. Otherwise, the training will turn into a confusing action and it will not be easy for the dog to navigate.
Experienced dog breeders recommend paying attention to the following nuances:
- bringing a puppy into the house is necessary only after he has prepared his place;
- the corner of the dog should be its own, located not in the aisle, away from heating devices, drafts, safe and comfortable;
- start training with the simplest commands: “fu”, “sit”, “lie down”;
- it is necessary to educate the dog from the first days of his stay in the house, otherwise the accustoming to discipline will be delayed;
- the purpose of education is not only memorizing commands, but also determining leadership, accustoming to certain rules of living;
- the puppy must be socialized in time so that he is not afraid of people, other animals, otherwise the reaction may be inadequate;
- introducing a puppy to other dogs is possible only after all vaccinations have been given to him;
- in education, use the method of encouragement, punishment, but never shout or use force;
- the regime is very important for the dog, walk him every day at about the same hours.
- In order for the dog to develop well and have good health, it is necessary to show it to the veterinarian annually. It is advisable to find a competent specialist immediately after the acquisition and diagnose the puppy for parasites. Before buying, be sure to check if the puppy has been vaccinated.
- Fleas are a scourge for animals, a dog with insects will constantly itch, but it’s quite difficult to protect yourself from them, they live on the street and other dogs. Ticks are even more dangerous, they can be contagious. After walking, you need to check if there are ticks on the pet. An insect collar will cope with these troubles.
- Combing is a procedure that is a necessity. Smooth-haired dogs are combed less often, but during the molting period, almost all dogs need combing 1-2 times a day. The longer the coat, the more difficult it is to care for it.
- The frequency of water procedures depends on the breed. Washing too often is unhealthy for some dogs, although they generally enjoy the activity. Washing is carried out using special products for dogs. After a walk, the dog is wiped or washed paws.
- Fresh water should be available to your pet at all times. Puppies are fed about 5-6 times a day, adult dogs 2 times. A balanced diet of a dog is a guarantee of its health and good development, it is impossible to save on it.
- For all breeds, obesity and overeating are dangerous. It is strictly forbidden to feed your dog your own food. In no case should a dog be given salted, peppered, smoked, sweet, flour, grapes.
- Dogs regularly need to brush their teeth with a special brush, and also periodically give a bone to gnaw with fluoride.
- The dog must have enough toys, otherwise he will start playing with your things and ruin them.
10 reasons for a dog
A four-legged friend in the house gives a person a lot of advantages. Life with her will never be the same again. There are ten points that are especially worth noting.
- A chidhood dream. In fact, every child in childhood dreams of a dog. Getting a dog means realizing the dream of your child. But there is danger in this as well. A puppy is not a toy, in no case should it be considered from this point of view. Assess the age of children – how they are able to understand how to handle an animal. And even if the child begs you for a dog and swears that he will clean up after it himself, all the same, all responsibility will fall on you.
But there is a responsible approach to choosing a dog, you will give the child an excellent opportunity to become more independent, to learn to be responsible for someone.
- Adult dream. Most often, parents do not meet children’s desires and do not buy dogs. Therefore, most adults realize this dream much later, acquiring a dog. Mature people are often surprised how much they were able to attach to the dog, what deep positive emotions they experienced.
- Willingness to care. The dog realizes this need to the fullest. Different people can strive to take care of someone: the elderly, the lonely. childless. On the contrary, parents whose children have grown up and no longer require constant care. In general, everyone who experiences a lack of communication is recommended to get a dog. After all, many find pleasure in caring for others.
- Parting with loneliness. A dog is able to become a friend to a not too sociable person, a lonely old man, a closed introvert. The dog will forever relieve the loneliness of a person with special needs who has few friends.
- Love. The boundless affection, unconditional love and devotion of the snake dog has become a legend. If you want to be loved and accepted unconditionally, just the way you are, get a dog. She does not need a reward, wealth, success. She will equally love absolutely any caring owner.
- Protection. This is from the realm of practicality, sometimes we ourselves, and even our house, need protection. If you live in a private home, a watchdog is more of a necessity than a desire.
- Professional help. Dogs are capable of many things: guarding borders, looking for drugs, saving people, hunting, guarding herds. In everyday life, a pet can solve many important problems, become a guide dog or a therapy dog for a family member in need.
- Once again about love. But now to dogs, not to humans. If you love dogs but haven’t had a pet yet for various reasons, you should give it a try. Dog lovers cannot live without dogs and start them against all odds.
- Organization. The dog is the mode. Being the owner of a dog, it is impossible to be a careless person who does not know how to plan anything. The dog needs to be walked twice a day, fed, cared for, and socialized. This is a great way to learn responsibility and planning.
- Mood. A person who has a dog cannot be gloomy. The pet will be able to cheer up anyone. After all, dogs are cheerfulness itself.
There are many other reasons in favor of getting a dog – it will make you change your sedentary lifestyle, walk more, heal during sadness, occupy the child’s attention, and be good for his health and development. But there are some drawbacks that you need to be familiar with before you buy a puppy.
This is some fly in the ointment necessary for sound decision making.
- A dog is expensive. Yes, alas, a good puppy costs decent money, then you will need to show it to the doctor, buy toys for it, feed it, treat it.
- It requires a lot of time and effort. If you are not sure that you can pay enough attention to the dog, you should not buy it. In addition, the pet will have to be educated, accustomed to a leash, walking, and norms of behavior. If this is not done, the dog will grow uncontrollable.
- Loneliness for many breeds is contraindicated. If you are constantly at work, it is better to give up the desire to have a four-legged friend. The way out may be the choice of a breed that does not need constant communication, more independent, not too energetic.
- Having children plays a big role in buying a dog. But not all breeds are suitable for children!
- You will need an abyss of patience. The puppy will crap, spoil things, scatter them. Yelling and hitting dogs is not allowed!
- Travels. If you love travel, consider that you will either have to give it up or seek shelter for a dog during your travels.
- Relaxation. No, the pet will only go to frolic at a picnic, but you can hardly go to a nightclub and stay until the morning if you haven’t walked the dog since the evening. And on Sunday morning you won’t be able to sleep until 12 o’clock.
At normal times, you will be forced to get up and lead a friend outside.
On the pros and cons of a dog in the family, see below.